GEC's roster thread
Yup! Still, its to bad there are no operating GG1s (or other types of electrics for that matter). People always tell me "oh, they just make fan blower noises", but i think there is more to the sound of en electric than that. I get REALLY annoyed when they brand a decoder as containing "Acela Express Sound effects", which is really just a GG1 sound with an Amtrak horn and bell. That's nonsense.

I'd really like to make a sound decoder for my different electric units (especially my E33s and E44s), but though I have the software to customize the sound files, I don't even know where I'd start to get accurate sounds. I see CDs on the internet every now and then, but would they really contain enough sounds for me to get away with making a reasonable sound decoder file?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Well, I haven't updated this in just over two years, mostly due to TJU taking up most of my time.

I actually have quite a bit of new stuff, (relative to this thread), but most of it is still in Kit form. Still, its always fun to share, so I might update this a little bit.

Arrow III EMU, MA-1H Single unit

By the mid-1970s, many of the steam-era MUs were running their last miles. Though the Penn Central had worked with NJ DOT to acquire new stainless steel MUs (the Jersey Arrow I in 1968, and Arrow II in 1974), The former Delaware Lackawanna & Western electrified lines were in bad need of an upgrade. Indeed, the only new commuter equipment in service was the then new U34CH diesels running with push-pull Pullman Standard Comet I equipment, which were used to replace the RS3s, GP7s and "Stillwell" steam-era coaches in 1971.

The Lackawanna's fleet of 1930s era DC powered MUs grumbled hundreds of round trips between Hoboken Terminal and western points such as Montclair, Gladstone, and Dover, for the previous 50 years. NJ DOT planned to replace these MUs with modern ones, but in order to do that, the original DC electrification would need to be changed to AC, the accepted form of power in the Northeast. Amtrak's plan to change the Northeast Corridor to 25 kV 60 Hz prompted NJ DOT to plan their re-electrification of the "Hoboken Division" accordingly.

At the time, the last Jersey Arrow IIs had arrived, and the Silverliner IV production was winding down. To save in manufacturing costs, the NJ DOT ordered 230 "Arrow III" MUs, which began arriving in 1976. These Arrow IIIs could be switch in the shop between 12 kV 25 Hz and the planned 25 kV 60 Hz, to allow them to generate revenue while the re-electrification of the Hoboken Division took place.

Though built on the same GE/AVCO produced body shell, Arrow III differed from is predecessor, the Arrow II, in a number of ways. On the outside, the Arrow III had two small air intake blisters (as opposed to the Arrow II's intake "hump", a revised train-board, a single air scoop over the front door of the cab ends, a slightly different arrangement of under body components, and a return of the double-armed Stemman Pantograph, as seen on the St. Louis Car Arrow I of 1968. On the Inside, the Arrow III also returned to the 3-2 seating used on the Arrow I, as opposed to the more popular 2-2 seating used on the Arrow II. Also unlike the Arrow II, the Arrow IIIs came in both a married pair and Single Unit type.

New Arrow IIIs flooded the Northeast Corridor between 1976 and 1979. By 1977, enough of the stainless steel Arrow II and III MUs were present to replace the remaining MP54s.

Ultimately, the Arrow III would become the exclusive MU of NJ DOT's, and then NJ Transit's Newark Division trains (which included the NEC and the electrification to South Amboy and Long Branch), due to issues with the Arrow II (to be covered in that unit's eventual entry on this blog).

The models below are the single-unit Double-ended "MA-1H" version of the Arrow III. These independently operating MUs were the first 30 Arrow IIIs produced, while the remaining 200 Arrow IIIs were built in 100 pairs classified "MA-1J" (also to be covered in a second entry). These cars carried all necessary equipment to operate, as well as special brake equipment to allow the single cars to brake adequately in an emergency. Single units were however, more expensive (and somewhat more difficult) to maintain than the married pair types.

The models are resin by IHP. I technically own 5 MA-1H shells, though only three under bodies. One is a motorized RTR, and the other two are kits with full interiors. One of the kits has been modified to accept the Australian built "black" beetle under-floor powered truck. Though far from it, I intend to full light the cars, and even light the interiors on cars outfitted with seats. They are painted to match the original "NJ DOT" paint scheme, which lingered into the early 80s before being replaced by the current NJ Transit Disco stripes. An NJ DOT logo was placed next to each end door, with the arrow pointing towards the end of the car.

[Image: IMG_1572.jpg]

[Image: PA051323.jpg]

[Image: P6210781.jpg]

[Image: P6210798.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]