Anyone downloaded Windows 10 yet ?
Well I did the upgrade on my one laptop after talking to a friend who has a similar system and had no trouble . So far , so good .....I like the little messages during the changeover that keep you informed , nice touch .

I kept Google Chrome . Has " Edge " worked out for anyone ?
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Did the upgrade on my Dell desktop last night - everything went off without a hitch. All my installed programs and device drivers work just fine. Like some of the new features and it does seem to run a tad faster then 8.1. Just need to get used to the slight changes in the way some things look and work.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Edge is not that great.... I switched to Mozilla Firefox. I did have Chrome, but started getting a lot of pop-up ads... Firefox works great!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
My only fear is what might be lost in "importing" or rearranged in some weird way if I go to Firefox . Win 10 transferred my hundreds of car pics but they are stored much differntly from how I had them . In the long run it might be a better way but I have work to do figuring it all out . Wallbang
ngauger Wrote:Edge is not that great.... I switched to Mozilla Firefox.
Couldn't agree more! Have used Firefox for years now. "Internet Exploder" (worst browser there is/was) and the new "Edge" just don't get it. Edge seems to have more uses than just for web browsing, so will leave it alone and keep Firefox as my default browser. Have tried Chrome a couple of times, but just don't care for that either.

teejay - When I installed Win10 - all my folders/photos/etc. ended up just where they were on Win8.1 - but to be on the safe side, I made sure I had everything backed up - just in case. As I mentioned, every program I had installed under Win8.1 still function just fine.

Spending some time tonight exploring what I can and can't do with the new Windows and finding out what tweaks and hidden functions are available.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago on a car/ street rod forum ......lots of XP guys still hanging on . There are a few " wait and sees" , but those who have changed over to Win 10 , seem to like it except for one particular guy who flat out hates Win 10 . He builds his own computers and seems to be off in a world of his own .....couldn't understand anything he was talking about . Like here , most don't use Edge although most of us will admit e are sticking with our old browser out of comfort .

I'm liking Win 10 so far and have no complaints ....sticking with Chrome for now .
Hi there,
Got the message to install win 10 on the release date and did the update the same night without any issues. Have an Toshiba laptop with AMD CPU and 2 gb ram. I´ve updated from win 7 pro and now have win 10 pro. All is working fine,no problems. A week later I could update my wife´s desktop pc and it worked,too. Last week I updated my Acer Tablet with win 8.1 to 10 and it also worked without any problem.
My Toshiba Laptop is starting a bit faster than before. So nothing to report for now.
I made a complete HD Backup on an extern HD. I´m storing all my pictures ,musik etc extern on usb hd. Only to be prepared for the worst case scenario Big Grin
I also played around with the new Edge browser and it´s okay...I´m using Firefox for decades but why not give the new thing a try. Import favourites to edge is a bit difficult at the moment but it works. I´ve saved the Firefox favourites in html, then imported it to IE11 and then to edge. All folders are there and all links,too. Nice thing on 10 is the app for connecting with Xbox One and 360... So I´ll stay with Win10.

Cheers,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Put Win10 on this machine last night. It was kind of weird, there was no message saying I was ready, but when I clicked on the white flag icon, I wound up starting to download Win10. After it downloaded, I was told by others that I would be given a choice how to install it, but not so, the only choice I had was when. I could install it immediately or sometime in the next few days where I could pick the time. I did a complete backup on a external hard drive and last night I went through the process again and the only choice I had was when to install. I picked "now", and it took off on it's own for the next few hours. This morning, I was left with one choice again, "express setup" which took a short time and I was ready to go. At first I didn't see much difference, but I guess I have to do a whole bunch of manual setting changes, I just need to find them all. The thing that I was worried about, the install crashing, didn't happen and all my data is safe, so that's a good thing.... Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I tried it twice and liked it even less than 8.1. I am too old fro this new stuff. I have a PC, not a smart phone. I had to get out the restore disks and restored the entire computer to 8.1 and left it off line to configure so it didn't want me to launch the cloud. I keep my stuff backed up in house on my hard drives. My only reason for upgrading the computer was the newest Quicken would not install in winxp, of course it installed in win8 but I am not pleased with the program and I have been using it since February. I do not intend to use quicken when this version blows up. Now with that out of the way I will try to use my photo editing program on the new laptop because it is faster and has better graphics. There is no scanner and camera download wizard like in XP and I can not understand why. It is the best program I have found for getting pictures from a camera and automatically naming the files. My Photoshop elements does it, but not nearly as well. In all the years with new systems and all the folks complaining about this feature you would think someone would create one for win8 and 10.
I have been working with Windows since 3.1 and some of the upgrades have not been good. XP IMHO was great and they have spent 14 years destroying it with new systems. I am waiting for Windows, Old Fart version. Icon_lol
Charlie
Speaking of Quicken, I'm running version 2001. All I need is their banking ledgers and check printing. Well, I just tried to print some checks and could not call up my printer. Yup, there are no Win10 compatible drivers for my printer. OK, let me change printers.... I wish. :? Quicken will not allow me to set up any printer for printing checks. So, now I get a "free" upgrade from MS, but I have to spend about $50 to upgrade Quicken, and at least another $100 to get a new laser B/W printer. Now I wonder what else is not compatible???? Curse
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
It's one of the reasons why I kept Win 8.1 on an older laptop that is printer compatible and also where I do my income tax program every year ........didn't want any surprises come tax time .

T
I've got to dig my old computer out of storage and use that for Quicken, at least until we move to the new house. I've got a freeze on buying anything new that we have to carry with us....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Here's a link on how to change your privacy settings so that M$ doesn't watch and capture every keystroke you make on you personal computer.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.single.html">http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... ingle.html</a><!-- m -->

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
FiatFan Wrote:Here's a link on how to change your privacy settings so that M$ doesn't watch and capture every keystroke you make on you personal computer.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.single.html">http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... ingle.html</a><!-- m -->

Tom
That article alone tells me why I don't need or want WIN 10
Charlie
Yeah, I've been reading Kim Kamando and she says the same thing. One problem will my install was that I did not have a choice, "express install" and "back" were my only two options, so I figured that I would change those setting once I settled into Win10. BTW, Kim says that if you revert back to you old Windows (7 or8), these sneaky changes will exist there now....

BTW, I found a universal driver for my Samsung 1710, but I have to go to different apps and change the settings since it now appears in my printer list as, "Samsung universal print driver 2". This included resetting all my printer settings in my Firefox browser, which is not intuitive (gotta go to about:config to do that). I found that I had a download of Quicken 2004, so I deleted 2001 and installed it, but I still couldn't select a printer for my checks. I deleted the installation, as well as the Quicken folder, and reinstalled 2004, and there it was, I can now print checks using the universal driver.... Applause Applause

I was within a few minutes of reverting back to Win7, but it now depends on what other programs won't work right before I decide. You have 30 days to opt to go back.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and