Dawson Creek Subdivision - British Columbia Railway - H0
Hi,
Deano,thank you for the kind comment. Yes, it will be very busy. As I wrote here are the pictures of the finished yard filled with some trains....
First picture looking north
[Image: 04.11.15%2B-%2B14]
looking north to the curve
[Image: 04.11.15%2B-%2B13]
and one blurry shot looking south. Station sits on the left.There will be some part of a freight house similar to the one at Dawson Creek.
[Image: 04.11.15%2B-%2B11]

Next pictures show the finished roof support beams in my enginehouse. I cut the walls for the inside small shop and storage room inside the buidling from left over roof pieces from Pikestuff kits.The storage room has a big door opening where I´ll hang some type of curtain like you often see in industrial buildings. It´s most clear material but looks yellow and dirty over the time.Don´t know how it is called. I´ll install a strair to the top of the rooms with a railing around that and more room for storage etc. I will install more supports between the I-beams I have mounted from more sheet material or I´ll use evergreen profiles for that. I will look what I have at home.
[Image: 03.11.15%2B-%2B3]
[Image: 03.11.15%2B-%2B2]
[Image: 03.11.15%2B-%2B1]
[Image: 03.11.15%2B-%2B1]
The track next to the engine house will end into a flat shop building with an boxcar inside. I have an old not needed Boxcar on hand and I´ll cut it down to sit inside the building ....the track left to it will be some sort of outside storing,maybe scraploading or something like that.

Thanks for looking. Any comments and critics are very appreciated.

Regards,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Chris I believe you're talking about a vinyl weather curtain. I made one using a clear overhead projector sheet. I would say if your storage area was going to be heated and/or cooled and the rest of your engine house was not then you would use the curtains. Your engine house is coming along very nicely.
Great looking engine house Chris Thumbsup
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Hi,

Rscott, yes,that was what I meant.
And thanks for the comments...more updates coming soon.

Regards,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Hi there,

some small things going on here and I made some progress on Dawson Creek "eastend" area. Here I started with a base for some scenery. I added some 20mm styrodur and sanded it to shape. Next step was to find some names for the companys around and I used Google Maps and Streeview looking through Dawson Creek.First Company is called Loomis Express...It´s a freight shed made from an Walthers kit. The loading doors on the back side of the building will be closed with sheet and I removed the loading dock on this side of the building.
[Image: mMBL0tFhZhtEUGbH9XpWlt-YM1yaYsF_zg9FHajd...41-h755-no]
[Image: ipg_qodcv7aFIiNQOEecjsghVLJwUGAfYieE36Ap...41-h755-no]

On the other side of the street there will be two companys . To the back is ACE Instruments Ltd. The building is made from Walthers modular parts and the addon from Pikestuff wallparts. I painted it with Tamiya Desert Yellow. There will be a chainfence on the front to the tracks and to the back next to the loading dock.The painting isn´t finished,I have to do some detailing and weathering and redo some areas. Was more of a test.
[Image: -koJtf5Cu3wLeqTSBWk7ETzBS5aWnTiEqz2EC7SW...41-h755-no]
[Image: sxzIgJH_S9Qj5bNSRnFN7A67rK5-30aJK761TgKj...41-h755-no]
[Image: -koJtf5Cu3wLeqTSBWk7ETzBS5aWnTiEqz2EC7SW...41-h755-no]

R.Norman Trucking & Towing is on the ohter side of the tracks. The structure is build from Pikestuff wall and roofparts.It´s a shop building with an additional small office. I don´t know if I´ll leave the wall to the front open to detail the inside of the shopbuilding at the moment. I´ll make my decision later. The base for the structure and lot sits on a 14 x 95cm piece of 8mm MDF and will get a 2mm styrodur base for groundwork.
[Image: cuHihJ3fodL09E4SYjxhXCsiacGTQ2j85dQprcqC...41-h755-no]
[Image: nLKvAOZNHxt4n07o9swP7LpmlYW6IAFXArZcei5T...41-h755-no]
[Image: NDHJgt948N9TMxmc3RZOYoeKizkg9yRkPqFRgkqW...41-h755-no]

The last structure here is Wright´s Food Service Ltd. This one was in that corner of my layout for some time but I made some changes to the buildings. Or better I started from new and also change the trackwork for it. Now Wright´s has two separate buildings. To the left next to ACE sits the Freezer & Diary cold storage warehouse. It has a track going into the building and two truck loading doors. The core is made from 1,5mm sheet and it will get some bricksheets if I will ever find my stored walthers brick walls,lol. The second building is the grocery warehouse with two raildoors and three truckdoors. It will be made from 1,5mm sheet,too but without the brick walls. It will get a metal edge from old Pikestuff material. The area between the two buildings will be rough paved with some gravel on the edges.The tracks in front of the building will be paved,too. I´ll build two tanks and a small office building with a small parking lot on the left side next to the wall. The structures will be placed on 5mm styrodur on top of some Kork glued to the plywood. Structure and lot will be on railhead level.
[Image: fPrZoS-Ua-iifQplKhmge8WyupyzIdMGBXyrQbl7...41-h755-no]
[Image: 2jEFH1d_DmR5waSd0qJGqZwT4tWRDSDGvoMPxV_y...41-h755-no]
[Image: L7fmbrnzkgrFmYjje3CSJW7ZgBoCWfE2FpdBrb-C...41-h755-no]
[Image: JfatjttmL8nwCgn3DU6UNt0Ihagliy7eMnUrArk9...41-h755-no]

Finally I made some structure changes in the downtown are of Dawson Creek. Some time ago I started scratchbuilding a structure for the layout but had no more use for it. Now it´s back on the layout....I will make some smaller changes to it but it is a nice match for the location it will placed. It´s next to Downtown Decos Addams Avenue part 1.
[Image: f1i9osJ8Zx2LY3BVHcFUtO1KzEMoFSD6ofL8T7Sx...15-h771-no]

The open space between Addams Avenue Part 1 and Harrisons Hardware will be filled with part 2 and 3 of the Addams Avenue kits. So mabe I´ll give that street the name Addams Avenue,lol...
[Image: LGXYHCzsQc_XAwiCLd5hgiFdy5e8EPZg9J4KacLW...15-h771-no]

So this will be all for now....I have changed from trackwork to structure building and covering the plywood with some base for scenery...still a long way to go but the more fun part has started.

Thanks for looking and any input and comments are very appreciated.

Regards,Chris
Hi there,
thanks a lot for the kind comments. Not so much progress here. I started painting the two structures for wrights food service. I cut out a base from plywood and glued the tracks down.I could use this as an diorama and will add some paint to the tracks and also some basic groundcover,soon. Maybe I´ll give ballasting a first try. I can do that on my workbench.
[Image: 7O8BrP9eyeGEWkLluKvyTgM_YET0PR7g6VRbhGtW...41-h755-no]

[Image: CLJeJ9l7wRuj9jSch1sxi2jzYGS_bH7NVE4hkrAp...41-h755-no]
Grocery warehouse

[Image: 8xnteO2u0Cs6OJuisTb_RDRtm_DetguAwsJqKRDy...41-h755-no]
cold storage

[Image: GpEaAdk9Svhg3Jps9KXQfhPs_pnUBfbZ7WEmF8VG...41-h755-no]

[Image: 50SfWqkZjS0Nn9MpMuKV8zI6qk76KcwqL5iXSTYL...41-h755-no]
The warehouse is painted an off white and will be get some light weathering,the metal siding on the upper wall and the doorframes will be painted blue.

[Image: la86DF5TWYDU8_kZq31Nm4LviaGuoasRN4Wr8ku1...41-h755-no]
This is how the front wall of the cold storage will look with the brick inserts.

Next are two other small structures found on google maps. The first one is a small woodworking company called Mike´s Custom Woodworking. It´s made from Pikestuff walls with a rollupdoor and two doors. Painted the same color like Wright´s warehouse but will get some more weathering.The lot in front of it will be made from Woodland Smooth it.A fence will go around the building with a tree behind it and some details will be added to the roof.
[Image: WRULZEwr5811OgBEU4rze9wZNodAAiZJNul5YrEN...41-h755-no]

On the other side of the street we will find A & C Cylinder Head Rebuilders , a small company specialized in rebuilding engine parts....Painted blue from spraycan I used a structure found on Google maps for reference. The lot and street will be made from Smooth it and both buildings are placed on a base from Modur foam.
[Image: cv0aMnV_XwY84yGU8EDvZ4tboVRR5Zsk-euAMWHt...41-h648-no]

and the model
[Image: iMqt9kKeycy4tcQLr_M333gCHmS9v_mEBfPZwGrH...41-h755-no]
[Image: 7ByQ6shZVoaU4AmG7D6K_mmFjGBGvG0EM7Mb7vn5...41-h755-no]

I started another project on another part of the layout with redoing the northwestern wood preservers mill but this will be described in one of my next updates. Here is a picture of the new plan.........
[Image: xp7J9RfevTA7FLdOtkEp142TKO0Bed1MqU5ezyDX...vw=s771-no]
For now there´s nothing more than this plan. The old tracks are gone and stored for the new version.

Thanks for looking,any comments are very appreciated.

Regards,Chris
HI,
as I wrote on my last post, I made some changes to the Northwestern Wood Preservers mill. I rearranged the trunouts and tracks for a smoother and simpler look. There are now 3 tracks, one of them still for woodchip cars, the next track for outside loading of bulkhead flatcars and center partition cars or boxcars and the last one for loading inside the shed. The woodchiptrack is designed to load 4 cars, the outside loading track could hold 3-4 cars and the inside track can hold 3 cars max. Logs will be delivered by truck.Liquid additives will be also mostly delivered with trucks and from time to time with tankcar.
Here´s the trackplan of the upper level:
[Image: hVwDGqxAEI0xA9CvCGlrpKZNz4e-7sSVhPlBtXxP...RG=s773-no]

[Image: BoThUz-V-UO7r273ZP0Yi9Y0lYDoaaDXzKaZl8mC...41-h755-no]
[Image: kbMSrSzI5mkhI7qMHVwH1vu_i7KGDhkUxoEuOPTz...41-h755-no]
[Image: Ix6mA6JNCpspH4lwCnO-Em0kIvmVzyxEM38bSRfi...41-h755-no]
The buildings will be made from Pikestuff kits and scratchbuild.

The other thing I changed was some trackwork on the lower level in Chetwynd yard. My goal was to get more prototypical operating on my layout. On the prototype most traffic is empty cars from the south (Vancouver) up north and loaded cars from the North back south. SO I searched for a way to include a hidden staging to the south of Chetwynd. But the destinations on my Layout are the other way, I could add a staging to the northend and not to the southend. On the proto Chetwynd yard the Canfor mill and the engine service are located on the south end of the yard and the spur to Dawson Creek on the north end where the helix is build on my layout....My mind was blocked how to get that working....Some days ago it hit me with a hammer,lol Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang
My layout is proto freelanced so why not change the directions of the lower level....this will be not much more than changing names...The difference to the 1:1 yard is now that the spur to Dawson Creek starts on the south end and the engine service and Canfor mill are at the north end. But I can add a second track going down the Helix and entering a staging level below Chetwynd.
In an op session ti means a train coming from Vancouver will set out the cars at Chetwynd.The engines will go to the service area for their turn back to Vancouver later. The yardswitcher will sort the cars for their destinations, local or Dawson creek and the Train to dawson creek will go it´s way up the helix and the yardswitcher at chetwynd serves the local spots.At Dawson Creek a local will switch the industries around and the train will head back to Chetwynd.At the end of the session the Train back to Vancouver is ready with loaded cars from Dawson Creek and the local industries and will be travel to the staging.
Chetwynd yard was changed a bit with some more turnouts and two new small industries to be served, BC Hydro Utility Pole yard and Imerial Oil spur.Trackage for both has to be layed but the trackage in the yard is ready for wires.
First there´s the Anyrail trackplan
[Image: MrBJ_f9hk1i81MbX8YbrBb2v7sXaAhT-BDlAYANU...41-h557-no]

[Image: Tq9PYb9Y5e5_todk5tQ9EMaikpIEvDkyAP-GETOf...41-h755-no]
Old northend of Chetwynd before the change

[Image: OlIJ5FjG1r4ltZfgGo4YgJ0bBw_7pMCm_O_XGeWy...41-h755-no]
After the changes the two new spots will be on the far right.

[Image: ieoop5MMUeR3oadldBGuALSKcT_qXrziMU60D7pQ...41-h755-no]
Sticker for the direction of the tracks will be added to the fascia later.

I´ll add a passing siding on top of the Helix for some more fun.

Thanks for looking any any comments,tips,ideas are very appreciated.

Regards,Chris
Do you have a make or part number for these doors?
Twist Wrote:[Image: 7O8BrP9eyeGEWkLluKvyTgM_YET0PR7g6VRbhGtW...41-h755-no]

[Image: la86DF5TWYDU8_kZq31Nm4LviaGuoasRN4Wr8ku1...41-h755-no]
Hi,
The white doors are from the Pikestuff Fire Station Kit. The grey doors are from Walthers. There´s one backgroundbuildingnkit with those doors and this kithttp://us-modellbahn.de/Gebaeude/Walther...21267.html Walthers HO Lakeville Modern-Style Warehouse Kit

Regards,Chris
I figured you'd have to buy a whole building kit just for the doors..
I bought the Walthers kit some time ago and after 3 rebuilds of the kit most of the walls and other things are scrap and gone but I never used the doors and docks so I could use them now. With the pikestuff kits I needed a bunch of their walls and bought some of their kits to have some different type of doors and windows. But if you only need the doors you can maybe contact Walthers or Pikestuff for spareparts.

Chris
WOW! Eek Eek Applause
Hi there,
it´s been some time since my last post. I finished the trackwork in Chetwynd on the new designed south end of the yard. The tracks are connected with the helix again and I run some trains through this new part without any problems.
[Image: 3lvCs1fVAb8fUymcg9xMfVx7huuKat-QWkZH4-EB...41-h755-no]
[Image: Ejacw0PrWbYkBRJdD03TqvSa3DZS96lCSInLaeUP...41-h755-no]
[Image: XWP7Ytx8RqJr8yuSZEVxN8gSvG3-RVljPGowceTK...41-h755-no]
[Image: 28lGHRTLi-Ozxb7GNs544rTBtMXfWDvxHufBGQJD...41-h755-no]
I also moved the engine facility to this end of the yard. Track is layed down for now, maybe I´ll change the tracks a bit but for now it will stay as it is now. I´m thinking of adding an additional track for some MOW equipment but this will eventually happen later. The walthers fuelplatform sits there just as an placeholder.
[Image: qRd-u5KtNPvUuPv84ThIDP_ss8BvQkWi5qCW6cS4...41-h755-no]
[Image: MQuHKcgbiG8THIVL5HaK2ORKmy98Zfo6InJqTFfZ...41-h755-no]
[Image: cMlw2KBrTKxB1r8bLc_XLt4zi8dZQgp2UicpyF1b...41-h755-no]
The left track is the subdivision to Dawson Creek, the right is the mainline down to Vancouver staging. I´ll extend the track to the helix and one turn down to the level I need to go below Chetwynd yard. The staging will be build below the long wall where the Canfor mill and the northend of Chetwynd is located.
I moved my workbench to the other room to the place where the engineservice was before. The wood was removed and will be build up next to the Helix to extend the benchwork. Here´s the new home for the workbench:
[Image: -ndmsbKAY_6hbJ4mffDT66Kp-rgYaZOSiuo19KLK...41-h755-no]
I´m still playing around with placing of the structures for the Canfor mill....I think I´ll go with some Pikestuff buildings and stay away from the Walthers sawmill. mybe I´ll place this somewhere else.
[Image: m10VMs1vWWDC6vp8ZKlzp_XXF772g9Vtp6FD0O4r...41-h755-no]
[Image: tullZGqS8tWhhIJPlcUeCId_8vutNu7irsCyzFTg...41-h755-no]
So there´s a lot of things to do. But I´m getting closer to the finish line and to the point where I could start with all the fun stuff like painting the backdrops etc.

more progress will follow,soon.

Thanks for looking, Regards,Chris
I'm always impressed by the scale of this project. Your very large wood industries are really inspiring and will probably be fun to operate.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Hi there,
Matt, thanks a lot. I made some switching for the Canfor mill last week. Only delivering empties and pulling out the loaded cars with only using the Mill tracks and the spur to the mill without using the yard tracks during switching. So step one is to sort the cars in the yard and then going to the mill. Did it similar to a video I´ve seen of Hull Oakes sawmill on youtube and the time runs by. After an hour and half I have finished all the moves and headed out to the yard with the loaded cars. Was a lot of fun. I made the final arrangements for buildings and track and will now start to build the structures, paint the backdrop and the tracks and also add some first scenery.
So here are the pictures of the final placement.
[Image: -tQXw8N6V0dr4X_fWf4KSfgSCE42s5y9rRvT1Mvj...41-h755-no]
Track from left to right: Mainline (has to be glued down) Woodchip track Loading shed for outbound lumber and freeloading track also outbound lumber.

[Image: p332fFzcfdXa__6cSKLcHqoqtWChN-K2L6Zyfn8i...41-h755-no]

[Image: Tv5SaD3VIEyXhbCw-0frOjmFq8KgMMpQwwpOoQ2N...41-h755-no]
The building to the right will be the extended to the backdrop and with the loading shed attached to the structure. The left will be the main mill building also extended to the corner/backdrop.

[Image: egJWSPmgnp7bI3SElJZ7km0COsfCktY5bAjxhKza...41-h755-no]

Total lenght of the scene is around 3 m from the yard. Still a lot to do but I hope to get something done this week.

Regards,Chris