Team Track/Loading Dock
This was the first time I ever saw anything but lumber being unloaded at this location. Thought in might be of value to some of the modelers on here. Those are onions laying on the ground at the end of the dock.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice idea for a team track or in today's marketing world a transload track.

Single car shipping is still seeing growth..Kinda reminds of the the 50-60s when team tracks was common.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Is this still in use? Unloaded by man power? Is there a ramp?
Thanks
NSHO
NSHO Wrote:Is this still in use? Unloaded by man power? Is there a ramp?

The picture was taken yesterday. The crew unloading the reefer was just finishing up for the day and had just closed up the reefer so I'm not sure how it was being unloaded.

Bruce
                Here's my post on this forum about the neighboring LAJ & Santa Fe team tracks:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7978&p=145346&hilit=team+track#p145346">viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7978&p=145346&hilit=team+track#p145346</a><!-- l -->
Just about anything is usually unloaded here to trucks. For you modern modelers recently the LAJ Ry is shipping out dirty dirt cans on spine & well cars (see attachment). This showed up on a Google aerial. Use this address: "2685 Fruitland Av 90058". They doesn't show up on Bing yet. 
Added the track chart for both team tracks. Made the Santa Fe side next to the LAJ track chart.

Both can be easily modeled in a 2' x 8' space.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
I can imagine a powered hand truck in the trailer was used to unload the refer such as this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.crown.com/usa/forklifts/rider-pallet-index.html">http://www.crown.com/usa/forklifts/ride ... index.html</a><!-- m -->
Harry Check out my blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/">http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
More than likely it was the Walkie Pallet Trucks instead of the stand on model, the batteries in the stand-on'a can weigh quite a bit. The walkie ones are commonly found on box trucks, soda/beer trailers, and independ carriers that unload their own loads at warehouses and have a much lighter battery; overall they are smaller, lighter, and easier to have on the back of a trailer. The weight of the stand-on models could easily cause carriers to have to remove 2-4 pallets of product (if not more) just to ensure they aren't overweight.
Repost of Southern RR of NJ's loading dock at Winslow, NJ from March 23, 2015

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

This transformer load and Edwards heavy haul tractor rig where at the Southern RR of NJ's team track today. The transformer came in on the depressed flat from Georgia and will be moved by the Edwards Company to an Atlantic City Electric facility in Pleasantville, NJ.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

bdw9535 Wrote:Repost of Southern RR of NJ's loading dock at Winslow, NJ from March 23, 2015

Bruce

Any idea on where people can get up on to the dock level or is that the reason for the strategically placed broken pallet in the photo?

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
bdw9535 Wrote:This transformer load and Edwards heavy haul tractor rig where at the Southern RR of NJ's team track today. The transformer came in on the depressed flat from Georgia and will be moved by the Edwards Company to an Atlantic City Electric facility in Pleasantville, NJ.

Bruce

These photos sure do demonstrate the advantages of using rail over road. Looking at the transformer on the depressed flat car the load doesnt look to big or heavy, even though it fills the deck area quite well, but when you see the size of the low boy trailer required to transport it to its final destination, it suddenly looks like a big heavy load. :o
That low boy trailer is certainly very low to the road, was it in its lowered "rest" position when photographed?
Did you manage to find out just how heavy the transformer was and what size crane will be used to transfer it from rail to road?

Just out of interest, if you look at the photo [# 4] of the transformer on the depressed flatcar, that funny looking marking on that rectangular end panel just above the line of those folded brackets. That is, I suspect, a survey marking to indicate the centre of gravity of the transformer as well as a datum height/width point when you need to check height or width clearances during transit and when installing the transformer. The documents travelling with the transformer should include a reference drawing, with dimensions referenced from that point on each end. Well that is my educated guess on the matter.
Mark
Mr Fixit Wrote:Did you manage to find out just how heavy the transformer was and what size crane will be used to transfer it from rail to road?
Mark

Don't they just have a half a dozen guys with crowbars pry the thing across?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:
Mr Fixit Wrote:Did you manage to find out just how heavy the transformer was and what size crane will be used to transfer it from rail to road?
Mark

Don't they just have a half a dozen guys with crowbars pry the thing across?

Yeah good luck with that as you will need some very big crowbars. 35

Mark
Mr Fixit Wrote:Any idea on where people can get up on to the dock level or is that the reason for the strategically placed broken pallet in the photo?

Mark

That's a possibility, I only saw them when they left. One person jumped off and the other two sat and pushed off.

Bruce

Mark

I planned on going back today to watch them unload, I'll try to find out.

Bruce