I am so close to finishing my GERN :o Big Grin Big Grin
[Image: DSCN1382_zpsc6mohjbt.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1387_zps8q7qqvn0.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1373_zpsyfgfkwkg.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1374_zpsrm8mkyix.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1383_zpswyxuiv9c.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1390_zpse0ulmgnt.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1398_zpsu0hgwoh9.jpg]

GERN gives me 4 tracks to put cars that cant fit in my yard, that's an awesome plus all in its own Thumbsup . I can load 4 hoppers, three boxcars, and so far one tanker at a time, I am however making one to two more tanker loading docks though. The closest track to the camera is not only a holding track for more cars to be loaded/unloaded but I have blocked the track so I can put a switcher there full time Thumbsup . Whats really great about the holding track is lets say I just have a half hour to run trains at night, well I can switch out all the cars on the four GERN tracks without pulling anything from the engine yard or making up a train, now that's fantastic, its like have a switching layout on its own Applause .

EDIT: Wow, I really need to cover the open space in my false rear wall of the plant, I just noticed it in two pics :oops: :oops: , easy fix Misngth

EDITED EDIT: Sure could use some 90's era GERN bill board options, would be nice to put up some modern GERN billboards around the layout for those of us that model a modern era Wink Wink Wink Big Grin

Till next time folks, stay on track!
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Well done Deano Thumbsup ---I'm sure Cookie Gibson and Doctor Wayne will be very impressed---you've certainly outdone yourself by more that 3% Cheers
Nutbar, Thank you so much for your very kind words, much appreciated Thumbsup

After working on the GERN for a couple weeks I decided to run some trains for a bit, I gotta admit, its fun to lash up 5 tunnels motors and a decent size freight then run it on the layout Applause . Those that know me from the past, WOW, this layout is a long way from the small switching layout I had, and even bigger then the one that my dad had, so again, its just awesome to run big trains and not have the front chase the tail 357 Big Grin .

Anyways, not a great vid, but I put my very first small run by vid up on you tube, Hope you all enjoy it!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs2E9wPnwGEG9kQeY9vDdSQ">https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs2E9w ... kQeY9vDdSQ</a><!-- m -->
I enjoyed the video, Deano, especially because tunnel motors are among my favourites, and it was nice to see that GERN boxcar, too.
Your Rock Valley Division of GERN has really come together nicely, and it's a good example of how GERN can be a traffic generator on any layout. Very nice. Thumbsup Thumbsup
I'll see what my brother can come up with in the way of more modern GERN stuff, as I'm sure that there are others who could use it, too.

Wayne
Great looking GERN plant Deano! I really like all of the details and that terrific loading facility. NICE! Thumbsup Worship
Deano's modeling is up to it's usual high standards.

Wayne how about some current day Gern signage.The Gorman's Grain and Implement sales & service is a state certified Gern product distributor with no signs to tell the world. Sad
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Nutbar, Wayne, Ralph and Catt, Thanks so much for all the very kind words, it means a lot coming from you guys :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Well, I pretty much finished up my GERN, so I added it to the GERN thread Thumbsup .

I also added one more vid to my YouTube channel, its a run by with my Big Boy and a large freight. That will be the last vid I post on YouTube until I figure out how to edit in captions and such into my vids :oops: Smile . You can find it here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs2E9wPnwGEG9kQeY9vDdSQ">https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs2E9w ... kQeY9vDdSQ</a><!-- m -->

Now its time to get back to working on scenery on the layout again Thumbsup

Till next time, stay on track!
I enjoyed that run-by, Deano, and it was nice to see some "old friends", too.

Wayne
Nice videos Deano! The UP diesel consist was majestic, particularly with the concerto of horn at the beginning.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Hi,
that´s a fantastic looking Gern facility. Great work.....NIce details and videos.

Regards,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Thanks so much! , Wayne Matt & Chris Big Grin

I have finally figured out how to edit my vids now :mrgreen: , I cant wait to do more vids, lots of UP stuff, WSOR, Milwaukee Road and CNW too! I have a bunch of passenger train vids I would love to do also, UP, Milwaukee Road, CNW, the Aero train, Pioneer Zephyr and a few more Wink , sadly, I have so much scenery to get done before I do anymore vids, just have to do new areas so nobody gets sick of the little bit I have done :oops: .

Just about finished with the area to the east of the mountain, that includes the creek too Thumbsup ....
[Image: DSCN1655_zpscvoxxenz.jpg]

I'll try and get a couple more shots up this weekend, till next time, stay on track folks!
doctorwayne Wrote:I
I'll see what my brother can come up with in the way of more modern GERN stuff, as I'm sure that there are others who could use it, too.

Wayne

Yes please Wayne, more modern GERN (roughly between 1980 and today) would be great :-)

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but what did you use for your backdrops? Did you have to seal it with something since you're below grade? Did you power head nail furring strips to the walls?
Thanks!
jcj380 Wrote:Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but what did you use for your backdrops? Did you have to seal it with something since you're below grade? Did you power head nail furring strips to the walls?
Thanks!
jcj380, Good question, I don't recall mentioning it :oops: . For the backdrops I used 1/8'' "hardboard", glorified hard pressed cardboard really. I used a blue washable satin finish house paint, no sealer, but I put two coats on it. Not finished painting it yet, I still need to airbrush clouds on it Wink . I screwed 1x2's two feet tall about every 3' all along the back of my layout baseboards, then used drywall screws to screw the hardboard to the 1x2's, that's how the backdrops were done Thumbsup . Thanks for asking!

Been working on the layout for a couple days hard now, hope to have a couple pics of the progress up by Sunday.

Did a side project tonight, I have a Walthers undecorated evens boxcar that I never got around to doing, decided to start it tonight.
[Image: DSCN1564_zpshqixvz7q.jpg]

I have seen a few pics of different UP boxcar paint schemes I don't have so I have been really wanting to do some of them, you know just to have some neat cars that the manufactures haven't made...yet.

Sadly all my RR paints are old and no good now, after all these years what do I expect, so I went to Walmat in hopes of finding a color close to UP's boxcar red, WOW, I HIT THE JACK POT!! Eek I painted the boxcar...
[Image: DSCN1658_zpskdwdp125.jpg]

Then I compared it to a Bowser UP Hopper...
[Image: DSCN1661_zpsskty8c0n.jpg]

Then I compared it to an Accurail UP boxcar...
[Image: DSCN1663_zpsovyf1tjf.jpg]

While not a 100% match to either of them, boy, it sure looks real good to me Thumbsup .

So I started decaling the boxcar, but had a misshap happen, nothing I can do now though, one of the decals moved when I put the solvaset on it, cripes, once you got solvaset on it that's it, no trying to fix it without totally ruining it Nope . I can live with it, could have been worse, anyways, I have to finish the other side, put it back together, weather it and then dull coat it. Heres a couple shots of it after I done all I'm doing tonight...
[Image: DSCN1679_zpsafcgov1u.jpg]

[Image: DSCN1686_zpst7scbsb1.jpg]

The dull coat will take the water marks out.

Till next time, stay on track!
Hi Deano, Hardboard makes a great backdrop. I used the stuff with a white finish on one side to save on paint.
The boxcar color looks great, no two cars are really the same color anyhow with fading and time . I have even used the cheap dollar store red oxide primer but I do put clear over it before decaling, then the dull coat. The oops will not be noticed at all.
You are really moving right along.
Charlie