Freelance 2015-3
Street view was helpful to find out what Brooklyn businesses do to stay in their old brick buildings. I had luck and they did attach the new roller gates with frames to the front of the old walls. That saved the hassle to cut huge holes in the model.

[Image: IMG_4469_zpshaf09e5g.jpg]
Reinhard
Modern windows were added too.Sometimes custom built to fit in the original openings and sometimes just a window big enough to help with lighting the inside with the surrounding area framed with lumber and covered with plywood,or possibly bricked in with the same colour brick most likely a different shade though.

Some window openings were simply covered over and the company just relied on electric lights.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt, thanks for your recommendations.

[Image: IMG_4473_zpso5qhupxt.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4475_zpsmnje02v6.jpg]
Reinhard
What an amazing transformation - that changes the whole feeling of the area
Adding the small details (mainly weed and garbage) to get the scenery alive.

[Image: IMG_4480_zpsoaxwymlw.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4479_zpswkwgucwa.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4478_zpstv94hthy.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4477_zpssj3lewuw.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4476_zpsjspo97kx.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard,
You don't have to add weeds and greenery if you don't want to. I live in Brooklyn and actually drove through Bush Terminal yesterday. There's plenty of black dirt that will never grow anything as well as cobblestone streets with girder rail laid in it.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:Reinhard,
You don't have to add weeds and greenery if you don't want to. I live in Brooklyn and actually drove through Bush Terminal yesterday. There's plenty of black dirt that will never grow anything as well as cobblestone streets with girder rail laid in it.

Mike, I am happy to add some green. Green and junk is a wonderful coverage of my bricolage Wink
I used photos like this to estimate the amount of green in the yard and the condition of roads in the yard.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/picture...93.JPG.jpg
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco...corner.jpg
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco...dsouth.jpg

Looks that area very different today?
Reinhard
Reinhard,for my quarter's worth (inflation you know) I think your weeds are the perfect compliment to your excellent modeling. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
The last layout theme left a bunch of Bachmann 44 ton switcher shells at my disposal. One of them got reunited with the drive and found it's way back on the layout after an intensive visit in the mud.
The first alcohol based black wash had the well known white/bleach out effect on the yellow paint softened by the following water based back washes.

[Image: IMG_4483_zpsqgx9jwso.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4482_zps2etesosz.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4484_zpsyzkmtr6a.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard, nice effect. Is it also going to be labeled Terminal RR?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Cornerstone's Hardwood Furniture Factory might be a good fit replacing an all brick building.

[Image: IMG_4485_zpss9bdpg3b.jpg]
Reinhard
In the DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass - Jay St. Connecting RR), Sunset Park (NYD/NYCH/NYRR), and Williamsburg neighborhoods; Those loft buildings are mixed in with brick buildings. They are all still there mixed in with industrial, commercial, and residential.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike, I could identify a couple of similar buildings close to the shore line of Brooklyn. They are nice mix with all brick buildings and last not least this one is intended to have rail served loading bay at the back side.
I would like to label the yellow dwarf "Terminal RR" but I ran out of decals. The string "Terminal RR" belongs to Microscale #87-651 "Illinois Terminal Diesels".
Reinhard
Oh wow. I thought that you printed them on decal sheets. That makes a big difference. Cheers
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:Oh wow. I thought that you printed them on decal sheets. That makes a big difference. Cheers

I should do that. I had some nice small blank white and opaque decal sheets for my inkjet. But I moved to a laser printer last week and need different blank decal sheets. Unfortunate did I find expensive blank decals sheets suitable for laser printer in letter/DIN A4 size only. I need some smaller not to waste 95% of the expensive sheets and I need to be sure they fit my printer. A melting decal sheets kills a laser printer.
Reinhard