Sliver Star Industrial Park
Started a new one for Glasgow next year. [Image: e8e2062ab478689af5e2375145fb7c83.jpg]

The plan is pinched from LM's LAJ layout but with an added industry just to ring the changes at an exhibition. The inspiration for it comes from the Silver Star Industrial Park NE of Orlando FL.
[Image: c2055429525c7039fcd784e135a54434.jpg]

Because I enjoy just shuffling around cars at exhibitions the layout will have three trains serving it
1) to the Coke-Cola plant, which consists of syrup tank cars that have to placed in the correct order.
2) to a steel fabricators
3) to an LPG siding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris
England
A switching layout that doesn't utilize boxcars, is this a first? I like the track plan, looking forward to this build.
Very clean and lean plan. I like it.
No boxcars........ the world is changing, I am getting old Confusedhock:
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Very clean and lean plan. I like it.
No boxcars........ the world is changing, I am getting old Confusedhock:

Ahaha! But this is a serious trend. It's been a long time since I saw a train pulling a majority of boxcars.

That said, the layout plan is excellent. That track running along a street and crossing it later will be very nice to model and operate. I once built a short lived module using the same general plan and loved its scenic qualities.

Best luck!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
looking good Chris, something different no box cars, now I know why you need all those tank cars.

Ray
I really like it, nice and compact, no frills and the lack of boxcars is interesting. I wonder if at one time the Bottling plant received other cars?

Keep us posted on your progress!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
I managed to look around the industrial part when we were over there in the summer.
We found only one boxcar but plenty of tank cars
[Image: 780835b65fdce1d58c3f22272e13a75f.jpg]

The steel industry is based on one further up the FCEN mainline towards Plymouth.
I could use an empty boxcar as the barrier wagon when switching then LPG siding
But was planing on using one of these
[Image: f4f3a2b2306fcb6ee09ecd078a82b085.jpg]

Here's an overview of the area

[Image: efef7d34a382baa9080d765d97581c23.jpg]

Chris
England
If you look from about 1:37 on this YouTube clip you'll see the area I want to model.
Bit of a special day for me, not only was it the first time I saw a real US loco (FCEN 55) and then my second (FCEN 7063) it was also my 50th birthday [emoji58][emoji58]

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/rtQ7HqFLpNM">http://youtu.be/rtQ7HqFLpNM</a><!-- m -->

[Image: 588782fb17f639e38876c30a6d6eefff.jpg]

Chris
England
That is an excellent video making it very clear what you are after. You picked an area that fits perfect in our European model railroader picture of Florida. Looking forward for your layout Thumbsup
Reinhard
Great layout Chris. If you flip the LPG and the steel company, you don't need to bolt on that extension. I love the layout as is though. I was actually thinking of doing just like your plan (but in loop form), but I love IPD bx cars too much.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike
I've updated the plan slightly
I've done away with the L shape part and added another blot on section

[Image: 0f7e2c6dd6d99ef76f2c885e2c7e998d.jpg]

Chris
England
Hi Chris,
I remember watching a YT video about Coca Cola bottling plant, and I think it may have been in Louisiana, and the interesting thing was that the unloading area for the corn syrup tank cars was actually a two track by two or three tank cars long annex building to the bottling plant with windows in between. It meant that the tank cars could be accessed safely [dry] in any weather and at any time of the day for staff and ingredient security. I remembered it clearly because I had read the MR article on a Corn Syrup transfer industry and so when I saw the tank cars inside at the CC plant I made a mental note of it as a potential modelling variation.
The name of the video was something like "How Coca Cola is made". There are several similar sorts of videos so it may take a little searching to find, but it could make for a very interesting cut away building on your layout.
Plus you can stick it to the nut and bolt counters who might say that tank cars are only unloaded outside. 35

Hope that this helps provide an interesting addition to your display layout.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Thanks Mark
The plant at Orlando only has one track but with three unloading so points as can be seen on this google map view
[Image: b85913e2534f9a05148a8f131676b15f.jpg]

I managed to get a few photos of the plant but it was pouring with rain and I mean pouring.
[Image: 3e55491d041e7f562ae10ff143185654.jpg]

What I like about the plant is (according to my source on the FCEN)
The corn syrup tank cars are switched 3 to 5 days a week based on need. We (FCEN)bring a handful of single cars to the plant as part of our Silver Star industrial park switching job, as CSX gives them to us.
The cars are pulled out of the plant, back to the loop and repositioned in the order Coke-Cola want.

The loop is seen here
[Image: fdee7799d8c3b85d101d2b65efb3602b.jpg]

The cars are pulled past these gates, sorted and pushed back in
[Image: 39733ba43d6113c8be28940dae4d3160.jpg]

The three unloading sheds look like this
[Image: 0eb35e53a073f1dd8bc628649aee7ea4.jpg]

[Image: 84435902c8321213e7dce9bb1dc69fd3.jpg]

Chris
England
Interesting how the unloading sheds are spaced almost a tank car length apart, so the cars have to be separated. ,

Quite tedious for real railroaders, but great for modellers, possibly a little less hassle if using a one person crew and a belt pack.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
I'd be happy to share hi-res photos of the Coke loading area, if you're interested. This is the highest-res I can get on the forum.

Plus some others...
I also refreshed an old post featuring two local billboards, in case you'd like to use them.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4095&p=157372#p157372">viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4095&p=157372#p157372</a><!-- l -->

Attached Files Image(s)