Is there a database to seach by layout sizes?
Not necessarily track plans but a footXfoot imprint. I don't have a track plan but want ideas for the size of layout that I can fit a certain space.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
You know how much space you have....
You can figure your minimum radius curves....
You can choose what type layout you want....
( round and round /// point to point /// industrial switching /// prototype and what terrain it was in /// Steam era or Diesel /// etc. ), and then go from there.

or: You can google , Smarter.com/railroad layout plans.
It would be a start, at least.

Hope that helps.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
At estimate its 500-625sq ft mainly square shape.

Something like this seems like a step in the right direction (far as footprint goes) although its a 100-300sqft plan

[Image: Louisville%20%20Wadley%20RR%20and%20Wadl...n%20Ry.jpg]

don't give me that 'google' answer Icon_lol
Tom

Model Conrail

Looking at this E shape,

[Image: d68067b118c0cd80e0a33d18fcf7f40f.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

don't give me that 'google' answer Icon_lol

Icon_twisted GOOGLE..... GOOGLE..... GOOGLE.... Wink Wink Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Icon_lol OK, maybe not....... Cheers

Icon_twisted See, Confusedhock: I can find it myself ! Wink Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Silver spring mining plan looks nice

[Image: F0168059826F43E98EE7AB0C71073468.jpg?mw=180]
Tom

Model Conrail

Just make sure you claim all the space you can for the layout before said space becomes something else...... Big Grin
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:Just make sure you claim all the space you can for the layout before said space becomes something else...... Big Grin

It's something else already, Have to knock some walls down Icon_lol
Tom

Model Conrail

tomustang Wrote:It's something else already, Have to knock some walls down Icon_lol

Hmmmmmm off to fight the "Battle of Jericho", are we?..........and the walls come tumblin' down. Applause Wink 357
tomustang Wrote:Not necessarily track plans but a footXfoot imprint. I don't have a track plan but want ideas for the size of layout that I can fit a certain space.

Yes, there are numerous ones.

You can look them up by size and gauge o nth 'net, or you can find magazines containing literally hundreds of track plans by various sizes, or you can join MRR's site and scan their data bases.

Many of the track plans are "close enough" to fit your footprint with minimal alterations. Thumbsup
I'm starting to like these E shaped layouts

[Image: tp_lnloyallvarilla.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

MountainMan Wrote:
tomustang Wrote:Not necessarily track plans but a footXfoot imprint. I don't have a track plan but want ideas for the size of layout that I can fit a certain space.

Yes, there are numerous ones.

You can look them up by size and gauge o nth 'net, or you can find magazines containing literally hundreds of track plans by various sizes, or you can join MRR's site and scan their data bases.

Many of the track plans are "close enough" to fit your footprint with minimal alterations. Thumbsup

The problem is everyone is trying to sell a trackplan, all I want is a footprint so I can design my own trackplan Cheers
Tom

Model Conrail

When I built my bench work, I put it up before I had a track plan. I had a rough idea of what I wanted and knew the space that I had. All the bench work was then put together with the idea that I had to reach all the track. So the length of the reach of my arm became the yard stick that the track plan would evolve from. Some of the bench work was built further than I could reach to accommodate scenery beyond the tracks. Once it's in I don't have to touch it anymore unlike track that needs cleaning, and an 0-5-0 switcher to fix the hopefully not to often derailment. Hope this helps.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
tomustang Wrote:The problem is everyone is trying to sell a trackplan, all I want is a footprint so I can design my own trackplan Cheers

You know the size and shape of your room? Well, there's your footprint! Smile

Layout shape, however, is a totally different matter. Whether it be E-shaped, L-shaped, G-shaped, T-shaped, one or two peninsulas, double deck with helix or nolix, continuous run or point to point (or point to return loop, or continuous run with a return loop), it all comes down to what kind of layout you want. Also, it would be great if you could post a drawing of the area in question, complete with dimensions, doors, windows and other obstacles that cannot be (re-)moved. That drawing is part of your givens and would be nice to know. Druthers such as minimum radii will also have an impact on the shape of the framework, as it dictates the minimum width of any return loops or peninsula blobs.
Besides an entryway into the middle of the room, it's basically a large square with minimal obstruction and barely any need to get to the walls.

I will create my own benchwork but wanted some ideas of shapes for inspiration, but since there's limited databases on such specifics like foot/shape, I'll just keep looking at random images and upscale the size.

There will be a different thread for all the specs/details/questions/whathaveyou.
Tom

Model Conrail