UP SD40-2's NEW Layout
You are on fire Deano! I wish I was progressing as fast as you! But maybe the trees will slow you down a little bit! Big Grin

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
sailormatlac Wrote:You are on fire Deano! I wish I was progressing as fast as you! But maybe the trees will slow you down a little bit! Big Grin

Matt
Matt, home projects slowed me down to a dead halt for a couple weeks :| , but I am back at it now Thumbsup

I decided I just didn't have enough "operations", industries to work on the layout, so I ended up tearing up darn near the whole south side of the layout Eek .

I had just two sidings up on the layout as it was, have room for three but haven't put the third small siding in, but it just didn't seem to be enough Nope , so I opted to tear out my engine yard(really didn't make sense to be where it was anyways) and moved it by the freight yard. Moving the engine yard gave me a lot of real estate for industries.

2 SHOTS "BEFORE"
[Image: DSCN0504_zpskuf9hhz6.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0518_zpsakvmxoax.jpg]

AND AFTER...
[Image: DSCN1099_zps1wggb70d.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1106_zpsrgvodok5.jpg]

I have admired Wayne's "GERN" for years Worship , I had put a small one up on a previous layout, but I always wanted to do a rather large GERN since it really is the perfect industry for many different freight cars. My GERN is based in Southern WI, serviced by Union Pacific(did ya really think it would have been anything else other then UP Misngth ) during the merger years, mid 80's-early 2000's.
My GERN will have three sidings(possibly four) , one for boxcars, one for covered hoppers, and a siding for tankers.
**Don't pay attention to how the sidings are laying, they are not nailed down, not until I build the sections of GERN Thumbsup
[Image: DSCN1098_zpsc6wiesec.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1096_zpsprnbyoh6.jpg]

I have three kits for the GERN, plus I am making storage silos out of PVC piping, I am open for better ideas on making the silos Wink . I am also going to kitbash the building to make it bigger to suit my needs.
[Image: DSCN1103_zpsvrafbob1.jpg]

Anyways, I am 3% more excited to do this area now Thumbsup , it will really give me some great switching opportunities :mrgreen:
[Image: DSCN0513_zpsvg5mlacj.jpg]

When I finish the GERN area I'll post it in the GERN thread, but the building of it will end up here 8-)

Stay on track folks!
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Hi,
that´s looking much better with the engine service next to the freight yard. Those G.E.R.N. thing is a nice way to model an industrie....I have on on my layout,too...
Keep it going.

Cheers,Chris.
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Thanks so much Chris! Big Grin , the engine yard is now really where it should have been, I will actually be moving the tracks a bit more to make it a more believable engine facility, but that's down the road a ways Wink .

Very excited about my GERN, Wayne is right, it really is the superman of industries Thumbsup , you can use just about any kind of freight cars there...well, probably not autoracks, but.... Misngth .

About 85% of my GERN will be scratchbuilt or kit bashed. I have three pics i'm posting to give you folks an idea of how its going to be, and to see what I am doing :mrgreen: .

None of the tracks are nailed down, I need to get the GERN buildings close to done before I set the track. I am also going to get another switch and place it where the brass switch is that's setting on top of the track, that line will be used for cars waiting to be loaded, boy this GERN will be busy 8-) .

From the back, the last track will be for covered hopper loading/unloading, the FLUX silos are made of PVC, the FLUX Elevator will be scatchbuilt out of Styrene.
The second track will be for loading/unloading boxcars, the main GERN building is there and is a cornerstone background building, I have reworked it and it will be a full size building with the help of styrene Thumbsup . I have an old factory from previous layouts, it will be the old GERN office building for the "pencil pushers" Wink .
The third track will be the tank car loading/unloading track, I have a very small building from past layouts, it will become the pump house, the rest of that area will be scratchbuilt.
The last track I have to put in, but have tracks showing where it goes, is my holding track.

Well, I hope that brief summary helps explain these three pics
[Image: DSCN1111%202_zpsmrtxcdzz.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1113_zpsiqpbg9to.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1118_zpslwn10cla.jpg]

Till next time, stay on track!
Lookin' good, Deano. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Thanks Wayne! :mrgreen: Worship

**UPDATE**
Well, I have been making some progress in bits on a few things since the last post Thumbsup . I have the basic FLUX silos, and grain...err, Flux elevator made. The silos are cut PVC pipe and the elevator is my very own home made background building made 100% out of styrene Wink . The windows that are going on the elevator are leftover from buildings of past layouts(not installed yet). The pic below shows the made elevator with the silos and silo cap just placed on to give you an idea of how it will look...
[Image: DSCN1120%202_zpsybm8rig2.jpg]

The next pic shows some of the progress made on the pump house, the tanker loading/unloading rack, and some progress on the packaging/distribution building, including the platforms inside the building so we will be able to see work work inside of it Wink , again, just some progress, a long way left to go...
[Image: DSCN1128_zps0hgqiaeg.jpg]

Till next time, stay on track folks!
Hi.
looking great. It´s always nice to see some scratchbuild structures...

Regards,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Thanks so much Chris! Big Grin

I'm sorry it takes so long between posts, just so busy anymore Sad , but rest assured progress though small, is constantly being made Thumbsup .

As I have mentioned, things are kinda tight these days money wise, so I have been trying to make some really neat stuff on the cheap Wink . I bought the electric motors background building...
[Image: DSCN1139%202_zpsqspzyhsz.jpg]

I wanted to use that building as a big part of my GERN, by enlarging it with styrene I easily made that background building into a full blown factory for just 1/3rd of the cost of buying a big factory Wink ....
[Image: DSCN1135%202_zpsoccsssh3.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1142_zpsiy8rndtl.jpg]

My elevator is 100% styrene, and again as mentioned, the silos are PVC, total cost so far is just $12.00 Big Grin ...
[Image: DSCN1137_zpsidgzpzcl.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1154_zpsfmvyepo1.jpg]

Well, I have painted all the Buildings to my GERN now, still have lots left to do, weathering the buildings, install windows, doors, roof/other assorted building details, lots of piping left to do, ground cover, aww, so much more. Progress has been made though! Thumbsup ...
[Image: DSCN1163_zpsvlcflmh1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1156_zpsaopgsaub.jpg]

More progress on the next post Wink , stay on track folks!
Deano-

Sure are some impressive looking structures!!

It looks like it will be a lot of fun switching this area!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Hi,

Those structues matched together perfect. Looking very good. Great work.

Regards,Chris
Armstrong is exactly what I need to replace an older building on my layout. Order is placed. Thanks a lot for the tip Smile
Reinhard
Thanks so much guys! :mrgreen:

A small bit of progress tonight...
[Image: DSCN1165_zpszp0zikrx.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1169_zpsqituzrjn.jpg]

Other news, tomorrow I am going to the Illinois Railway Museum Eek Applause :mrgreen:
I used to go at least once every year, sadly once my dad became unable to get around I stopped going Sad in fact I am pretty sure the last time I went was when Wayne joined my dad and I there, wow, that was a few years back. Anyways, tomorrow I AM THERE! Waveof7
I'll have lots of pics to post Wink
Went to the IRM today! Applause As always it was AWESOME Thumbsup

I know this is a layout thread, so I am not going to post all the pics I took, but except for the first and last pic, the rest I will post here are of stuff I actually have models of Big Grin . First off here's me in front of a Milwaukee Road E8 in UP colors...
[Image: DSCN1199%202_zpsnkj2r2ka.jpg]

next up, I have a CNW SD40-2, not the same number but...
[Image: DSCN1179_zpsgnhb5spn.jpg]

I do have this exact engine...
[Image: DSCN1355_zpsgjtftiyu.jpg]

I also have this exact engine, just a note, the guy on the step I work with, that's David Hannel, he volunteers at the IRM...
[Image: DSCN1255_zpsm4as5g1t.jpg]
(Dave is wearing his BNSF hat just to tick me off as he knows I am a diehard UP nut Goldth )

I have 5 thrall door box cars...
[Image: DSCN1335%202_zps0fzj6wfq.jpg]

I have 3 waffle side boxcars...
[Image: DSCN1337_zpsgcylvhso.jpg]

I have one wagon top that I run with my steamers...
[Image: DSCN1170_zpshfzxdyag.jpg]

I have so much more, but I am leaving off with this one, I don't have a Little Joe, but I was lucky enough to be there when they moved this from the barn to get another engine out today Eek , I have NEVER seen this engine outside the barn in all the years I have been there, wow, I was in the right place at the right time for about 15 mins, then it was gone again...
[Image: DSCN1343_zpszlrtxyys.jpg]

Till next time folks, stay on track...
Great pictures Deano and I really like your Hossa sweater,even though I'm a big Red Wing fan Cheers
Thanks nutbar! Big Grin , and thanks for noticing my HOSSA jersey :mrgreen: . That is the Hossa jersey from the stadium series game, Blackhawks VS Penguins, hawks won! Thumbsup I also have Towes away jersey, a Kane home jersey. I have been a diehard Blackhawks fan since 79 Big Grin . Hockey is the ONLY sport I like and follow. BTW, the Red Wings are my second fav team, real Awesome players, GO PAVEL! Applause

**ANYWAYS, I have just about made it to the halfway point on my GERN, still a long way to go, but heres a progress shot from tonight... [Image: DSCN1367_zpsozttq2bg.jpg]