blind drivers
Some steam loco's had to use blind drivers in order to negotiate some of the sharp curves. Does anybody know which loco's had these blind drivers. A small list would be nice. :-o
Oh ....I thought you were talking about all the people texting while driving ! Eek Goldth ....my bad . Misngth
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
The list would be huge.

Most eight-coupled logging engines, long wheelbase ten or twelve-coupled, probably even Ten-Wheelers, Pacifics etc.

While probably impossible to know for certain it would be interesting to find out what percentage were equipped with blind drivers.

Dan M.
I know of one locomotive that used blind drivers and it was the Decapod! I don't know which RR did this but the center set or the last set had no flange(blind). I know our model loco's use this because of the 18 in. curves. Now you know that I am not texting! (thanks Dr. Wayne for this info) Cheers
leon Wrote:A small list would be nice.

Since you posted this in the HO section, I presume you mean model locomotives...
I know the Rivorossi "Big Boy" has blind drivers.
Don't know if the Athearn, MTH or others do or not.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
The HO scale, Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Dry-dock Company, had to blind two sets of drivers on their 3' gauge 2-8-2. The other 2-8-2 was converted to a 2-4-4-2. Their 2-6-6-2 didn't need to have any blind drivers, because the short wheelbases were able to follow the tight curves in the ship yard, without any problems.
Wink SHS&D, and the Sagaponack Montauk & Cindys Harbor ( SM&CH ) are both owned and operated by the Shipyard.
A convenient way of modeling what I like, even though it never really existed.
The 30" gauge Wiscasset Bucksport & Schoodic Point RR, in O scale is another wholly owned subsidiary. It operates Shays, but the General Manager of the line, is hoping to have a 30" gauge 2-6-6-2 built by the Ship yard, once revenue is strong enough to afford it.
SHS&D's 2-4-4-2, on the dual gauge high line, several miles inland from Cindys Harbor seaport, over the upper Kennequogue River.

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/13/t/180866.aspx">http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/13/t/180866.aspx</a><!-- m --> has some info on various 1:1 blind stivers
Cid