Sand Plant
If anyone has the Walthers Glacier Industrial Sands structure and needs some modeling ideas, here's a couple pictures taken at Hanson Aggregates in Newport, NJ today.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

That is some nasty looking equipment. Maintenance is obviously not on the task list. Icon_lol
That is a really interesting looking plant! Seems like a good suggestion for modeling since its narrow and might fit in a lot of layout spaces along the tracks.
Great detail pictures Bruce. Is this a seasonal operation or do they have indoor storage?
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Railnet Wrote:Great detail pictures Bruce. Is this a seasonal operation or do they have indoor storage?

Same footprint as a granary.
Stephen,

It's a year round operation. There are additional structures in the background that I couldn't get photos of. This structure was farther down the inside siding.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

I find these industries interesting. Do you know where the sand is shipped to and what it is used for?
Stephen 

Stephen,

I do not know where it is shipped. Some uses for sand from South Jersey are glass making, cement and asphalt production, construction sand, foundry sand, traction sand for locomotives.

Bruce
Thanks for the pictures!
So sand can be shipped in both 2-bay and 3-bay centerflow hoppers judging by the pictures above.
Would that then be the round hatch type?

Cheers
Jacques
HMMMM,,, ideas, ideas, ideas. Icon_lol Wink Icon_lol
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
jrossouw79 Wrote:Thanks for the pictures!
So sand can be shipped in both 2-bay and 3-bay centerflow hoppers judging by the pictures above.
Would that then be the round hatch type?

Cheers
Jacques

Jacques,

I don't remember ever seeing anything but the round hatch 2 bay covered hoppers, the 3 bays I have seen are both the round and trough hatch types.

Bruce
Jacques,

I don't remember ever seeing anything but the round hatch 2 bay covered hoppers, the 3 bays I have seen are both the round and trough hatch types.

Bruce[/quote]

Thanks for the info Bruce!
You must excuse my knowledge of US covered hoppers.
It is still at a very novice level especially with so many different typesSmile
At least I can use what I already have.
Just need to get that Walthers Glacier Sands kit.

Cheers
Jacques
This is Mories Sand Company in Haleyville, NJ. The photos were taken in September 1998. The sand was trucked to the unloading shed. This facility is not in use anymore.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

What a great looking background or edge of the layout industry that would be. Not much to build for infrastructure either.
Stephen 

Railnet Wrote:What a great looking background or edge of the layout industry that would be. Not much to build for infrastructure either.

I agree, but if you weathered the model as much as the prototype is weathered, then people would say you were over doing it. 35
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More