Small Highway/Switching Layout
Nick, Josh, Val, and Lynn, thanks for the comments Misngth Misngth

Nick, More color to come soon, ill be painting the highway soon lol Misngth

Josh, Thats what you do when you spend a whole sunday working on the layout lol, i guess i was just bored enough to tackle the whole bridge structure LOL

Val, Thanks for the link, i actually have used these before to line the front of my CAT Rental Module

[Image: SL372418.jpg]

Im going for more of a concrete barrier look like this:

[Image: CR-46%20at%20I-4%20Seminole%20County%20FL.jpg]

This one would be interesting to do and i think i could do it with one of the Rix Products Highway Rails

[Image: highway]

Lynn, I used Woodland Scenics Fine Earth Blend Ground Foam Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Put the last coat on the second section of highway i layed a few days ago. Waited for the coat to dry then painted the highway with a gray paint i mixed up. I used WS Asphalt Top coat and white paint to come up with this gray mix.... Paint is still wet so that is why there is a bit of a shine on it lol, that and the light from the window. As you can see, the road is not completely smooth, but what road is? Completely smooth is not something you want to go for, its less prototypical, and i think, from what you see in the second picture with the coat of paint bringing out tiny cracks and ruts, it makes it look all the more better and realistic Misngth

[Image: SL372538.jpg]

[Image: SL372540.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Josh,

You are in the express lane with this build. Sorry, I had to go with the pun no one else used. It is looking great! Can't wait to see more.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
iis612 Wrote:Josh,

You are in the express lane with this build. Sorry, I had to go with the pun no one else used. It is looking great! Can't wait to see more.

Matt

hehe Thanks Matt Misngth More progress to come soon Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Here is the trackplan for the small layout. It consists of a small switching section on the right side, siding for open hopper cars for the cement plants bulk unloaded on the left side, a small one track siding for picking up a couple cars on the left side + a small one track siding on the right side for the same, and a couple run around tracks in the middle for a small engine to get around the cars after it picks them up from the small siding on the left and switch them into the buildings and sidings on the right side....

[Image: 48ec6daf.png]
  • 1. Blue Star Ready Mix Concrete Batch Plant
    2. Blue Star Ready Mix's Bulk Materials Unloader Conveyor/Pit
    3. Blue Star Ready Mix's Bulk Materials Bunkers
    4. Blue Star Ready Mix Asphalt Batch Plant (not drawn in)
    5. Ramp/Bridge from Washington Street Bridge
    6. Washington Street Bridge
    7. Highway On-Ramp from Washington Street to Highway 10
    8. Highway 10 (not drawn in, 6 lane highway with center divider)
    9. Centennial Mills (Rail and or Truck Loading Dock)
    10. Armstrong Electric Motors (Truck Loading Dock Space)
    11. Un-Known Company (Rail Access and 3 Truck Docks
    12. Un-Known Company (4 Rail Access Doors, 2 Truck Docks)
    13. Atlas Code 83 19 Degree Crossing
    14. Walthers Code 83 #6-1/2 Curved Turnout

Red Tracks ~~ BNSF/UP Mainline
White Track ~~ Blue Star Ready Mix's Bulk Materials Track
Black Track ~~ Sidings and all other trackage for switching

~~ALL Switches are Central Valley Code 83 #8 Turnouts
~~All Track is Central Valley. Mainline are CV's Mainline Ties with Code 83 Rail. All Other tracks are CV's Branchline Tracks with Code 70 Rail
~~Minimum Radius is 18"
~~No 6-Axle locos will be used off the Mainline, only small 4-Axle's will be used to switch with
~~Power Source is the MRC Prodigy Wireless DCC System

What do you think? This will fit on the shelfs that i have right now, all that will need to be done is to add a few inches to the front of the layout right now for the run-around tracks. This should keep me busy till i get the M&ET modules started, all i need to buy is the track/rail and a few sheets of cardstock printed with concrete panels for the bridges/ramps Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Hi Josh,

Great plan with plenty of interest ........ are you using insulafrog or electrofrog turnouts /crossing ?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
upnick Wrote:Hi Josh,

Great plan with plenty of interest ........ are you using insulafrog or electrofrog turnouts /crossing ?

Thanks Nick

Im not sure, im not good with stuff like this, im going to be using Central Valley Code 83 and Code 70 Turnouts.... lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Made a couple small changes. I added a track to serve the Armstrong Electric Motors building. I had to add in another crossing and take out the small siding at the top right to do this, added a Atlas Code 83 30 degree crossing. I also added another small siding to make up for removing the other on the left across the mainline from the other thats already there

[Image: e4d2e584.png]
  • 1. Blue Star Ready Mix Concrete Batch Plant
    2. Blue Star Ready Mix's Bulk Materials Unloader Conveyor/Pit
    3. Blue Star Ready Mix's Bulk Materials Bunkers
    4. Blue Star Ready Mix Asphalt Batch Plant (not drawn in)
    5. Ramp/Bridge from Washington Street Bridge
    6. Washington Street Bridge
    7. Highway On-Ramp from Washington Street to Highway 10
    8. Highway 10 (not drawn in, 6 lane highway with center divider)
    9. Centennial Mills (Rail and or Truck Loading Dock)
    10. Armstrong Electric Motors (Truck Loading Dock Space)
    11. Un-Known Company (Rail Access and 3 Truck Docks
    12. Un-Known Company (4 Rail Access Doors, 2 Truck Docks)
    13. Atlas Code 83 19 Degree Crossing
    14. Atlas Code 83 30 Degree Crossing
    15. Walthers Code 83 #6-1/2 Curved Turnout

All other stuff is the same as it was on my last post. I think im done editing this plan and now its just a matter of getting the track to do it Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Looks like you got a winner Josh!! Big Grin I like the switching possibilities and I really admire you for doing what most of us don't which is model roads. Looks good and I can't wait to see some more pics.
CandO7430 (The poster formerly known as IandOFan71)

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,
Ohio Div, Chessie System Railroads
CandO7430 Wrote:Looks like you got a winner Josh!! Big Grin I like the switching possibilities and I really admire you for doing what most of us don't which is model roads. Looks good and I can't wait to see some more pics.

Thanks for the comments Misngth Up until now, i was fairly pleased with the plan and the progress.... lol

Dont you just hate when you cannot for the life of you make up your dang mind on something to model? 35 Wallbang

It happened to me, AGAIN :oops:

So here it is, after seeing Kurt's Miami thread, looking it over again and again, and after spending literally hours reading, studying, and re-reading on this guys site: http://www.lancemindheim.com/ I have come to the decision that i want to do something like this. Since the ideas of modeling the M&ET were thrown out the window and are un-reasonable given my current living situation right now, at least until i can get a place of my own and the M&ET can have its own building/storage room, the plans are just not going to happen right now. The M&ET modules are really something that i need to do when i get a little older, something to work on when i have the space for them.....

Right now, i have space for a few small modules, i can prolly get 4-5 more modules comfortably on the wall (this does not include the 2 modules i have now) if i take down my old shelfs completely. The reason i want to stay away from layouts attached to my walls, at least for the time being, is that i dont know what the current situation of my family (mom and dad) and the situation with our house (crappy economy is making it tough) is going to be in the near future. And everything from here on out that i model in my room that is attached to a wall, is pretty much all for nothing as it will have to be torn down anyways when i am either forced to move out or get a place of my own which will hopefully be soon lol.

I wanna do a couple small modules, really focusing on the details of buildings, roads, trains, and scenery details. I just do not know what to model right now. I need to do some research to pick a good spot to model.....

Anyone who was following this thread and was hoping for more progress, im sorry, its just not going to happen given my current situation Nope Nope :oops:
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments Misngth Up until now, i was fairly pleased with the plan and the progress.... lol

Dont you just hate when you cannot for the life of you make up your dang mind on something to model? 35 Wallbang

It happened to me, AGAIN :oops:

So here it is, after seeing Kurt's Miami thread, looking it over again and again, and after spending literally hours reading, studying, and re-reading on this guys site: http://www.lancemindheim.com/ I have come to the decision that i want to do something like this. Since the ideas of modeling the M&ET were thrown out the window and are un-reasonable given my current living situation right now, at least until i can get a place of my own and the M&ET can have its own building/storage room, the plans are just not going to happen right now. The M&ET modules are really something that i need to do when i get a little older, something to work on when i have the space for them.....

Right now, i have space for a few small modules, i can prolly get 4-5 more modules comfortably on the wall (this does not include the 2 modules i have now) if i take down my old shelfs completely. The reason i want to stay away from layouts attached to my walls, at least for the time being, is that i dont know what the current situation of my family (mom and dad) and the situation with our house (crappy economy is making it tough) is going to be in the near future. And everything from here on out that i model in my room that is attached to a wall, is pretty much all for nothing as it will have to be torn down anyways when i am either forced to move out or get a place of my own which will hopefully be soon lol.

I wanna do a couple small modules, really focusing on the details of buildings, roads, trains, and scenery details. I just do not know what to model right now. I need to do some research to pick a good spot to model.....

Anyone who was following this thread and was hoping for more progress, im sorry, its just not going to happen given my current situation Nope Nope :oops:[/quote]

Hi Josh,

Dont give up on what you have achieved so far ........... i wanted to make my HO layout wider so i could get a turnaround for the locos but it just wouldnt work and i settled as you know for the switcher idea.

Come on show us more of your work and how your going to make your switcher look good and give me amongst others inspiration with ours Big Grin

Oh BTW the turnouts i mentioned ...... Electrofrog are all metal rails and the insulafrog have plastic inserts where the frog is ....... if your going DCC electrofrog win everytime and of course look like real roads.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Trucklover Wrote:I wanna do a couple small modules, really focusing on the details of buildings, roads, trains, and scenery details. I just do not know what to model right now. I need to do some research to pick a good spot to model.....

Pity that you have to take a break with the M&ET layout and with the highway/switching layout, but I suspect that when you decide what to model on a few smaller layout sections, it will be just as good looking and well made as the stuff you have shown us thus far - and I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Smile,
Stein
Cheers
Take it easy- take the train!
Hi Guys, thanks for the encouraging words Misngth

This layout is still in place, i have not torn it down yet lol, just been busy or lazy, combination of both lol. All the buildings except for the concrete and asphalt plant have been put on e-bay tho lol. I wont need them since i will be scratch building all my buildings for the La Mirada projects.... Misngth Progress to come soon, just need to get over to the grandparents house to build a couple modules lol Cheers
Josh Mader

Maders Trains