Tichy Flat cars for logging
Since I recently finished a new engine for my fictional Caribou Lumber Company I figured it was time to add some rolling stock in the form of a couple Tichy 40' flat cars.

[Image: DSCF5197_zpstczbznup.jpg]
I'm going to build them pretty much stock but I'll add some log bunks so they can be used as logging flats. I got the Idea from a few picture from the book 'Railroads in the Woods' Published in 1961
[Image: DSCF5196_zpskmj79r62.jpg]
[Image: DSCF5195_zps6jm3eyxm.jpg]
I took a look at the photos and the car do look a bit like the Tichy flat cars with a few exceptions so I figured I'd just wing it.
[Image: DSCF5199_zps9jwlg5rm.jpg]
I started with the decks and frames. A few years ago I built the Tichy steam crane and boom car. The boom car is derived from these flatcar kits with the same frames and brake details. I managed to build the boom car in a couple evenings so I figure I can do the same with the two flatcars. The deck is a flat piece with the end and side sills attached.
[Image: DSCF5200_zps5qaxkcao.jpg]
Then you add the coupler pockets and the bolsters. The center frames are also glued together and left to dry.
I should point out that I scraped and sanded the top of the deck so it will take weathering better later.
[Image: DSCF5201_zpsod8e5rkf.jpg]
I continued with the frame detailing this evening. The kit includes parts that are very small, like the brake levers and clevises. Tweezers are a must for these kits.
[Image: DSCF5204_zpsatsbakje.jpg]
I got the cross sills, brake levers and brake cylinder bracket installed. after the glue dries I'll add the brake cylinder and air line.
Tichy cars need dedication, but the end result is always good. Looking forward seeing the completed project.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Thanks Matt, These will be the fifth and sixth Tichy's that I've built. I also have their PFE reefer on the shelf.

A few days a bit more progress
[Image: DSCF5207_zpswmt1x8g1.jpg]
I added the brake cylinder and air line to each car, then installed the frame into the car. I also added the weight and the two main cross members.
[Image: DSCF5205_zpszunxoyda.jpg]
I also added the stake pockets, twelve per side, forty-eight in all. The tweezers were definitely a must again.
[Image: DSCF5206_zps6dedxlbp.jpg]
I also learned an important lesson, don't use 20-year-old micro weld that smells like pine sap. It doesn't cure very well and holds even worse. I ended up going out and getting new testors liquid cement and re-gluing a number of things. I'm pretty sure the glue stains on the side of the car will be hidden when the car is painted.
Great kits, and a great build project.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thanks,I finished the underside of the cars this afternoon.
[Image: DSCF5208_zpsnnbo5o1c.jpg]
I added the train airline and the brake rods as well as the 't' connector that goes from the air line to the brake cylinder.
[Image: DSCF5209_zpszfm13nrr.jpg]
The air line is threaded through molded-in holes and connects to divots in cross members. The kit has two curved plastic parts that take the air line through the center beams.
[Image: DSCF5210_zpss73g8kwl.jpg]
The brake rods are made from .010" brass rod. They're difficult to see in the photos but they are there.
[Image: DSCF5211_zps9rjvjlwm.jpg]
I snapped the coupler covers in temporarily before painting so no paint gets in the pockets.
I've got the two cars finished up to painting now

[Image: DSCF5217_zpshxautock.jpg]
The last things I added were the grabs and the brake gear. The kit includes both plastic and wire grab irons. I prefer the wires ones so I drilled out the molded in divots and glued them in. After I primered both cars, top and bottom.
[Image: DSCF5218_zpszujshasn.jpg]
After the primer dried I started to weather the decks. I used an A&I wash to stain the primered wood to make it look old and silvery-gray.
[Image: DSCF5219_zpsp6v9un8f.jpg]
Then I lightly sprayed some Polly-S dirt over to give a bit of wood color as well as dirty it up a bit. I'll leave it like this for now until I've painted the rest of the cars and added the log bunks.
Those are two very nice cars. I built two earlier this year and liked them too.
Reinhard
Those look like great kits. I built some of the Tichy wood ore cars, and I think those are the only Tichy kits I have built.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thanks guys. I do plan to build some of those ore cars, I like that they come in packs of two.
I painted the cars last night.
[Image: DSCF5224_zpsyhxjcxgi.jpg]
I painted them in Polly-S Boxcar red.
[Image: DSCF5223_zps0p5wq5ur.jpg]
I decided I won't add any decals to them since they are only being used on a logging line. The kits come with athearn Bettendorf trucks but I'll be switching them out for archbars instead. Next I'll start to fabricate the log bunks. From the photos, it look like they used the stake pockets to mount the bunks.
Those cars look great!

I'm not sure how much work they'd put into securing the logs. Stops could be nailed or bolted right to the deck as well as be inserted into the pockets.

Here's a picture of timber baron JR Booth near the end of his life (1924) inspecting the last train of salvaged "waney" (partly squared) timber to come out of Algonquin. The stakes appear to be birch or poplar trimmed to fit; they were probably wired together across the timber at the top.

Andrew
I finished off the flat cars this afternoon.
[Image: DSCF5239_zpsyandq8ly.jpg]
I made the log bunks out of some scale 6X8 lumber and the Keystone Cheese blocks. I dipped the cast metal cheese blocks into my Blacken-It solution and they came out brownish-tan oxidized. I don't know if this was a reaction to this particular metal but I liked the results.
[Image: DSCF5240_zpse5tdbj8x.jpg]
The bunks are permanently glued onto the decks with 2X4's glued into the stake pockets. Then I did a bit of weathering.
[Image: DSCF5241_zpsfoduicy3.jpg]
and finally on the layout with my MDC 2-8-0 and Kadee logging caboose.
[Image: DSCF5242_zps6xyfdwsl.jpg]
I would like to add the log loads to the cars but I'm not sure how to make convincing scale logs can anyone point me to a article on the subject?
Cuts from Lilac or old rose bushes make nice logs.

Dan M.
I thought I would give this thread a proper finish by showing the log loads I made.
[Image: DSCF6299_zps3mvzwjeq.jpg]
a fellow modeller was pruning some bushes and brought me these.
[Image: DSCF6300_zpsg3jqbxgk.jpg]
I used some chain from my parts box that looked reasonably small and them airbrushed a bit of roof brown over them to kill the shine.
Your models are looking good, very nice made!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.