It's a switching layout puzzle- really?
Before I start this discussion I would ask that all responders leave their flame throwers outside as I don't want to see a flame war started here.
Now,on this site and others that I was on I often saw many switching layouts labeled as either Time savers or Inglenook puzzle layouts,especially those layouts that
were linear in their design-be it a straight layout,L-shaped or one with an island added to it. I think this way of thinking is a load of crap.
I did a search for both Time saver and Inglenook and what I found was this- both types of these switching layout puzzles have a specific set of guide lines that need
to followed. These include the track plan,number of switches to be used,number of cars to be used and track capacities.
Now if someone designs a layout that either follows a prototype location or a fictional one and they contain some of the elements of the two types of puzzles that I mentioned
then that is what the modeler was trying to achieve. That's his decision. If we look at his track plan and make some suggestions that may or may not improve operation
fine,but I feel that to label them as a puzzle layout be it Time saver or Inglenook is not right. I will admit that to some extent that a switching layout is a sort of puzzle in that we need
to figure out how to get cars in and out of sidings without fouling other tracks,but I think this is as far as the puzzle thing goes.
Well I think I shot my mouth off enough on this topic. I will now go and put on my flame proof suit and see what happens.
"My railroad is a figment of my imagination"

BobS
Flamethrower? What flamethrower? Icon_lol

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
So, if I understand you correctly, what you are asking is for others to not apply terms "Timesaver' or "Inglenook" or puzzle layout" to track plans that do not fit those specific definitions. I'll admit to being a little out of the loop on switching layout controversies. Do you find those terms dismissive or just inaccurate?
I think we are very reluctant with that matter. Some prefer a modern track plan aligned to most cost effective switching operations other are happy adding just one more run around than necessary to enjoy an extended switch time due to added complexity. Most float somewhere in the middle and have lots of fun Big Grin
It takes some sensitivity to guess the base setting of the layout planner when an early draft track plan is shown here and the audience is asked for suggestions.
Reinhard
What I am trying to say is that i think those two terms if you look at their definitions should not be used to define a persons layout.
If one the other hand a person were to include all the elements in his layout that these two terms require then yes I would call it a puzzle.If not I would just call it
a switching layout without the confines of a Time saver or Inglenook.
As for making suggestions on a persons track plan,I find them very useful.Very often another modeler may see something in a track plan that the person whose plan it it
may not see or be aware of. When I designed my track plan and posted it,I had may suggestions that helped to improve it.
Mike,can I borrow that thing when you are done with it.
Thanks again for the replies
"My railroad is a figment of my imagination"

BobS
"Mike,can I borrow that thing when you are done with it."

Sure, no problem. Misngth
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I cant use it today as Today Is A Day of Total Fire Ban.
40 something deg. C with a gusty wind.
Bushfires burning in South Australia and Northern Victoria.
Welcome to summer in Australia.
No playing with matches today.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
The "Time Saver" was designed by John Allen for a NMRA meet switching contest in the 50s and since that time many modelers designed a "Time Saver" switching layout since such designs was popular in the early years of switching layouts..

I attended a clinic on designing ISLs (Industrial Switching Layout) and without fail the word "Time Saver" was used by a some of the attendees as a possible ISL design which open up a discussion and how that was a one time designed used by John Allen for a switching contest and has no bearing on designing a realistic ISL..

We finally agreed the time saver designed should be placed as a side note in the annuals of model railroading history as a John Allen designed switching contest used at a NMRA meet..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
This pretty much says it all regarding the Timesaver: http://www.housatonicrr.com/timesaver.htm
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"