Mindheim Track Doubled
Glad you like it Larry.

Attached, you find the AnyRail version with the modules integrated into a home layout.
The modules of the switching part are about 11'2'' x 6'6''.

What do you think?

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

Guys, if I don't bleed to death pretty soon, I'm gonna die of boredom.
Stephan,I like it because its very prototypical-the crew would need permission from the DS to use the main while they switched the industries..Here's the icing on the cake..The local crew may need to clear up for a train-even if there is neither one,the local crew could still clear until a "train" passes..This adds to the operation value by adding minutes.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Thank you Larry.

I will make one change: The first three switches on the lower left will be moved down over the border of the two modules.
That will expand the siding again and leave more space in the top left part of the layout.

There has to be an explanation for the large space between the "main line" and the industrial spur on the upper right part.
Maybe a street? Or industrial areas with some stored materials or maybe simply rank growth?

Additionally, I have to find a solution for how to cuntinue on the top right side.
I still have about 31x98 inches of space for additional modules right from the planned modules (the large grey box with the bended track and down from it).
Maybe a really generously planned szene like the one on the video with the tank cars would be fun.
The "main line" has to cuntinue, too.
I already made a first drawing and attached it to this post.

Let me know your ideas.

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

Brakie Wrote:Stephan,I like it because its very prototypical-the crew would need permission from the DS to use the main while they switched the industries..Here's the icing on the cake..The local crew may need to clear up for a train-even if there is neither one,the local crew could still clear until a "train" passes..This adds to the operation value by adding minutes.
need

If those tracks are a branch line any trains working it will already have DS permission to be there. If two trains are working the branch both trains will have working limits from the DS to keep them apart. That way neither train needs permission to work the main.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
If those tracks are a branch line any trains working it will already have DS permission to be there. If two trains are working the branch both trains will have working limits from the DS to keep them apart. That way neither train needs permission to work the main.
-------------------------------------
True,but,I was thinking more on main line operation.. Even if you have work to do, the DS would appreciate knowing about it after all you are tying up his "railroad". Even on a branch line you may need to clear up for that second train so,that man can pass you. The truth is locals isn't very high in the pecking order-just slightly above a hi-railer.

BTW..One of the DS favorite questions is :How much time will it take you to do that? I have 2 Westbounds and 1 Eastbound to run.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

This is the latest Version of the Track Plan.
What do you guys think?

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

The siding is still WAY TOO long. Put the right end switch below the spurs going to top left corner. That's the way it would be done by the real RRs.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
lajry Wrote:The siding is still WAY TOO long.
I even made it longer. Thumbsup

lajry Wrote:Put the right end switch below the spurs going to top left corner. That's the way it would be done by the real RRs.
I do not understand what you mean? Does this advice concern the siding, too?
Stephan

Here´s the (more or less) final wrap-up.
Maybe some of the tracks will get a different position or angle/radius when they´re laid down.

What do you guys think (besides that the siding is way too long...)?

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

I'm straight up confused how a siding can be "too long." They're as long as they need to be!

The last rail served industry in my city was at the end of a mile and a half long spur with eight grade crossings.
radivil Wrote:I'm straight up confused how a siding can be "too long." They're as long as they need to be!

The last rail served industry in my city was at the end of a mile and a half long spur with eight grade crossings.

Ask any conductor that needs to make a runaround move using a 12,000' siding.. Wallbang

Most industrial leads I worked on the PRR had short 1800' runarounds and still the majority of the conductors would elect to switch a facing point industry on our return trip-unless we was going for overtime..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

radivil Wrote:I'm straight up confused how a siding can be "too long." They're as long as they need to be!
I agree, another example..NYNJ rail switching SIMS recycling in Brooklyn. They leave the 65th street yard and enter 1st ave yard, there they run around the gondolas and push them back onto 1st ave and through a Honda dealer lot then to SIMS. That shove move has to be at least 1500 feet. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNgGTUbaBfc">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sNgGTUbaBfc</a><!-- m -->
Lance's layout plans are usually just industrial leads w/ only one train at a time working them. But if some want to operate this plan as if it were a mainline, it's your MR so operate it any way you want. But then again, if you're the only one operating it why make it more complicated?
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
Thank you for your ideas and thoughts.
The layout is designed to satisfy both home-branchline-industrial-switching and modular mainline-railroading.
The long siding expands the time needed to do the work, and on model railroads, thats usually a good thing.
I did not plan several saw-crossovers, too many industries on one siding or so to keep the switching itself simple.
But it is fun to watch a train operate, even if it´s while using a too long siding.

Of course, the prototype would do different, but the siding I planned is only about 0.3 miles long calculated on the prototype...

I plan to locate the setting on Texas or Oclahoma, mainly Hoppers, Tank Cars, Gondolas and Centerbeam Flats.
Guess it would look good to see the BNSF shoving some cars in my appartment. Wink
Stephan

By the way: I think about moving the scene from Texas / Oklahoma up to Illinois, near Chicago.

Something like this. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIfB2jnZGiw">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIfB2jnZGiw</a><!-- m -->

Or this. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://youtu.be/69p2bqkWU1Q">https://youtu.be/69p2bqkWU1Q</a><!-- m -->
Stephan