Acme Bakery
It has been a while since I did a build thread in the scratch-building forum so here goes:

I am using this for my inspiration:

[Image: 13.acme_.cake_.bogart.johnson.jpg]

I will be making this structure out of styrene with some plastic brick sheets over it.

Parts: (I just noticed that the top left piece is upside down :oops: )

[Image: parts%20small.jpg]

The brick sheets are white so they won't really show in pics until I paint it. Just a test fit:

[Image: Build%201%20small.jpg]

A wider view:

[Image: Build%202%20small.jpg]

The plan is to paint the bricks a red color and then paint white over that...letting the natural brick color poke through here and there. That is the plan....but my plans usually don't go as planned...........I hope that makes sense Big Grin

More as I progress Thumbsup
Steve
Steve Wrote:...The plan is to paint the bricks a red color and then paint white over that...letting the natural brick color poke through here and there.....
That raw structure looks good. What technique will you use for the chipped white paint over red bricks?
Reinhard
Great start , good to see you doing something again!

8-)
Andy Kramer - modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milwaukeemodelers.net">www.milwaukeemodelers.net</a><!-- w -->
faraway Wrote:
Steve Wrote:...The plan is to paint the bricks a red color and then paint white over that...letting the natural brick color poke through here and there.....
That raw structure looks good. What technique will you use for the chipped white paint over red bricks?
Reinhard, I am looking into that as we speak. I have found several methods that are variations on the same theme:
Paint base color
Add other medium (hairspray, salt, etc)
Paint top color
Moisten & rub

I will experiment and see what works best.

ak-milw Wrote:Great start , good to see you doing something again!

8-)

Once I get into a project, I usually keep plowing along until I finish it......but there have been some long pauses in between projects Icon_lol
I got my engines out this weekend, and that seemed to help motivate me Wink Thumbsup

My windows arrived today, so I should have everything I need on hand to complete the bakery. Thumbsup
Steve
I hope that bumper post is very strong and well secured or I can foresee some expensive building alterations occuring should anyone get a bit rough when switching that siding.

Acme Bakery, mmmm so does Wile E. Coyote work there or order his cakes and pastries from there? 357

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Hey Steve, a quick fix for the bumper post. Just cut a hole in that wall and one across from it. That way the train will pass right through with no harm done.

Cheers
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milwaukeemodelers.net">www.milwaukeemodelers.net</a><!-- w -->
OK....I know it seems like I've been goofin' off , but I have been working a lot of hours at work, and I've also been waiting for a good day to take this structure outside to use the airbrush. Looks like tomorrow will be the day.

I have accomplished a little though:

I added some trim, the two conduits on the lower section, and tried to make a passable looking vent:
[Image: IMG_20150321_174929_046%20small.jpg]

I moistened the structure and sprinkled on some table salt
[Image: IMG_20150321_192734_815%20small.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150321_192843_368%20small.jpg]

Tomorrow I will spray on the top layer of white paint. When that is thoroughly dry, I will take a stiff brush and dislodge the salt. Should have some chipped paint at that point. We shall see. Wink
Steve
Glad you explained the bit about the salt Steve. 35
I was a bit worried you really had been working too long and your diet was headed in strange new directions. Popcornbeer
Looking good so far.
Mark
I have made a few models that would have best been eaten than looked at Wink
Steve
Steve Wrote:I have made a few models that would have best been eaten than looked at Wink

So would modelling with ginger bread or short bread have been the best option then? Popcornbeer

Mark
I finally got outside to paint with the airbrush, but I probably should have waited for a warmer day. The wire I used for the conduit started popping off in a few places the longer I stayed out there. Luckily, after I got the model back into the relative warmth of my basement, the wire became taut again.

This first pic shows the paint job after the salt was removed:
[Image: IMG_20150322_144333_698%20small.jpg]

I think it worked well, but I should have used more salt. Having envisioned a more beat up finish, I wound up stippling on some brick colored paint with a 1" brush.

Here is where I left off today. I painted the blue along the bottom, and added the Acme logo. I had intended to shrink the picture to-size and make a stencil, but the cuts were way too small for me to do a good job with. In the end, I just cut the logo out, sanded the backside to make it as thin as possible, and glued it on. I will get closer pics as I finish this up:
[Image: IMG_20150322_173325_440%20small.jpg]

I think it is capturing the spirit of the original.
Next I will get the windows glazed and the vents finished. Still have to do the doors and roof as well.... Thumbsup
Steve
Looking great as always! Hey Bud, have you ever tried the rubber cement trick. Just brush on rubber cement before painting and when dry just rub it off.

Cheers
The chipped paint with the salt method looks great.
Reinhard
Steve, Thumbsup Thumbsup
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Andy, I have heard about using rubber cement, but I have never tried it. I will say this, salt made it very easy to cover a large area.
Reinhard and Catt....Thank you guys!

Made the vents:

[Image: IMG_20150322_203119_516%20small.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150322_203149_838%202%20small.jpg]

Working on the doors now...
Steve