Mindheim Track Doubled
A question to all those who work for the real RR:
How do you think the plan would become more prototypical?

Maybe not building any siding / runaround?

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

Guys, if I don't bleed to death pretty soon, I'm gonna die of boredom.
I don't think there's anything unprotypical about your plan but I think where you'll run into problems is trying to run a mainline train and a local at the same time, especially if it's just you operating it. Maybe you could consider operating 2 locals, one works the industries in the east, the other works the west. You could use the siding on the lower right for trains to await orders before and after switching.
Rscott417 Wrote:I don't think there's anything unprotypical about your plan but I think where you'll run into problems is trying to run a mainline train and a local at the same time, especially if it's just you operating it. Maybe you could consider operating 2 locals, one works the industries in the east, the other works the west. You could use the siding on the lower right for trains to await orders before and after switching.

In 99% of all cases there will be only one train operating on the layout.
And that´s the local switching the industries.

Sometimes I will have a visitor that may run a second train.
So there can be a mainline train running trough and forcing the local to clear the main.
Or there can be a second local (or a split-up local with two locomotives) and both switch the industries.
Stephan

Every now and then, when the juices are really flowing, I'll have 3 trains running at once-one each on the two independent main lines, and a third working one of the two yards...It can be dicey at times... Eek
Gus (LC&P).
I think about making the following changes.
What do you think?

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

Looks good - but, if I may offer a suggestion = extend the curving track from the turnout @ lower left to run further down the board from the turnout, and then curve it onto the 5-sided board @ bottom left - it will give you a far more useful spur track and you may be able to add another useful industry, or transload siding
My latest plan.
What do you think?

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

Here´s the (maybe some minimal changes still to come) final track plan incl. the number of spots of each track.

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

This is the final plan.
Iwas able to make the curves even wider.

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

Hi Guys,

I want to start building the layout quite soon.
But before I do, I would like you to give as much feedback as possible.
That will help me to find the weak points of the plan and maybe even to develop the different industries.

Here´s the information that is already certain.

- minimum radius: 31''
- BNSF 2010-2015
- industrial area in the outskirts of Chicago, IL.
- modular americaN standard connection on the top left and lower right ends of the layout (kinda main line)
- the siding will not be shortened Wink
- favorite cars to establish: Centerbeams, Hoppers (cement, chemical, grain), Tank Cars, Boxcars, Reefers and some Container Cars
- industries I´d like to have: Cement, Warehouses, Wood and a small container facility (maybe two cars a day that arrive with the mixed local) in combination with a team track
- continuous running connection from the top right to the lower right part of the layout with a small staging area (3-4 tracks)

Did I forget / miss anything? Just ask!

I'm looking forward to your help, ideas, advice and hints.

Regards

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

I like the plan but most people add team tracks to layouts because of a lack of space and want the variety of rolling stock. You have the space and already have plenty of spurs that will recieve all the cars that would appear on a team track, why not go for a scrap yard and get a couple gondolas on the layout. Either way, looking forward to the start of this layout.
Rscott417 Wrote:I like the plan but most people add team tracks to layouts because of a lack of space and want the variety of rolling stock. You have the space and already have plenty of spurs that will recieve all the cars that would appear on a team track, why not go for a scrap yard and get a couple gondolas on the layout. Either way, looking forward to the start of this layout.

That´s an interesting point...
I will hopefully be able to generate traffic for lots of different car types.
A team track, just like an interchange, gives the best possible flexibility and I would like to have the option to use more exotic cars in future.

I am looking forward to the start, too.
It will begin during the next 3 months.
Stephan

Here´s the (I hope so) final wrap-up.

Some changes have been made, especially concerning the interchange on the left and the turnouts on the lower part.

I hope you like it as much as I do, although there´s not much left from the first Mindheim-Plan.
That leads to the knowledge, that it is sometimes better to develope an own plan then trying to change an existing one at all costs.

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan