To sell or not to sell???? Whaaaat!!!!
The other day while in one of my less than lucid moments (bi-polar and manic depression) I was looking at my layout and said to myself-"self" why the hell don't sell this thing. Face it your
finances are in the toilet and you really don't like running trains (would rather work on scenery and details then run trains). After giving this a lot of thought I came to my senses and said
to myself again-"are you out of your mind?" You have labored on this layout for over six years and you would sell it? Not likely. It's true-I don't think I could ever sell it even if things
in my personal life suck and they do. I have invested too much time,effort and money into this layout just to get it to this point. Eek
I'm curious-have any of my fellow modelers ever been in a similar situation? Thumbsup
"My railroad is a figment of my imagination"

BobS
I spent about two years on my previous layout only to realize I bit off more than I could handle. So I tore down the layout built a new room in the basement, and have spent the past three years on the new layout. From the looks of it I'll be getting it finished at the same time that I'll be looking at moving. So I've gave lots of thought as I'm building it towards how I'll be able to dismantle it.
Wow,

sell a layout that is a drastic move for a momentary lapse of enthusiasm with the hobby.

I had a similar dilemma, as I both collect and play with trains. I never seen a train that I did not like but the accumulation of trains got out of hand and I had to narrow down my interests train wise. My current interests are anything CSX or roads that became CSX(that is still a lot of variety) I also like mow equipment. Currently I am in S, On30, 3rail O and some G scale trains. In 2008 or so I started building a Lionel display layout, track is all down just needs wired. The phase I am in now is finding the operating accessories to complete the layout then I will start on the S gauge layout. And the final stage is two have a loop of On30 surrounding the O and S gauge layouts.

My dream layout would be an Appalachian coal hauling layout in O and S gauges but I just do not have the space for it Sad , so I had to compromise . I like to kitbash and scratch build in S and On30 and it keeps me busy and satisfied modeling wise.
I've never made it a secret that I'd rather build models and make scenery rather than run trains. I've never wanted to get rid of everything, but I still have a lot of rolling stock I'd like to get rid of. Great for show, but I've never run more than one train at a time and I don't think that will ever change. I just enjoy creating things, and I know we're not alone. When we thought we were going to move, I didn't hesitate to strip the important structures from my layout, cut it up and move it to the local landfill, track and all. We changed our minds a few months later and so my layout right now is simply a large sheet of extruded foam mounted on a frame. A blank canvas so to speak, and opportunity to start fresh and do what I love best, building a new world where I can run trains in if I so choose.

Do what you enjoy doing, that's the neat part of this mufti-faceted hobby.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Yeah , unfortunately . I'm retiring this year and with my wife ailing I've decided to sell the house and go smaller ....maybe rent a townhouse or apartment . In any case my already" smaller layout from what it used to be " may be too big for what lies ahead . I'm in HO right now ....don't mention anything to Tyson , but ab-N-ormal scale might even be an option Misngth , even if I probably wouldn't be able to see it without a permanently implanted optivisor .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Don-glad to see that I'm not the only one who would rather create then run trains.
T- I had to take early retirement when I was 62.Things were OK until my son graduated high school and his benefits stopped. Now it is a struggle to make ends meet.To make matters worse
social security takes $104.00/month for part B. It sounds good when they tell you that you will get an increase in your benefits for the new year but then you remember part B and the increase
is crap. Had I known what retirement and social security were going to be like I would have either robbed a bank or printed my own money.

BobS
When I built this layout I did it with moving in mind even though I have no plans to. The first section is 72" x 28" and functions as a complete operating layout all by itself. Each section I have added is made to be removed and are 12" wide. If the new place can't accommodate all the sections I'll just use what it can. Like most here the reason I added more sections is because I enjoy the building more than running although I do enjoy running them once in awhile. Like River Witch 14 there have been many times when $$$$$ were a huge problem and the layout just sat until things got better, but I never considered selling.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Bob , here in Canada we have a different set up for pension although I'm not lucky enough to have a company pension since I worked in sales and you " make your own " pension ....but that was my choice at the time . Fortunately there is a lot of equity in the house !

T
Mike,like I said,the thought of selling the layout came during one of my occasional depressed states. Selling it would be the last thing I would ever do. Like you,I would probably
cover it and let it sit until things got better.
T,besides social security I do have a small pension but for the most part they both are used to pay bills and but food. I don't know how Canada handles retirement but here after
having been retired for 5 years I can say this for myself- social security is by my own definition government sponsored welfare. Neither give you enough to live on. Shoot

BobS
River Witch 14 Wrote:having been retired for 5 years I can say this for myself- social security is by my own definition government sponsored welfare. Neither give you enough to live on. Shoot

I would have to argue the point about "welfare" .
"Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) tax is a United States federal payroll (or employment) tax imposed on both employees and employers to fund Social Security "
I'd call Social Security more of a "Paltry return on a forced investment". We all paid the FICA Tax.
Icon_twisted I intend on drawing the Social Security 'benefit' for as long as it takes to get back every penny I spent in FICA . . . . Icon_twisted Wink 357

And, THEN SOME Wink Popcornbeer
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Speaking of taxes , I used to do taxes for small businesses and the individuals who ran them ( back in the 80's ) ....people can easily get confused when filing their taxes and can miss out on a lot of things . In Canada we have Federal and Provincial taxes , while in the U.S you have federal , state and city taxes .
Over here I buy a program every year called Turbo Tax and it has been an immense help getting all of my ( legal Goldth ) deductions ....don't know if you have that in the states but there are probably similar products . I have been working seasonally for the past few years and it would be nice if I can figure out ahead of time what I can earn without paying tax .........so I set up a "what if " on Turbo Tax to figure out those numbers pretty close .

T
Sumpter 250-Don't look for an argument from me concerning my definition of social security. I am just going on my own experience. I worked for over 46 years paying into the system and I just feel
that what I'm getting for all that time is a load of crap. Now,I don't know what you situation is but I have experienced mostly all of it. Bankruptcy, section 8 housing,welfare and food stamps. Now there is a group of programs that don't give you jack to live on or to buy food. Wallbang Eek
I don't know if you are retired or how close you are to retirement or what your financial situation is but all I can say to you is this-expect to expect the unexpected. :o

BobS
Just a bit about Social Security from my end. I remember paying into it every year of my life that I earned a paycheck. In 1982 we started our own manufacturing business and so as the owners, we not only had to pay our Social Security out of our own paychecks, but we had to match it, and that of anyone that worked for us. When it came time for us to retire, we has some money in IRA's, but no pensions or annuities of any kind...period. Yeah, Social Security doesn't quite make it every month and we find ourselves frequently withdrawing from these savings just to meet our day-to-day living expenses. The bottom line is, even though we don't get 100% of our living expenses from Social Security, and I'm not sure at what point we'll get back what we and our employers have paid into the system on our behalf, but if it wasn't for what we do get, we would definitely find ourselves still in the workforce. I'm not singing the praises of the system, but for now, it's all that we get on a regular basis and without it and the IRA's that they allowed us to take out, we could possibly be out on the street. Take either one from us and we'd be looking for work and there's not too many opportunities out there for people our age. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Don-I agree with what you are saying.I lost 25% of my social security benefits by taking it early which is why I am having so many problems with my retirement.
But it is better than nothing and I have had to learn to do without some things in the process but I guess it is what it is.
Thanks again for the reply. I am also sending you a PM.

BobS
Well, I've seen almost all there is to see on railroading and modeling. Notice I did NOT say I've seen it all Smile I have modeled and or collected in Z, N, HO, O, and G -- 1:25 and 1:20.3 where I am now.

I've seen the evils of not taking monies seriously, credit cards, bankruptcy - all sorts of fun things there.....

I started in 1982, as soon as I had a 40 hour a week steady job, began spending money on the evils of comic books and science fiction & fantasy novels. Smile Then I began concentrating on model railroading, in late '84, I finally seriously began working on the train layout in my basement, it had been there since 1980 - hardly ever touched.

My 2 friends & I began the JGBSMF&W RR and as we grew and got more friends involved, it became a passion. I moved in with my girlfriend in 86, we were married in '88 and I dismantled the layout and sold off all the stock and trackage so we could pay for those little things that come about when you buy a house. In 1992, the G scale was begun, when she bought me a G scale starter set for our 4th wedding anniversary.

I have created both kinds of layouts.... Those with trains all over the place, with scenery there to fill the blank flat areas (The G scale now) and the scenic routes that have very little track but fantastic scenery on display. (The HO & N layouts)

So, when faced with the ideas of selling anything - yes, you do have to narrow your areas of interests. No one really can afford all the things you want. Am I satisfied? Yes, somewhat. I'm content where we are now. I sold off more than I own now, I'm happy with what I have. I survived the bankruptcy 10 years ago. But I still would LOVE to buy that G scale Big Boy.... It's only $4,000.00 Smile And yes, I still want the GG1 for $1,995.00 Eek But I'm content just being part owner of a "Blue" bulletin board :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???