20ftx15inch Switching layout
I like the latest version of the plan. I also like the critique Ed made but if you do go his route with the extra spur maybe adding it to the bottom part of the S curve facing the opposite way. It would change up the position of the engine location on the train and if your industries get real busy you could have engines on both ends of your train.
FCIN Wrote:
postman Wrote:Thanks Mike. My idea is to model the mainline and the industrial lead, no yard. A CSX local train does the switching in the area. Maybe will use the mainline as staging track. This is a picture of the rough track plan, updates will come.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
This plan is shaping up nicely! Not filled with track and plenty of room to switch the industrial spur. You could possibly add another industrial spur coming off the the "S" curve section if you wanted like this:[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND] but otherwise it has a nice clean look with plenty of room for scenery. I'm a firm believer in the Less is More layout style plans.

From doing a lot of "plan and operation testing" over the past year or so, I've found that just three or four multi-spot industries can provide for a nice hour or so of operation. No need to try and squeeze an industry or track into every inch of the benchwork. Just think "prototype operation".

I'd probably stage the train on the left side of the plan so you'd have a nice long run before you reached the industrial spur to do your work. I'd also use a caboose/shoving platform for the reverse move back toward the yard or wherever.

Since it appears that I'm going to have to find a new location for my own switching layout, I may have to "borrow" some ideas off your plan once I figure out what I'm going to do. You've already given me an idea or two.

Will be following this thread with great interest.

Thanks Ed. Yes, I´ll stage the train on the left side and I´ll do switching in the spur. After that the train will run down the mainline to the right side and off the layout. More industries are waiting for loads and empties .
Rscott417 Wrote:I like the latest version of the plan. I also like the critique Ed made but if you do go his route with the extra spur maybe adding it to the bottom part of the S curve facing the opposite way. It would change up the position of the engine location on the train and if your industries get real busy you could have engines on both ends of your train.

Thanks. You mean to put a facing spur, the train runs from left side to right side?. It´s a good idea. The train could work that spur when returning to an off layout yard, running from right side to left side and only an engine will be needed.
Hello. Today was thinking how will be an ops session on the layout. I´ll run only 4 axles locomotives and the max train length will be 10 cars. If you ask me what layout I´m building and planning, I´m building a proto-freelance modular layout. My prototype is CSX but don´t model a specific division. What do you think?. Do you think would be better and easier to model a specific place?
postman Wrote:Do you think would be better and easier to model a specific place?
Depends on what you want. There are several actual locations that I'd have liked to model, but they don't support the equipment types I like or just wouldn't work in my available space. Twice over the years, I've started layouts based on actual locations but for one reason or another, never got very far with them: in most cases it was due to not being able to get the proper locomotive(s) and/or cars at the time; which 20 years later are now readily available! Isn't that just the way?

So I just model a fictitious L&N industrial spur in the late 70s to early 80s and include the industries and equipment types that I like - especially the IPD shortline box cars which were so plentiful during that time. I use 4 axle power (GP38-2 and U28B) and trains are 6 to 10 cars in length or I should say were since I'm having to come up with a different layout location now.

I really prefer to freelance so that I can model what I like, but at the same time, try to make it believable.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Hello. Today I´ve built the new module for a new industrial spur coming off the mainline.

[Image: DSCF4203.jpg]
Hello. Those are some pics of the progress on the layout.

[Image: DSCF4213.jpg]
[Image: DSCF4215.jpg]
[Image: DSCF4216.jpg]
Hello all. Not much progress on the layout but was thinking that maybe will be more switching opportunities if I put the mainline track in the middle. Icon_idea
Anyone more building modules? .What do you think?
Hello!. I´m back to the hobby after a long time suffering lack of modeling motivation. My next project is building a road crossing the track on one of the modules. I´m using cork and styrene as materials and my idea is painting the road in a grey -concrete colour.

[Image: DSCF4236.jpg]
To mme, this is interesting stuff. I'm putting together a line myself and don't know diddly about USA practice in the boondocks. To see how crossings are laid out means I won't be making too many howlers, I hope. Thanks for the link.
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
Catweasel Wrote:To mme, this is interesting stuff. I'm putting together a line myself and don't know diddly about USA practice in the boondocks. To see how crossings are laid out means I won't be making too many howlers, I hope. Thanks for the link.

You´re welcome. Do you have photos of your layout?. Do you follow a real prototype?
No photo's yet,'cos I've only just started laying track.If you look at "getting to know you" new kid on the block, you'll find the track plan I'm using. It's a bit fiendish but good fun. Don't want to pinch this thread.
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
Hello!. Early in the morning painted the styrene sheet with a grey primer paint. Don´t know if make this module a paved area. What do you think?

[Image: DSCF4238_1.jpg]
A non-update update on my modules. :mrgreen:
Not getting much done on the layout but want to start doing scenery on the modules. Need to find a good material to use as basic ground cover, want the dusty with wild grass look. BTW my concern is what industries will be on the layout and tweaking the track plan to have fun when operating the layout. All the spurs are facing the same direction but have had thoughts about adding a new spur facing the other way. Now, If I put that spur, will need a runaround and won´t be able to use one track as storage track. I´m also thinking about lengthening the industrial spurs and maybe to put an interchange. Do you think is plausible to have an interchange near the industries served by my prototype?.
Hello all!. This is a new version of my track plan. Put a siding and will use it as storage track. In the future if space allows, I´ll put a new industry spur facing the other way and will use the siding as runaround. :mrgreen:
Would like also to put a track curving to the front edge.

Attached Files Image(s)