040 little tugger
Good morning gents, i am looking to buy a Model Power 040 Switcher to use on my 4x1ft inglenook style layout, opinions please if you have or have owned one of these ,
would it be suitable? ie.what could i expect it to run like?
Can Kadees be fitted?
I look forward to your hearing your views.
Don.
What its Monday!! Again !!
What scale? I wasn't happy with their N scale one but the HO might be O.K.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Hi Mike,thanks for the reply, i am looking at HO scale.
Didnt know they did a n scale version,that must have been realy small!!
regards
Don.
OHoh! Guess what the postman delivered today???? yup, a 040 shifter with slope back tender.
First impressions ? not bad considering the price, should brush up quite well.
Quite controllable on my transistorised hand held controller, the can motor appears to be about a 360 size in model boat terms so actually quite a powerfull motor.
At the moment it passes over two Peco code 100 points in one direction just fine but rides up the frog on one point in the reverse direction,could be a back to back thing,or a dodgy point?it was recycled! the driving wheel flanges are a bit coarse (strangely they look like the same wheels as on a Hornby 040) but i will check the measurement when i pop the bottom keeper plate off and check that everything is lubed ok before i give it a half hour running in session.
So not to bad!!at the price worth a punt!!!
Could also look good on a plinth !!!!
regards
Don.
Don,
Model Power stuff is just a notch above toy train quality...So not surprising those flanges ride over the frog.
Pecos, for all their vaunted reliability, will not be friendly to oversize flanges. You might try deepening the frog using a short piece of a hacksaw blade to deepen the frog, being VERY careful not to mess up the closure/frog rails.
I did this on a few turnouts to accommodate some ol' timer rolling stock (50's vintage) left to me by my ol' man...

Hope this helps...
Gus (LC&P).
I have heard that you can use a file to reduce the flange size. Use jumpers to get power to loco and hold it over a file lowering it to make contact while running. I have never tried this but it sounds like it would work.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Lester Perry Wrote:I have heard that you can use a file to reduce the flange size. Use jumpers to get power to loco and hold it over a file lowering it to make contact while running. I have never tried this but it sounds like it would work.

I did this on a Fleischmann shifter a looooonngg time ago. It's a very tedious task, you can't rush it. And keep an eye on the heat coming from the motor. Let it cool down if it begins to get hot.
I did it with the loco upside down on a cradle and jumpers to the motor...
Gus (LC&P).
Best way to overcome locos derailing over Hornby or Peco Points is to extend the check rail thus guiding the wheels in the right direction, this can be done by glueing a piece of plastic strip to the end of the existing check rail.
Thank you Les, Gus and switchman, its strange is this, in one direction that is approaching the frog as if going straight through on the main the loco jumps,clunks and carries on!if going through the point(switch!!!!) to turn into a siding direction its fine,same in reverse from either main or siding straight through!!!!!!
Last night i ran it on our club test track,1/2 hour at various speeds and the large oval has a passing loop and sidings with points (damn!switches!!!)of various types,ie. dead frog, live frog,large radius ,small radius and curved, she ran very well and was controllable down to a very slow speed indeed,only then did she stall on the insul frog of a long curved switch!! GOT IT!!!!
When i first put it on the track there were a few funny looks and comments at this strange little loco but power on and they were all surprised at the way she ran,the variety of points were all negotiated with just an odd klunk but no derailing and indeed she ran very slowly through them all,so i think that a new point (switch!!!!!!!) may be the order of the day.
I have heard of people turning down flanges in the way described but must admit wouldnt realy fancy doing it,i might try deepening the flangeway though,but i think the flange makes contact with the nose of the frog,must investigate further first.
So this afternoon i ordered a Tank version of this little lady!!i think you can say i like this gal!!
Now to find some pics of something similar to see if she can be "dollied" up a bit, i beleive these models are just generic and not of a particular locomotive type.
For the price a little bargain.
Thank you all again.
Don.