Wiring switches for a dispatcher screen?
Hi guys,
I've decided to come to you all here on Big Blue for some more help. I've had excellent advice in the past, and I could sure use some now. Here is the problem I have. I'm in the process of building a double deck layout with areas of both single and double main track (running DCC of course). I've bought Tortoise by Circuitron switches and I'm running into a mental roadblock. I want to be able to wire up my switches so that I can look at a screen (much like Class 1 dispatchers) and 1) see what route my switch is lined, and 2) what track each train is occupying. I have numerous switches to install, and I have Switch-It (switch machine) decoders to go along with them, but I'm uncertain as to how to wire the switches. I know I can wire 2 switches to each Switch-It, and that I can use DCC accessory addresses to address each switch individually. How would I wire switches so that only my "dispatcher" can active them? Will I even need the Switch-It decoder machines or do I just attach the switches directly to the bus wires and then.....?

I'm not trying to sound like a prude or anything, I just want to be able to have my crews run their trains and not worry if they are lined up (hey if it's CTC, your go by signal indication after all). Secondly, the dispatcher (and only the dispatcher) should be able to throw the power switch (unless given authority to "hand operate", just like in the real world.)
I personally have never operated a train on someone else's layout, but I can't think it's much fun having to worry if each and every power switch is lined for your move, let alone when your train clears a power switch, that it's lined correctly for the next guy.
So here is what I'm trying to accomplish...

1) Dispatcher's can only line switches from a remote area someplace else on the layout.
2) A system (such as screen) that will allow the dispatcher confirmation as to the direction the switch is lined.

Any ideas or suggestions would help greatly. Wallbang
If you don't get any help here you can try these guys <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mrrelectronics/info">https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mrrelectronics/info</a><!-- m -->
They deal with all electronic items pertaining to model railroading. I am a group member but most everything is still way over my head. :mrgreen:
Charlie,

PS and if you join the group they appreciate it if you sign your posts.
I'm building a simple layout which onlly has 8 switches. But,like yourself,I want to know, on the panel,which way they're set. The switches are moved by servo's on mine,with a micro switch for changing the polarity of the frog. LED's are fitted to the panel. So I've fitted DPDT toggle switches, the centre poles go to earth and the switch controller and the LED's are wired over the outer poles. The earth wire is common. Now, when I move the switches on the track, a green LED shows for one route and a red or the other. No wires go to the layout other than the servo leads. Does that help you?

[Image: Switch%20wiring_zps9a5flelp.jpg]
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
Hi Charlie,
I'll have to check out the website when I get the chance. I didn't realize that having switches hooked up to a computer can be so complicated. I don't want to have to use toggle switches, but that might just be the way to go.
Thanks Smile
Hi Catweasel.
I'm going to have to do some research on servo's (mainly not sure if that's just a fancy type of toggle switch :?: ), and I don't need the polarity of my switches changed (I've got all dcc friendly frogs and no balloon tracks to worry about. However, I do like the idea of having LED's to notify me if a switch is normal or reversed. I REALLY like the idea of easy wiring. What brand of servo's are you using (I'd like to read more about them), and I need to know if they will work with the NCE Switch-it's that I've got.

I have never wired up a large layout before, and I really don't want to burn down my house! Wallbang

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Hi Buckykatt1. The servo's I'm using are Towerpro SG90 9G Micro servo's. Nothing fancy. I would think that the NCE Swithit would work OK. All my switches are live frog and I'm using a MegaPoints Controller,http://loolee.org/megapoints/prod_mp.html, for mine as I'm not using DCC for that. A cheap servo is all that's required. Does that help you?
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
[Image: Switch%20Wiring_zps3vbb2lvj.jpg]

Sorry mate. Made a mistake on wiring the switch for LED's. Correct diagram is posted now.