Anyone downloaded Windows 10 yet ?
What I need is a bit more speed and I'm getting tired of Win 7 hanging up. I go to Task Manager and without doing anything, I've got my computer back for a while. I think one of my programs running in the background is doing this. I'm hoping that Win 10 will work faster and more efficient.

Oh, Kim Kamando says that there is already a security update release for Win 10. She says to be careful about your installation because MS will by default start collecting information from you machine on how you do things, and she also says that Win10 will change your default browser and it's difficult to change it back. She recommends using the "Custom" install rather than the "Express". That way you can opt out of a lot of these default settings such as not sending periodic reports back to MS and keeping Firefox or Chrome as you default browser.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I liked XP too and was not happy when I couldn't get my old computer working after a hard drive fried . I could not get XP for the new laptop I had to buy and Windows 7 couldn't be bought either ....they were pushing Windows 8 which was on the new computer . After much cursing about Win 8 , I've finally gotten used to it ....not in love with it .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
XP was probably the most trouble free operating System that Microsoft ever released, but their no longer giving support/updates effectively killed it. Windows 7 isn't bad though. If you use disk clean regularly, It REALLY speeds up your computer. I'm using Windows 8 now and it"s OK> I think that Microsoft just wants to consolidate it's software support to one operating system.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
No, and I have no desire to do so, since it will not run all of the software I am currently using.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of MS's constant planned obsolescence designed to sell us replacement operating systems.

I like WinXP, personally, and it's been downhill ever since.
Win 10 on 4 computers now... 2 the wife's and mine and 2 friend's laptops... Only glitch so far is some older hardware like a printer not being recognized.

I had an issue with pop-ups on Chrome, but I switched back to Firefox and all is good now. There were no issues with the upgrades on any of the 2 desktops or 2 laptops, but as has been said, you have to do a Google search for your specific system (manufacturer etc) to see what everyone else is saying. I ended up loading in a new version of Malware bytes and some other programs updated too. There are hundreds of posts about win 10 fixes and add-ons. it looks like they actually (Finally) thought of everything.

.........But I'm sure they missed some things Smile Eek Crazy Crazy
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Well I got my " reserve " on Win 10 on my older laptop ....had to do some updates before I was officially accepted .....now I guess I wait for STEP # 2 where they actually give me the go ahead ..... I guess Bill Gates has to give me his blessing Icon_lol I'll hold off on my newer laptop although it looks like I'll be good to go on it .
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
I miss the search engine that comes with Win XP. A lot of the teckies made fun of it, but if I want to find a picture using part of a file name it works. I searched the Win 10 computer (which has all my pictures on it too) and i used several methods to search for one of my pictures from this date (0807) and though it had lots of hits it did not find one picture from that date. The XP machine found 112 in less than a minute on a 2TB hard drive. They need to bring the xp search ahead to Win10 or I will have to quit posting to the "this day in the past" thread if I lose my XP machine.
Had to roll mine back to Windows 7. 10 took out my network connection. I tried a new network card with no success. The computer vendor and the network card vendor are not supporting my particular machine for Windows 10. I'll try again in a few months. I plan to wait a month or two before trying it on my primary computer.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Tried it on the primary pc 2 days ago. Went ahead smooth, loaded up easily. Yesterday had problems with Edge not loading. Today edge stopped completely, then had the 'new BSOD", very colorful one. So back to Win7 it went.
Hate it, Hate it, Hate it.. freezes up my computer on startup every time, never had that problem before. Difficult to navigate. Doesn't work with a lot of my old programs,, doesn't play nice with my camera,, the way it sorts and stores pictures is garbage. will probably go back to 7.. Can't say enough bad things about it......Bill Gates can bite me along with every person that recommended it to me.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I am back to Windows 7 too. The ESU and Zimo programmer applications need a (fake) 1024 x 768 screen resolution on a physical 1024 x 600 screen. The new Microsoft generic device drivers do not support that fake resolution anymore and ASUS does not supply updated device drivers for Windows 10. I like the easy way to go back provided from Microsoft. A really friendly offer.
The two DCC decoder programming applications are the only reason to run a windows system. Everything else is on Apple. They are my Windows killer applications.

Handling of Windows 10 was new but nice. Biggest surprise was a better and more snappy performance on a very old and under powered Eee netbook. I would have liked to stay with Windows 10. Except Edge. I did not understand how it works or it works not as designed. I used Firefox as a browser and dropped Edge soon.
Reinhard
I had a problem with edge importing favorites from IE. It pulled the folders, but they were empty, and it didn't pull the links in the root of the favorites folder.
I did like how it would 'cascade' the windows or put them side by side by default, but that can be done with 7 also. The active tiles were nice.
Well Win10 won't even see the pictures on the camera.....can you say bye bye win 10....
Hard to believe that this is the fifth system since XP and each one has been worse than the one before. By win 13 there won't be anything left that works. A simple thing like seeing pictures in a camera folder and the folks at microsoft seemed to mock the folks with this problem. Nope
Charlie
After reading Kim Kamando everyday, I think it would be easy to compile a list of "love Win10" and "hate Win10". One "hate" is the fact that you cannot control your updates, they come and get installed when MS decides, not you. Right now, apparently, the latest update will cause some machines to go into an endless boot cycle. It installs the update, then when it re-boots, it tries to do it again....and again...

Best bet, wait a few months for things to shake out before installing... So far, they haven't sent me the upgrade and I guess that's a good thing. Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Like I said, wait until the first service pack comes around. THEN install Windows 10 (at the earliest). I agree, widows XP was the best operating system that they had, but I also liked Windows 7. I'm now working with Windows 8.1 and I haven"t had any problems with it.

I have a Microsoft Surface and I still use a mouse instead of swiping the screen (then you have to constantly swipe the screen). I just prefer a wireless mouse to a touch pad, although the mouse is useless with programs like AnyRail.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.