Definately not train related
Saw this in front of my house this AM. They were going to a funeral at the church a block south of me.

[Image: Horses-n-Hearse.jpg]

They brought the horses and the hearse down from Traverse City to Grand Rapids to lead the procession to the cemetery.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
No kidding? Hadn't occurred to me that you could arrange to have a funeral carriage like that nowadays. Going out in style. I'm guessing it was a bit of a surprise for you to see that!
My wife kept yelling downstairs to come see the big horses.I thought she meant on TV.DShe is so connected with animals that the moment they saw her they tried to walk over where she was standing. Eek I took 3 pictures and she picked this one as the best and I have to agree with her.

We were amazed that they came all this way,but I guess it is a normal thing for them to do.Trouble is now I want to model the horses and hearse to use on several layouts. Wallbang
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Not train related, but unusual and well worth posting. I hadn't even given it a thought that you could do that. When we lived in Wickenburg, there was one long-time resident of the town, and they used a old horse-drawn western buggy in the same way. It's really a nice way to honor someone, and thoughtful that some people still provide services like that.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
They definitely generated some excitement on our avenue.Good thing it wasn't freezing today as the horses are about to start climbing a hill in this picture.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Catt Wrote:...Good thing it wasn't freezing today as the horses are about to start climbing a hill in this picture.

They're probably wearing snowshoes anyway. Wink Big Grin

Wayne
That is a very cool photo! Nice to see a team of horses anytime and the hearse is a nice catch.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Very classy way to go out!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Yup !!, Definitely not train related:
I got home last night from Manalapan, N.J., where I had gone to attend my Brother's funeral. He was admitted to hospital on Mar. 31, in critical condition, with a heart valve problem complicated by Kidney failure. He passed away the next day, April 1.
I am just a little bit nervous.......he was only two years my senior.
I figured this was the best pace to post this, seeing the way this thread was first opened.
I know there was nothing more that could have been done, and he passed quietly, in hospital.
He was a major influence in my getting into model building. He was more into aircraft, than I was, but model building is, model building, and that creativity, we shared.
One of my fondest memories of my brother, is the time we spent, together, listening to Jean Shepherd, American storyteller, radio and TV personality, (( best known to modern audiences, for the film A Christmas Story (1983), which he narrated and co-scripted, based on his own semi-autobiographical stories)) Saturdays, late night, on WOR Radio New York.

Sad We shared a lot of laughs together. Wink 8-) and, I will miss that.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Pete---I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your brother.I know it's difficult to deal with at times as I too lost a dear sister many years ago and I still think about her often.Hopefully you will remember the good times you shared and they will bring you comfort and peace.May God bless your brother
Sorry to hear of your loss Pete.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Yeah, Pete... That's what helps me cope with the loss of a great friend (may as well have been my brother) 2 years ago. I always smile a bit when some silly happens and I think of his laughing along with me.
A very difficult thing, losing a dear loved one... Take care!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Sorry to hear the news Pete. Wishing you peace and comfort.

Ralph
My thanks to all.
My brother's faith ran strong and deep. He is at peace now.
I can take comfort in that knowledge.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:My thanks to all.
My brother's faith ran strong and deep. He is at peace now.
I can take comfort in that knowledge.

That says it all. It's good that your family is close and that you are able to have the memories of the time you spent together. The best thing though is that they are good memories that bring a smile to your face when you think about them. Nothing can take that away from you.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD