New Cutter, for the Seaport Village
This will be the fourth Sailing Vessel I have built using the hulls of this kit. As a Clipper Ship it leaves far too much to be desired, but as a source of "quick and easy" "waterline hulls", it has some intrinsic value.

Here, from back to front, The kit parts in the box that will not be used.
The part of the hull removed to make it a "waterline" model
The modified ( widened ) upper part of the hull, which is all I am using ( until I find a use for the rest of the junk in the box )

Port side view of the hull.

The "new" hull looking forward. The "white" part of the transom, is how much "Beam" was added to the kit hull, to make this small coastal freight hauling Cutter.

Attached Files Image(s)

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I got the lower mast sanded to shape, and test fit.
Looking at the model at this point, realized that I need to raise the height of the railings ( they would only be a pathetic 12" higher than the deck. ) Eek "Man Overboard" Wink Icon_twisted
I also need to change the the quarterdeck railings, they are way out of scale, and don't need to be that fancy. They will go away as part of raising the railing height.
Next photos when the railings are at the new height.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Hmmmmmmmmmm, strange looking loco. Eek Is that a steamer or diesel??? Misngth
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Kitbashing seems to be OK, no matter what the sport is....

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmm, strange looking loco. Eek Is that a steamer or diesel??? Misngth

I don't think it'll run to well on rails, but who knows, maybe it'll be the worlds first wind powered loco. 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
"Tyson Rayles" wrote: mmmmmmmmmm, strange looking loco. Eek Is that a steamer or diesel??? Misngth

Ezdays wrote: "I don't think it'll run to well on rails, but who knows, maybe it'll be the worlds first wind powered loco." 357 357

Nope Nope "Wind" powered locos were used to pull the politicians' "campaign trains" Icon_twisted Wink 357 357
Pete, you've obviously got a well-developed eye for what's useful in a readily available kit when you wish to change its original scale and purpose. The act of widening the hull really opens the door to all sorts of possibilities.
I am curious, though, about the procedure for turning the fully-modelled hull into a waterline one: what tools are used and how do you guide the cutting instrument, as I'm guessing that the moulded-in plank detail follows the sheer rather than being horizontal.

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:I am curious, though, about the procedure for turning the fully-modelled hull into a waterline one: what tools are used and how do you guide the cutting instrument, as I'm guessing that the moulded-in plank detail follows the sheer rather than being horizontal. Wayne
First, This was not a "High Quality" kit. The "molded-in plank detail", doesn't follow the sheer, as there is no "plank detail". The surface of the hull has a "texture pattern", Icon_lol rather like the bark of a tree. Icon_twisted
I used a razor saw to cut away the lower part of the hull, and then sanded the edge down smoothly to the molded in waterline.
Once that was done the upper parts of the hull were glued to a sheet of styrene, and, in the process, forms were glued to the styrene sheet to hold the hull sides vertically, and add the new shape of the hull.
I got the pieces of the rail added, raising the rail height to a more acceptable level. The Mast assembly is built, and the first piece of "hardware", the bale that is the upper attachment of the fore stay, is done and attached to the mast cap.
I'll get photos done, and post them sometime tomorrow. I have a Granddaughter's piano recital to attend Big Grin , and then, an evening out ( yeah, I'll be home sometime after midnight ) Icon_twisted
Sumpter250 Wrote:.....and then sanded the edge down smoothly to the molded in waterline.

Ah. The molded in waterline. I wonder if the kit designers added that deliberately for those wishing to create a waterline model. In any case, a useful reference to the horizontal.

Sumpter250 Wrote:.....and then, an evening out ( yeah, I'll be home sometime after midnight ) Icon_twisted

By the looks of that smiley, it's unclear whose home is specified. Shore leave! Say no more, say no more. Wink 357

Wayne
I will, "say no more" Wink
This picture shows the new rail height:

Here, the mast test fit, with the fore stay temporarily rigged

In this shot, you can see what deck beams have been installed, there are a few more to make, and install before the deck can be laid.

Attached Files Image(s)

Perhaps experienced ship modellers would see its origins, but I think that's an impressive makeover, Pete. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Got the rest of the deck beams in, and planked the deck last night.

A closer view of the deck.

The openings in the deck from the bow, aft are, access to the forecastle ( storage ). Just aft of the mast, is the cargo hold, and the furthest aft is the main cabin.
This last picture is of the "doubling of the mast". Here you can see the cross trees, trestle trees,the "cheeks", ( under and supporting the "trees" ), and the cap. Attached at the cap is the bale for the fore stay, with the fore stay rigged. (( Just for a size comparison the "Cap" is 1/4" x 1/8", and 1/16" thick )).

Next up will be constructing the main cabin, the cargo hatch frame and covers, and the companionway to the storage area in the bow.

Attached Files Image(s)

The forward hatch, main cargo hatch, and main cabin are done, the deck, and "other" wood structures are stained.
The unfinished Boom, and Gaff are on the surface in front of the hull.

The next step is to build all the "ironwork" ( boom bands, ring bolts, chain plates etc. ), The steering gear box and cover, deck fittings ( cleats, mooring posts, etc. ) and then the rigging process can begin.
The model is 10" ( 71' )length over all ( tip of bowsprit to end of boom ) The waterline length is 7-1/4", or 52'.
It is amazing how you made a plastic Cutty Sark kit into a 1:87 model. That is kit bashing (scrap all except the hull and modify the hull intensively) at it's best.
Reinhard
Yeah it's really more of a scratch rather than a bash. Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
faraway Wrote:It is amazing how you made a plastic Cutty Sark kit into a 1:87 model. That is kit bashing (scrap all except the hull and modify the hull intensively) at it's best.
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Yeah it's really more of a scratch rather than a bash. Thumbsup
I still refer to this as a kit bash, even if the better part of it is scratch built
The "True Scratch" will begin when the Cutter is done. That, will be a 160' ( L.O.A. ), plank on frame three mast schooner. I will probably use 1/32" x 3/32" basswood for the hull planks. It will be only the second Plank-on-frame model I have ever done.
This is the first, a scratch built 1:64 ( S ) scale model, built to my own design, and inspired by watching Pete Seeger's "Clearwater" being built.
Port side shot showing the one "missing" hull plank

Some of the other details ...

Attached Files Image(s)