Dawson Creek Subdivision - British Columbia Railway - H0
You sure know how to change the real estate in a short period of time Chris. Looking forward to seeing the end product.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Nice to see the progress! Thumbsup
Hi there,
sorry for the delay in updates but I still have problems with my back so no modelling at the moment....Will post some drawings I made with anyrail for some other parts of the layout,soon.....Last thing I´ve done is extending the mill building with some parts of a second walthers kit....
[Image: 11.12.14%2B-%2B1]

Hope to get some modelbuilding done next weekend....

Thanks for looking,
Cheers,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Hi there....
wow,how time flies..............hope you all have a nice and save christmas and also wish you a happy new year.
During the holidays my bad back went better and better and I could get some progress done on the layout....first point is to post a complete trackplan of the upper level of my layout.
[Image: Upper%2BLevel.jpg]
It was made with Anyrail.The total lenght from right to left is about 13,70 m and the far left room is about 2.60 to 4,40 meters,the far right room is about 3.50 to 3.50 meters.
When you look at the plan you will see some small changes I made to some areas on the left side.Those areas will be shown here in later posts when I´ll get to that area.
But here are the updates I made on the part of the layout I was working on before the holidays.I started with the industrie to the left side,the GERN Industries Limited,Dawson Creek,BC part with the mill building and the elevator.
[Image: 04.01.15%2B-%2B1]
I made a 1:1 scale copy of the plan and printed it out and taped it to the 6mm plywood board I cut in shape for that.After that I started laying out the lots around the buildings from 1.0 mm styrene sheet on 3.0 mm kork.
[Image: 06.01.15%2B-%2B5]
[Image: 06.01.15%2B-%2B1]
After that I glued the tracks to the base and started painting it.
I also finished the basic work with the Mill and the Elevator.I also made an additional structure for the GERN Industries Limited Research Facility to the right of the elevator complex.
[Image: Dawson%2BCreek%2C%2BFreelanced%2Bfinal%2...on%2B-%2B1]
The roads are painted with two different grey paints and get a light wash for some first weathering...Buildings are painted in a light yellow to brown paint and will get some weathering,too...
[Image: 09.01.15%2B-%2B6]
[Image: 09.01.15%2B-%2B4]
And finaly I put the whole piece back on the layout to see how it will look....
[Image: 12.01.15%2B-%2B6]
[Image: 12.01.15%2B-%2B4]
[Image: 12.01.15%2B-%2B2]
[Image: 12.01.15%2B-%2B1]
It´s time to do something with that backdrop.... 35

Last picture for today is the area I mentioned in the begin of my post.
[Image: Dawson%2BCreek%2C%2BFreelanced%2Bfinal%2...n%2B-%2B11]

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Looks like you are having a great layout underway! be careful with the back of yours!
Hi,
painkiller,thanks for your wishes...back is way better now and I´m also back at work since Monday....

So while sitting in front of my laptop I played around with Anyrail and thought about some plans for my lower level of the layout.I always thought about a solution for my lower deck with Chetwynd and that there is no staging....And finaly I found a solution and made a big decision...
[Image: Lower%2BLevel%2Bold%2BVersion%2B2.0.jpg]
This will be my new version with a small village with mostly lasercut kits,lots of scenery etc...
I think this will make the most use of the space I have.Going through the helix to the upper level you will see this:
[Image: Upper%2BLevel.jpg]

So while the paint is drying on the last structures I started to carefull rip off the old track on the old Chetwynd yard....
Last picture with the old trackwork etc. in place
[Image: Dawson%2BCreek%2C%2BFreelanced%2Bfinal%2...n%2B-%2B14]

Tracks removed and first part layed upside down...you can see the old corkbed on the second piece of lumber...
[Image: New%2BLower%2BLevel%2B2015%2B-%2B2]

And playing around with some track....I´ll print out a scale version of that part of the plan later to use it as template.
[Image: New%2BLower%2BLevel%2B2015%2B-%2B1]

right track will curve right onto the other side into the staging...(not installed) I´ll build a fold down bridge for that.....It will be used maybe twice a op-session....and because I´m a lone operator of my railroad it will be no Problem 8)

left track will curve to the left around the corner into the planer and lumber mill at sundance....So this siding will be called sundance siding as on the prototype.

I´ll do a google search to find a small village I´ll use it´s name for my village...Next time I´ll be jumping from this part of the layout to the other one I was working on....I think there will be a lot of updates the next time....
Please tell me what you think of my ideas...

Thanks for looking,
Cheers,Chris
Looks like a lot of work ahead of you Chris, I will be watching.

8-)
Andy Kramer - modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milwaukeemodelers.net">www.milwaukeemodelers.net</a><!-- w -->
Hi there,

Andy,yes but is a fun doing that work....
So I made some small progress last week on the basework for the new area.Changed the benchwork ,added subroadbed and some wood for the roads.Also added some first foam for the scenery...around the bridge and road underpass I will use some fine mesh and plaster strips....I have to rise the tracklevel to pass over the radiator.Here are some photos where I´m for now....
[Image: 26.01.15%2B-%2B2]
left track in the front is the spur to the canfor planer mill,right track is will pass over the fold down bridge into the staging.

[Image: 26.01.15%2B-%2B5]
Left subroadbed for the track and right side is the base for the road.This is the area I´ll do the scenery with fine mesh and plaster....

[Image: 26.01.15%2B-%2B4]
Tracks pass over the radiator and go on around the wall and finaly enter the helix.There will be a small rural village to the right side of the radiator with a teamtrack,some lasercut structures around,gas station etc...

This week I´ll mount the track and turnouts,wire and paint it and will do some scenery work.I also will adjust the subraodbed and track for the bridge etc...So still a lot to do,more progress will follow,soon.Any comments are very appreciated...

Thanks for looking,
Cheers,Chris
Hi there,

made some progress on my layout redo.Kork and track are glued and wired.Made some testruns and it worked out good.The bridge is not glued down but I started some rough scenery around that area.Track is layed and connected to the Helix and I run some trains to Dawson Creek on the upper Level.
[Image: 20150214_111558.jpg]
Planer mill at "Sundance".

[Image: 20150213_194910.jpg]
[Image: 20150219_151702.jpg]
Sundance siding

[Image: 20150219_151655.jpg]
[Image: 20150219_151620.jpg]
Bridge scene

[Image: 19.02.15%2B-%2B1]
Small Village behind the bridge

[Image: 19.02.15%2B-%2B1]
Turn to the right entering the helix.The opening into the Helix will be hidden with a road bridge,some hills and trees....

So that´s all for the moment.It´s nice to have some trqains running again.
More progress on the other areas will follow soon and after some more testing I´ll start with painting tracks and ballast.....
Thanks for looking.Any comments are very appreciated.

Cheers,Chris
Hi,
It´s been some time snce I posted last time about progress on my layout....But I´ve made some little progress...Had some trains running the whole tracks up to Dawson Creek and back and all worked out fine....Had some fun switching the several spots in Dawson Creek And the Lumber Mill on the lower level.I started to search for a name for the small village on the lower level..Any ideas for a name are very welcome... I also made a minor rebuild to some benchwork on the upper level,because I wasn´t happy with the construction and look of it....Now it´s made from plywood segments and looking much better....Track was down for some testing and will be permanent glued down on some kork this week...But first change was the small business warehouse in the right corner on above the TV.It will be replaced with some structure made from Pikestuff walls and left over parts of the red wing floor mill kits.I found pictures of a structuremodel like that on the internet and thought it will be a perfect fit for that corner.
[Image: 05.03.15%2B-%2B1]
[Image: 09.03.15%2B-%2B1]
[Image: 10.03.15%2B-%2B1]
As you can see I´ve switched some cars for that business....It will get hoppers and boxcars....
Next on the list was the row of elevators around the corner.Had the structures in front of the benchwork and the track for switching behind it....was no good deal because of the hight of the layout....so turned the scenery around,elevator to the back and track to the front.And changed the look of the two buildings and additional structures.....
[Image: 09.03.15%2B-%2B5]
[Image: 10.03.15%2B-%2B5]
[Image: 09.03.15%2B-%2B4]
And finaly here is the "end of the line" Industrie area on the last part of the layout.The structures are not final,still playing around with the placement of them....
[Image: 10.03.15%2B-%2B7]
[Image: 10.03.15%2B-%2B9]
[Image: 10.03.15%2B-%2B6]
[Image: 10.03.15%2B-%2B8]

And some final pictures of the G.E.R.N. Industries Limited complex with some car´s spotted to the loading areas.
[Image: 10.03.15%2B-%2B4]
[Image: 10.03.15%2B-%2B3]
[Image: 10.03.15%2B-%2B2]

I also started a blog on my layout build on blogspot : http://dawsoncreeksubh0.blogspot.de/
I will do it in German and English but have most of it started in German.Have to do the English part soon before it will be to much to write...
Feel free to comment and visit the site.

Thanks for looking,any comments and ideas are very welcome.

Cheers,Chris
Chris, it is really looking nice, I love the long straight section of track.

8-)
Andy Kramer - modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milwaukeemodelers.net">www.milwaukeemodelers.net</a><!-- w -->
Hi there,

Andy,thanks for the comment.
It´s been a while since my last post.....time is running fast Wink

I made some progress to my layout with finishing the wireing in the yard area (Dawson Creek Yard).I also finshed the tracks on the eastend of the Dawson Creek industrie area and found names for all industries based on real names of companies in Dawson Creek.So let´s follow the tracks east from the new trackwork in front of the station at Dawson Creek.
[Image: 02.04.15%2B-%2B1]
more space between the tracks.I moved the structures a bit to the back of the benchwork.

following the tracks east we will enter "downtown" Dawson Creek.First spot will be Diamond Fertilizer plant & storage with 2 carspots for hoppers and boxcars
[Image: Dawson%2BCreek%2BIndustrial%2BDistrict%2BEast%2B-%2B1]

Next will be the big G.E.R.N. Industries Limited complex with it´s truck loading/unloading facility ( non railserved)
[Image: 03.04.15%2B-%2B2]
and the mill and elevator complex with max 6 spots for hoppers at the elevator and 2 spots for boxcars at the millbuilding
[Image: 10.03.15%2B-%2B3]

You´ll leaving the west downtown district going around the curve over the liftout and you´ll enter a small yard where are two elevators in the background and the interchange track with the NAR/CN in front.
The wooden elevator will be an Alberta Wheat pool elevator and the other will be United Grain Growers elevator.On the elevator track can be spotted max.7 cars (Hoppers and Boxcars) and on the interchange track when finished about 4 to 5 cars max.
[Image: 03.04.15%2B-%2B3]

Around the last corner there is Prarie-Coast Farm Supply & Equipment in the rear corner right to the street.This company once was railserved.You´ll see the remains of the track lurking out of the concrete in front of the building if you´ll look closely....okay,not really now but when it´s finished you´ll see it....
[Image: 04.04.15%2B-%2B1]

Last two spots at the end of my layout world are Wrights Food Service LTD. with to tracks in the background and a teamtrack in the foreground.I´ll mount a backdrop on the left edge of the layout.The teamtrack is served by a gravel road coming from the street on the right.
Inside Wrights you can spot 4 ´40 Boxcars or 3 ´50 Boxcars.The track in the front is for switching and storage,the Teamtrack could hold 3 cars max.
[Image: 04.04.15%2B-%2B2]
The building with the windows is only a mockup,I´ll scratchbuild another structure for Wrights with some truckdoors (maybe 2 or3)at an angle...

I think this whole area will be a lot of fun to be switched....Here is my trackplan of this last part of the layout....
[Image: DawsonCreek%2BGern%2BIndustries%2B%26%2B...B5.04b.jpg]

Thanks for looking,and any tips and comments are very appreciated.

Cheers,Chris
Nice progress there! Thumbsup
Looking really good! Lots of space and plenty to keep a couple of operators busy for a few hours.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Nice progress, you will have a first class BC Rail layout over there. Strange enough BC Rail is one of the most interesting prototypes but so seldom modelled. Cheers