end of the spur
I've jumped the gun a bit, forgot about detailing the building before paint

any questions ask away.

Ray
found this video, seems to work for them and i'll only be using switchers Thumbsup
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XBzqMMjUo0">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XBzqMMjUo0</a><!-- m -->

Ray
All the buildings were painted before being fixed to the layout, while these were drying I painted the sky and installed the layout lighting, which is a strip of led lights (cool white),glued to a 30 degree angled batten (this will also hold the front fascia) I had allow for 2 strips ,but was really please how bright one strip worked out.
Bricks were weathered, down spouts fixed, roller doors made and fixed and some of the smaller detail added before fixing

below is a overall view of the layout with just the led lights, they work really well Thumbsup Applause

Next job was to scratch build the foot bridge from the car park into the building

You may have noticed a little black thing in those photos, it's one of the plant switchers, the owners of the plant are rail fans, so there group of restore switchers will do all plant switching (just an excuses to run some Alco's and early emd's)

That's it till after Christmas, back in the new year., All the best to everyone. Cheers

Ray
I loved that ISL when you documented the build process on RMweb and I still love it. The details and the variations of shapes make it an outstanding industry layout for me Applause
Merry Christmas
Reinhard
Great job Ray! I can't believe I missed this thread! The way you build large structure is bullet proof! I once built a few structures that way and never regretted it.

BTW, I'm curious how you fasten and assemble the posts supporting the valance. I'm actually building modules and would like to do something similar.

Best regards & Merry Christmas!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Matt, i'll try and explain the build.

Here you see the end plate ( as top of page 2) this is cut out of one piece of 9mm ply, the 2 hole are for dowels for ailment, there will be one at the top once I've finish.

to this is fixed a 35 x 18 mm piece of timber and a 6mm strip of ply along the top to add more strength, you can also see the access hole for the fiddle yard.

this forms the corner for the base to be fix to and also back boards, the little L shape at the bottom, is were the legs will slot in ( when finished)

the support for the fascia is screwed in between these end pieces, a L shape is made out of 35 x 18 mm and 38 x 12, which has a 30 degree angle planed on one side for the led lights

All this still needs painting, and a roof added to each board ,still on the "to do list", hope these photo's help understand how I built each board.

Ray
p.s disregarded the grass and things, you'll see that in the new year 35
Hi Ray, Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year.
Just one question; As the workers walk up and over the rail yard to the plant, how are they going to enter with no doorway in the wall cladding? Icon_lol
Thought I better mention it before it slips past and gets highlighted by a rivet counter at a show.
Top work though, following with great interest.
Mark Thumbsup
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
All will be revealed later!! Thumbsup

Ray
next up was to finalise the other detail locations

on roof tanks and safety platforms for covered hoppers

overhead crane for machine parts etc

substation

door for footbridge

ground level tanks

next job car park and paint those tanks

Ray
lajry Wrote:To any good RR time is money. Having two crews plus the cost of the 2nd loco is a very big waste of money!

Andy,Why would you need two crews when the local crew could simply swap out engines? The railroads found having a engine on both end of a local saves time and money.

In order to switch that industrial lead on the PRR our engine would be in the middle of the train with a cabin on both ends. There would be no need for making time consumming runaround moves.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
my original plan, was to use 70tonners, but the only one I have (was planning to buy a few more) developed cracked axles(3 out of the 4) this put me of, plus paint and getting decals , would start to eat into my budget, maybe some day.

i'll just have to do with watching the videos <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/TW4qd2-VBUQ/mqdefault.jpg">https://i.ytimg.com/vi/TW4qd2-VBUQ/mqdefault.jpg</a><!-- m -->.

so motive power will be pooled from (not set in stone) 2x 45 tonners 2x Alco s2 and 2 sw1200, these will rotate over the weekend of a exhibition.

I'm going to try Car card and waybills, if I can get my head around it, with the layout being a single industry and all I can find on the web seems to be for larger layout i'm not sure if it's going to work.

Ray
To bring you up to date.

footbridge painted and installed, car park finished, fencing finished, just some small tree to plant.

grass finished, all safety ladders done.

Ray

substation painted, fence added.

all tanks painted and installed

grass added

overhead crane painted and rusted up, fixed

all windows fixed.
That's us up to date, next job is front fascia's, and buildings etc weathered.

Ray
Ray,I must be going blind in my old age..I just notice the caged employee walkway over the tracks..Nice touch! Applause Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Holy smokes this came out fantastic, great job Applause