say bye to st. Nic.
The last classic coal breaker, the largest one ever built, is coming down. The St. Nichols breaker in Mahanoy city PA. ,was once served by the Reading then Conrail , has missed it's chance to become a museum. I passed by it today and grabbed a few shots of it as it was being dismantled.

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I hope that they will be careful during demolition as that building would certainly contain asbestos in one or more of its many forms, and it doesnt take much for those microscopic fibres get into your body and to painfully kill you.
Just a head's up if any of you are planing any renovations, always check for asbestos as it was used in many building products prior to Y2K, and still is used in some countries with very red flags.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:I hope that they will be careful during demolition as that building would certainly contain asbestos in one or more of its many forms, and it doesnt take much for those microscopic fibres get into your body and to painfully kill you.
Just a head's up if any of you are planing any renovations, always check for asbestos as it was used in many building products prior to Y2K, and still is used in some countries with very red flags.
Mark

The coal dust will kill you just as quickly.
I wondered about that, but didnt mention it as I have no real knowledge on the subject.
Add coal dust to the dangerous dusts list then. Nope
Mark
Always a shame to see the symbols of America's industrial might torn down, usually to be replaced with the banal buildings of today and the ever-present parking lots.
My parking space at work is two levels underground, beside an under ground rain water storage system, with a synthetic soccer pitch and other sporting equipment above. 35
You have to do these things at a private school located on a major city road, with historic period buildings, near a historic monument.
To be quite honest, it is the more modern buildings on campus, which give me grief. Curse
Mark