My Tern
I have wanted to build a "tern" ( Three Mast Schooner ) for a long time and...... the time has arrived.
While I still haven't decided on a name for this vessel, here She is. The fore cabin has yet to be constructed in these shots, the model is being scratch built, plank on frame, and the hull and deck are 1:87 scale 1" X 8" planks.
Her length at the waterline is 88'
Length on deck is 96'
Length over-all ( tip of bowsprit to end of main boom ) is 132'
Beam is 36'

A closer look at the detail:

A little more progress..... fore cabin built and in place, and........ Paint.

There's still all the deck details, masts and spars, and then comes the "tedium".... RIGGING

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
A couple of progress shots:
Masts stepped, with topmasts built and in place, Fore, main, and mizzen booms built.
With the 6-"cheeks", 6-Trestle trees, 9-Cross trees, and 3 mast caps, there were several hours of work there.
The Cargo Hatch covers are also in and painted. I still have to add the hatch cover lift rings.

Here, a close-up of the tops of the masts with all the above mentioned detail in place:

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Looks like you are taking a tern for the better! Icon_lol Sorry I couldn't resist. Nope Kidding aside it's looking great Pete! Applause
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Hey , he didn't just fall off the tern-ip wagon y'know Goldth Goldth .....nice model . We had the tall ships come to the Toronto area a couple of times and I was in awe of these majestic beauties and trying to imagine how they could sail the seas in such a small ship ( compared to what is out there today ) ....always wanted to model one , but now I get to watch you !!

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Very nicely done, Pete. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Great work, as always, Pete.

Teejay, It's scary when you realize what people used to travel across the oceans. Take a look at the replica of Henry Hudson's Half Moon. I've been on it and it's not much bigger than the average boat in a Marina.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:It's scary when you realize what people used to travel across the oceans. Take a look at the replica of Henry Hudson's Half Moon. I've been on it and it's not much bigger than the average boat in a Marina.

Wink It is when you finally do realize, what people used, to travel across the oceans in the age of sail, that you truly begin to appreciate what the Founding Fathers of this nation risked, to escape the religious persecution of Europe, and to establish this great nation.

One of the very first models I ever built was a sailing ship....in fact, a two mast schooner. That little block of wood, with its little "stick" spars, was all of maybe 4" in length, and, I think only I knew, Wink Icon_twisted that it was meant to be a schooner.
My love of the sea, and my knowledge of sailing craft has only grown, and keeps on growing, since those days.
It took , New York Central steam, working up the Croton river, out of Croton Falls, N.Y. to get me started in model railroading. The final step "over the edge" was watching a Long Island Railroad Steam loco, pull into Bridgehampton station, pulling a passenger train out from Babylon, on the way to Montauk. We had gone to the summer cottage on Noyac Bay, and my father had come out by train to joins us. We were waiting for him at Bridgehampton.
I guess it was also my love of the sea, that influenced my decision to enlist in the Navy, back in 1961. Yes, I do miss the "salt water". Lake Michigan is the closest thing to an ocean that I can regularly visit now.
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Looks like you are taking a tern for the better! Icon_lol Sorry I couldn't resist. Nope Kidding aside it's looking great Pete! Applause

I'll Cheers to that ! Goldth Goldth ...... however, it may be quite a while before I take another "tern". Wink 357 357

This is not a "tern" but I did spend a week, cruising the Maine coast in her. The two mast Schooner "Stephen Taber",
was christened and slipped into the waters of Hempstead Harbor in October 1871. I sailed in her, in 1968.    
Beautiful ship!
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Beautiful ship!
Yup ! She was, and still is!
10:00 AM ,Saturday, 8 September, 1969 was the start of a 6 day cruise on the Taber. We would anchor in a sheltered harbor each evening.
There was no electricity on board, all lights were either oil, or kerosene lamps. Hot water, for the morning shave?, was hand pumped through the galley stove, which was coal fired, and tightly rationed, as it was from the drinking water tank. The boat, that was carried astern, was our "outboard motor" Taber had no engine. Tuesday afternoon I had the privilege of taking the helm for our passage through the Deer Isle Thoroughfare. Was relieved later that afternoon, when we headed in to Pulpit Harbor, for our night mooring.
Yup! not only beautiful, but a joy to have been able to take the helm, and sail her.
While researching all the dates of the "cruise" I stumbled across an old announcement that the schooner "Mattie",
had her original name "Grace Bailey" restored..... guess that unless I find a name that I like better, I will use the name of the town I grew up in, "Copiague", which, according to what research I can do, is a "Merrick Indian word" for "sheltered Harbor".
Hey Wink it's "my tern", and my choice. Smile Smile
Hmmmmmmm...... I guess it's been a while......

Mizzen shrouds and mizzen topmast stays are rigged. Got a bit of the ironwork done, a lot more to do yet.
I got a "one lunger" ( single cylinder gas engine ) built, using the drawings on the Mattie's sheet, and just have a few more small details to add and the Yawl-boat will be ready for paint.

I have to figure out how to load the camera photos directly to the computer that has the photo processing software on it.
It thinks the disc I'm writing on my main PC, is someone Else's work !! Eek :o Curse , and won't let me save the processed photos back to the disc. Wallbang software Wallbang
Your puter's not taking a "tern" for the worst is it? Goldth So many puns so little time! Icon_lol
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Your puter's not taking a "tern" for the worst is it? Goldth So many puns so little time! Icon_lol

Nope The location of the software for my camera, so I can upload it to the "old Computer" is "locked up in the memory between my ears", and it looks like it will take an e"tern"ity, to find it !!! Icon_lol Icon_twisted 357
Crazy Icon_lol
Mike

Pete,

Great work! What's the reason for the stepped mast? And that schooner is a beautiful thing.

Andrew