2 6x1 foot ISLs
Thank you Jonte. Your kind words are very appreciated. Thumbsup
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Thanks Larry.

I thought the same thing about the Airlake Parkn operation. The only difference in my vision for operation is to use the two locomotives like Chuck Yungkurth.
One locomotive switches industries and sets up the other locomotive instead of locomotives on each end (tomato/tomatoe, potato/potato).
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:Thanks Larry.

I thought the same thing about the Airlake Parkn operation. The only difference in my vision for operation is to use the two locomotives like Chuck Yungkurth.
One locomotive switches industries and sets up the other locomotive instead of locomotives on each end (tomato/tomatoe, potato/potato).

Mike,Air Lake uses two SW1500s--that was the place I was trying to remember the name of. :oops: This operation was in MR maybe 10 years ago? The crew changes engines when they switch a facing industry siding.

I contacted Athearn some time back and suggested Progressive Rail scheme for their RTR SW1500.. I got the usual e-mail form letter thanking me yada,yada and more yada. I would gladly buy 2 PR SW1500s and model something similar to the Air Lake operation.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Here's "The Patch" track charts "patched" together from the ATSF CLIC 6/1/86. The three way switch in Jonte's image is just below Industrial "in" Mill.

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Andy,
The SW-1500s could be used for any ISL since they're lettered for Progressive Rail. They run the engines on each end of the train and switch industries accordingly. Unfortunately, my plans don't have long enough track to handle 3 car trains with an engine on each end.

The Patch has to be one of my top 10 favorite switching areas.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I like the 1st one very simple but allot of switching !!!! I would not worry about prototypes most of the time they are very disappointing !!!! I take things I see & like & put them together in MY RR !!!!! Maybe you can use a Bachmman S-4 or S-2 with sound really good runners & the 45 ton or 44 ton for the other switcher !!!! Remember it's what you like!!!!! Thumbsup
kamerad47 Wrote:I like the 1st one very simple but allot of switching !!!! I would worry about prototypes most of the time they are very disappointing !!!! I take things I see & like & put them together in MY RR !!!!! Maybe you can use a Bachmman S-4 or S-2 with sound really good runners & the 45 ton or 44 ton for the other switcher !!!! Remember it's what you like!!!!! Thumbsup

For a 6' ISL I would favor two GE 44 or 70 tonners and 40' cars.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I flipped the first plan to include one more industry. If you notice, I added folding down wings on the end so that the layout can be folded into a 3x1 foot carrier for easy storage and transport. I figure that even the smallest cars have a back seat 36 inches wide.

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

"Unfortunately, my plans don't have long enough track to handle 3 car trains with an engine on each end."

Would be if you were modeling in the NORMAL SCALE! Goldth
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Never!
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Tyson Rayles Wrote:"Unfortunately, my plans don't have long enough track to handle 3 car trains with an engine on each end."

Would be if you were modeling in the NORMAL SCALE! Goldth

Not to mention you can have more switching on that 1X6 footer in in the Normal Scale. :wink:
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I know. I just have so much HO stuff and I just like the challenge of small ISL design.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

The "N" stands for "nerd" right? LOL
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Ouch! Take them to the burn ward. Icon_lol

I just like HO Scale more.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike, what size turnouts are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris
England