First laser cut structure kit for me
Big Grin Wink Icon_twisted
1 kit - $40.00 Wink
1 Detail Parts - $400.00 Eek
:o Icon_lol :o Adds up quick, don't it Icon_twisted Icon_lol Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
It's looking good so far. Most of the available laser cut kits seem to assemble well, and make a quality looking finished structure.
I have never used Acrylic paints on a wood kit before so I don't know for sure how that will work out. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and hope all goes well. ( just another learning curve to ride the leading edge of ) Smile Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Here is a test fit of printed out floors from Model builder software by Evans Designs they need trimmed to fit properly. I ran out of ink so I did up some walls and saved the files for later, will still paint the building inside and out before installing the printouts for the floor and walls.

Attached Files Image(s)

Opps a couple pic.

I have started painting the train station, inside a medium brown to be covered up with printed out wood walls and printed up wood flooring. The outside is red and will be trimmed with brown for windows and door frames.

What I have learned from painting with acrylic craft paint are the following:

1. Take a clean and dry brush load it up with paint then wipe most of it off on the pallet then "dry" brush it on the wood
2. Make all strokes in the same direction
3. Clean brush with clean water between colors and dry the brush before loading up with paint
4. Acrylic craft paint has a realistic flat finish when dry
5. Take your time enjoy the process

Pics to follow when I get around to it.
Here is the results of first coat of paint, may do a second coat later.

" Pics to follow when I get around to it. "

Big Grin Wink Big Grin I see you got your "Round Tuit" Thumbsup Big Grin

That's looking really good so far. Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:" Pics to follow when I get around to it. "

Big Grin Wink Big Grin I see you got your "Round Tuit" Thumbsup Big Grin

That's looking really good so far. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Yeah, did not want to post pics until I touched up a couple spots and all was dry Smile

The freight doors are thinner then the walls so they will get another coat inside to combat the "glow" from internal lighting.

Next step is to glue the printed floor and wall paneling. Then will start gathering the detail parts 2285_ And the last thing will be the roof. Who knows may actually complete a project in a timely manor Misngth When I start getting the detail parts will get a clamshell and some chain to complete the old coaling tower from last summers challenge.

A quick review of this kit:

Pros: simple footprint design
Easy assembly
Fun build
low cost of kit
very closely looks like prototype

Cons: very little in the way of instructions
Base dimension off more than what a precision laser cut kit should be
Nice progress. Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Just got around to looking at todays mail, In the Latest Model railroader is an article on how to build and paint wood structure kits Icon_lol I will read it shortly and see what I have done wrong Wink
placed first order for the needed(wanted) details for station.

I printed out some walls, need 2 more to printout and that stage will be done.

Pics of walls and floor installation coming soon.
Well here are some pics of the floor and some of the walls test fitting, none are glued down yet also need to cut out the windows for the 2 end walls. Figure in the pics will not be one of the details but to show the scale of room compared to an O scalish figure.

Well, all detail parts are now here, most are white metal and need painted, the following pics show the scope of detail involved. Next on list is period figures from maybe 30's and 40's.