Just Sayin...
Had a brain-f..t this morning...
How about adding a "Like/Dislike" button to the postings (a la Facebook), to show the poster you appreciate their post (or not), without having to write out an often trivial response..?? This, of course, as an option only. The "Reply" option would still be available.
Just sayin'...
Gus (LC&P).
These things Thumbsup Nope simply don't help someone improve.
I've always found an honest evaluation beats the use of some off the wall "smilie".

If they've done a superb job ?, " nicely done " ( with or without the smilie )

If there's room for improvement ?, " Next time, give this brief how-to a try, and see if it works a little better for you ".
could provide a suggested path for doing it better.

It's Facebook's "Like/Dislike button", that keeps me away from that particular bit of online insanity. It's just a bit cold.

Let's keep it a bit more 'positive'.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Render onto Facebook what belongs to Facebook..... Icon_lol

Our software doesn't have this option to begin with although there are times you might feel like that's all you need to say, but hey, I don't think a like/dislike button is the answer for us. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Sumpter250 Wrote:These things Thumbsup Nope simply don't help someone improve.
I've always found an honest evaluation beats the use of some off the wall "smilie".

If they've done a superb job ?, " nicely done " ( with or without the smilie )

If there's room for improvement ?, " Next time, give this brief how-to a try, and see if it works a little better for you ".
could provide a suggested path for doing it better.

Let's keep it a bit more 'positive'.

How many posts have you seen say that. We're such a nice bunch of guys, that bashing someone's work, or giving a little constructive help, is beyond our personalities.
And if someone did say: "That's a piece of crap! If I were you I'd throw it away and start all over again. See if you can it right the second time.", Just imagine the replies that guy would get.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
And if someone did say: "That's a piece of crap! If I were you I'd throw it away and start all over again. See if you can it right the second time.", Just imagine the replies that guy would get.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
And I would be the first to delete such a reply-even if its by a follow moderator.. I firmly believe there is no need to say such things since we do not know if the modeler has a physical or menial disability..

Now if the poster is asking for feedback on his project then the replies should be helpful while staying civil.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:How many posts have you seen say that. We're such a nice bunch of guys, that bashing someone's work, or giving a little constructive help, is beyond our personalities.

I dunno, Ed. We seem to be pretty good at "a little constructive help". Thumbsup

Andrew
I can see how a "feature" that negates the need for discussion on a discussion forum would be of interest...
I could see a like function but I prefer to express what detail I like most.
A simple dislike is not helpful and most/many would consider it rude. I prefer to get an explanation what I did wrong from point of view of the reader to get the knowledge to correct it.
Reinhard
One of the reasons that I love this forum is the positive vibe. On the Model Railroad Forum, simple postings have turned into a bitchfest. Conversely, I guess that if you put a like button, you don't have to put a dislike button.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I agree that discussion is an integral and important part of the forum.
That's why I say that the "Reply" option should be kept.
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:I agree that discussion is an integral and important part of the forum.
That's why I say that the "Reply" option should be kept.

Yup, I think we all agree on that. I would also thing that adding a like/dislike button would take away the incentive for a constructive discussion for some people though.

Just some background, I originally started off on some of the other more popular forums and was lambasted there from the get-go. Then I was told that The-Gauge was the place to go if you wanted to learn about the craft without all the harassing and degrading replies. That was some 12 years ago, and things haven't changed here except that Mikey and myself took the reigns when things started to go downhill and move in the wrong direction. I've always said that someone could post a photo of a pile of dirt and rocks and the responses would be, "nice start, now if you would......" I know, there are times that we all find that we could bite our tongue rather than post a "nice" reply, but we go ahead and do it anyway. Sometimes the answer to a question is obvious or can be easily found, but we answer it anyway. Everyone that puts an honest effort into what they do deserves recognition regardless of how short their efforts fall compared to others. It's easy to forget that it's a hobby, but the folks on Big Blue usually keep things on track.

If people here didn't answer my "dumb" questions and offer constructive help, I might have walked away from the hobby entirely since there were other options, I almost did thanks to the reception I got on these other forums. If there was a "like/dislike" button, I might have gotten so many "dislikes' that I might have gotten discouraged. Would Big Blue exist today had I not hung around the old Gauge? Icon_lol That's hard to say, but both Mikey, myself and all our mods stuck it out and so here we are and that's what counts. Thumbsup

Both Mikey and I are delighted and very proud that Big Blue can operate as loosely as it does. We attribute that to the dedicated moderators that have been with us all this time from as far back as Dec. 2000, and for sure, all our classy members. We thank you all..... Applause Applause Applause Applause Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Steamtrains Wrote:Had a brain-f..t this morning....

Musta been caused by a passing dis-iesel, eh? Crazy Misngth

The "like" part of FB and other such sites squelched any interest that I might have otherwise had - I never had a need to be liked or have my work liked either (probably a good thing in both cases Crazy ).
It's all too easy to be superficial nowadays, and I think that the friendly discussions available here are what make this such a nice place to be.

Wayne
I have joined FB and I keep contact with a few friends and relatives as well as a few railfan and historical society pages. I have dropped off some of the railfan FB pages because of the ignorance of some of the posters.
I asked for some specific info on an area of interest and the reply was to "Google Google Google". I had shared many of my older pictures with that group. I am gone because of this ass, and so are my pictures. I have got some good "heads up" on Heritage locomotives and train movements from the Heritage page and the guys are very much gentlemen. I get annoyed at getting notifications because "Jimmy" likes your post. I don't care whether jimmy likes it or not.
I have made contact with people that were very helpful to me at the KJR that I had lost track of so that part is good, and the historical pictures from private folks is even better but you just don't have to be "friends" with John's (grandma's friends 3rd cousin 5 times removed) first grade school teacher.
The Gauge is the place to be. We don't need no like button, and when I tell some one that looks like a pile of #%^& I will be referring to a barnyard scene, or a street scene recently modeled by a very talented modeler here of the gauge.
Charlie
" you just don't have to be "friends" with John's (grandma's friends 3rd cousin 5 times removed) first grade school teacher. "
Big Grin Wink Big Grin Nope, you don't. But, she is good people and I kind of like her, even if she is a year younger than I am. 357 357 Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Pete, that's a good one. Applause Applause Applause
Charlie