Freelance 2015-1
shortliner Wrote:Reinhard - don't know the cost of shipping <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Model-Power-HO-Die-Cast-2005-Crown-Victoria-p/mdp-19394.htm">http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Model-Po ... -19394.htm</a><!-- m -->
That is one of my preferred mail order dealers in the US. A single small automobile will be about $20 and travel 3-4 weeks BUT it is out of stock :-( It would be otherwise a great add on to be ordered with an engine or two (about $50 + 19% import VAT).
Reinhard
This nice Downtown Deco strip of stores
[Image: IMG_3900_zps099617a2.jpg]

is easy uglified into a boring strip of shops in the post 1980 area
[Image: IMG_3901_zpsdebc8b41.jpg]
Reinhard
This beautiful Downtown Deco warehouse needs a loading gate that is realistic for a post 1970 50' boxcar loading and unloading operation.
[Image: IMG_3902_zps641cc3ae.jpg]

I am not brave enough to cut a hole and integrate a roller gate but a roller gate with a frame is easy to do with styrene and carefully glued in place over one of the old doors. I can remove it if that warehouse will serve as a none rail served background building only or if I change to an older area.
[Image: IMG_3903_zps8618a139.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3906_zpsb0f43399.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard,
What if you put a loading dock in front of the old warehouse so that you can use cars of any era and details galore?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:Reinhard,
What if you put a loading dock in front of the old warehouse so that you can use cars of any era and details galore?
I second Mike's suggestion. A full length open loading dock would allow you to spot cars of almost any length next to this structure. Not sure how long the overall structure is, but it would appear that you could spot at least 2 50ft (even 60ft) cars and they wouldn't have to line up with the doors - just close enough.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Mike, Ed, an interesting option. I think a loading ramp should be wide enough to permit freight handling with a forklift. I would need to get some more clearance at the track by moving the building further back. That would require to shorten the sidewalls. I am afraid that is a very risky operation with this kind of fragile building kits.
I did not plan any kit bashing when I started with the downtown deco kits. I will consider that option with any further downtown deco kits prior priming the bare walls. That makes it much easier. You do not get a good color match when you apply paint on the bare walls after kit bashing vs. white primer covered walls.
Reinhard
Both small business strings are migrated to contemporary roller gates.
[Image: IMG_3909_zps16c64e03.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3908_zps02c359f4.jpg]
Reinhard
Hey Reinhard,

A platform that is roughly 1-1.5 cm wide should be enough for a platform wide enough to at least handle a worker with a hand truck (old school unloading), but the new roll top gates are also an authentic way to represent a function before form line of thinking that many companies employ when they have tight budgets.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:Hey Reinhard,

A platform that is roughly 1-1.5 cm wide should be enough for a platform wide enough to at least handle a worker with a hand truck (old school unloading), but the new roll top gates are also an authentic way to represent a function before form line of thinking that many companies employ when they have tight budgets.

It is amazing how many roller gates are installed in Brooklyn at the building in 4x Streets between 1st and 3rd Ave. But I found very similar situations in KC,MO West Bottoms, Chicago Lumber District and LA Warehouse District. They are used for loading gates as simple plain door too. They are relatively easy to install in old structures, not to expensive and offer good physical protection for the money.

The building has a depth less than 2'. In my experience does a building with even more less depth looses much of it's 3-dimensional effect. It becomes a backdrop (with a nice surface) only. And I am also afraid to break the building in parts when I cut both sides of the brittle gypsum walls.
[Image: IMG_3912_zps8b326dcd.jpg]
Reinhard
If I may suggest Showcase Miniatures has a dock plate you may find of interest in your modeling.here is a link to their HO page.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.showcaseminiatures.net/ho-scale-century-foundry-accessories.html">http://www.showcaseminiatures.net/ho-sc ... ories.html</a><!-- m -->
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
A lot of the buildings in Brooklyn had accordion until the 1977 black out when widespread looting took place. People were tying a chain around the bumpers of their cars and the gates, then ripping the gates out. Store owners used these gates so that it offered some level of protection while allowing people passing by to see into the store widows. After the blackout, they all converted to roll top gates.

A lot of industrial buildings converted because the wood doors were rotting and the hinges weren't holding up, so the roll top doors were a cheaper solution.

If you go to a wider roll top gate, it can also give you flexibility on car placement, otherwise they're fine. You'll just have to limit the spur to one car.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Reinhard,

This is a shot of the dock bridge that Catt mentioned, it is 9/16" wide and may not work in your situation. You can make something up to fit but how many times are you going to take photos from that angle?

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

The roll up doors sure change the appearance of those buildings Reinhard.

What size mesh did you use for the ramp Bruce?
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Bruce
Wonder if they used that kind oF bridge between cars at the Los Angeles Produce Terminal? They had 12 spurs at 15 degree angles such that 3 adjacent cars could be unloaded at each terminal door.

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Railnet Wrote:What size mesh did you use for the ramp Bruce?

The photo was of the casting that Catt refered to, I did not make it, thought that with Reinhards' modeling abilities he could cobble one up to fit his needs.

lajry Wrote:Bruce
Wonder if they used that kind oF bridge between cars at the Los Angeles Produce Terminal?

Back in that time most likely just used heavy planks laid between the doorways.

Bruce