2 6x1 foot ISLs
I too would suggest switching (no pun intended) to N for something this size, especially if want a runaround, but if you like designing tiny ISLs in HO, go for it.

I thought I read that Prograil added a runaround to Airlake Park, but I didn't see one last time I google-mapped it. Maybe just a rumor.
jcj380; the thing about using google maps or any other similar device is that you have to consider the approximate photo date which can be different from the watermarked copyright date. Just how frequently an area is photographed depends upon the particular country and also whether you are viewing a city scape or a countryside locale.

If you check in the tool bar at the top of the map page you can often find the date of the photo and may also be able to view previous photos which can show earlier features or developmental progress.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
jcj380 Wrote:I too would suggest switching (no pun intended) to N for something this size, especially if want a runaround, but if you like designing tiny ISLs in HO, go for it.

I thought I read that Prograil added a runaround to Airlake Park, but I didn't see one last time I google-mapped it. Maybe just a rumor.

I remember reading both members of the train crew was qualified engineers. I see no reason why PR should add a runaround in their tight area.. The system they use is simple. One engine does all the trailing point industry switching and then the crew changes engines and switches the facing point industries. Unless starting the second SW1500 takes more time then a time consuming runaround move?

There is a lot of steps needed to make a runaround move starting with setting the handbrakes on 2 or more cars depending the number of cars in a cut,uncouple,pull to the switch,unlock and line the switch,check the switch points,pull through the switch stop,close and lock the switch pull to the next switch stop,unlock and line the switch,check the points,pull ahead,stop,close and lock the switch,then reverse move to the cars couple,walk to the other end of the cut and release the handbrakes and walk back to the engine or ride the end car and protect the shove-if a shove is required.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
The way you describe it sure makes starting up the second engine sound like a quicker option.
I believe that they do something similar on the North-east Corridor to reduce mainline occupancy time.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:The way you describe it sure makes starting up the second engine sound like a quicker option.
I believe that they do something similar on the North-east Corridor to reduce mainline occupancy time.
Mark

Making a runaround move was faster when the railroads used a 4 man crew and caboose. You had a brakeman at both ends of the train. A lot of today's locals uses a locomotive on each end so there is no need for making a time consuming runaround move or the need to make a long reverse move out of a industrial lead back to the yard.

I fear these noisy cabooses will replace the few cabooses still in use..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:
Mr Fixit Wrote:The way you describe it sure makes starting up the second engine sound like a quicker option.
Mark

Making a runaround move was faster when the railroads used a 4 man crew and caboose. You had a brakeman at both ends of the train. A lot of today's locals uses a locomotive on each end so there is no need for making a time consuming runaround move or the need to make a long reverse move out of a industrial lead back to the yard.

I fear these noisy cabooses will replace the few cabooses still in use..

Runaround or no runaround?: The eternal question. Big Grin Wink
In the ISL I´m designing and building, I model a branchline, all the industry spurs face the same direction, but have put a long spur(staging or storage track) that if space allows will be a runaround.
This may interest you - although switching is quicker than I would do it - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://mmrrc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/operating-wetterau-food-services-micro.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+MicroModelRailroadCartel+(Micro+Model+Railroad+Cartel">http://mmrrc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/ope ... oad+Cartel</a><!-- m --> If you click on the <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://mmrrc.blogspot.co.uk/p/micro-model-railroad-track-plans.html">http://mmrrc.blogspot.co.uk/p/micro-mod ... plans.html</a><!-- m --> under the main heading, the first trackplan is the one for the video
Runaround or no runaround?: The eternal question.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I suspect the real question is "Is that runaround really needed?" and the answer may just depend on the era you model and other complications like what type of railroad and what type of industrial lead is being modeled. Wallbang :o

The majority of the conductors I worked with would avoid a runaround move unless that was the last industry that needed switched.

Their reasoning was simple.. We gotta come back this way so, why make all those moves?

Try this.. Place the engine in the middle od the train with a caboose on each end..You could switch both trailing and facing switches without a runaround.. We did that a lot on the PRR in the Columbus area because there may not be a runaround on a short industrial lead or the runaround was taken out of service due to a bad switch or track-a switch can be spiked closed when out of service..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

That's the beauty of model railroading. Choose the solution to a problem that you are happy with.

Chris, the turnouts are mostly Atlas 18 inch radius snap track, but the double slip turnouts are Peco SL-90/190.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:That's the beauty of model railroading. Choose the solution to a problem that you are happy with.

Chris, the turnouts are mostly Atlas 18 inch radius snap track, but the double slip turnouts are Peco SL-90/190.

Absolutely.. We can also simulate the bean counting department as well if we want to save money on switches. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Which circles back to the "to runaround or not to runaround" debate. Can't see doing one in my current limited space and I've seen several 1:1 BNSF locals with an engine at each end of 4-6 cars around here. (Think I have a video somewhere.)

Maybe I need at least one facing point spur to do gravity drops...
jcj380 Wrote:Which circles back to the "to runaround or not to runaround" debate. Can't see doing one in my current limited space and I've seen several 1:1 BNSF locals with an engine at each end of 4-6 cars around here. (Think I have a video somewhere.)

Maybe I need at least one facing point spur to do gravity drops...

Your comment remembers me that have to speed matching 2 Geep for switching with an engine at each end of the train. Smile
I've come to the conclusion after building countless layouts most for exhibition that a runaround adds more to a small layout that it distracts
I feel you need to make the most of the room I have available and a runaround takes the locomotive from one end of the layout and back again.
I model a Florida shortline operation and they have small runaround loops everywhere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris
England
Chis, My former Slate Creek ISL had a runaround and I used it more for holding cars out of the way while I switched industries then making runaround moves.. The new Slate Creek ISL will not have a runaround. I been thinking about PR's Air Lake operations and might use 2 GE 44 or 70 Tonners if I decide to add any facing point industries which as of now is doubtful.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

The main reason that I don't put runarounds in a lot of my track plan (and the one which I plan on building) is my obsession for cabooses and how I've become drawn to skanky delapidated shoving platform cabooses. I draw my plans as self contained switching operations - be it a short line, a terminal operation, or a stationed switcher for a larger railroad.

I really do believe that it's a matter of choice. Railroads in the real world adjust to the situation that they're in. As modelers, we can choose the features that we want in a railroad and design it accordingly.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.