Planning quandary
So I'm in a bit of a quandary. I railfan CN Leithton Sub so I see 100+ car trains usually - CN, UP, BNSF, CSX, NS power. I live by the BNSF Racetrack and work a block from the UP triple track into Proviso. Problem is I have a 12 x 10-11 foot space for a layout and there's no way I can model the huge DPU'd trains I see daily. I can do locals since I really like switching but I'd still like to get a feel of the long trains running.

I had a smaller 9x10 donut which emphasized switching but when the larger space became available, I dismantled it.

Any suggestions from the collective mind on what to build? Model the main but only switch? Try to get enough staging to run an occasional longer train? Just do a shelf switcher? Do a "railfan layout" with just the mains?

I've got way too much invested in HO to switch to N and I don't want to do a multilevel layout.

Just pondering - any comments or ideas are welcome, including sell everything and just be a trackside foamer.

Thanks!
Do what makes you happy, because nobody else will do it for you.
I have a 9X13 donut that is mostly switching but has a connector for running laps for visitors. I model the 60s but when I feel the urge for something modern I hook up two 6 packs of Walthers coal gondolas, stick a couple of GP-38's on the front, and let 'er rip.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
I'll try to be a little help. I see the same type of trains you do, but I model what I remember while growing up. There is no reason you can't have a loop around the layout that you can run continuously, make it double track with a cross over on either end. The Loop does not have to be an O shape, it could be a dogbone or anything that type. Place several long sidings along the main with industries there to switch from the sidings which can be done while a pair of long trains can chase themselves around the loop while you are switching. Run the trains at a scale 25 MPH.
You have room for many small business places and even a small GERN facility to receive and ship traffic, just make sure you plan so you can reach everything.
Have fun, and if you need help there are some folks here that will try.
It is a lot friendlier posting if you sign your posts.
Merry Christmas.
Charlie
If you can do a full room sized donut run your long trains on the main but have some inside switching trackage too.Being in HO you may have to settle for smaller trains but even a 30 -50 car sized train is pretty impressive.put some buildings ,trees or hills in some places to separate main from switching trackage .

Just my imput, YMMV.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
You might try a double loop that gives you "surround staging". This allows for quite long trains to come on the scene, roll by, and then completely disappear. One of the best examples of this is Mike Hamer's Boston & Maine themed layout. It's about the same size as yours. More details here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ovar.ca/MemberLayouts.php?layout=MikeHamer">http://ovar.ca/MemberLayouts.php?layout=MikeHamer</a><!-- m -->

Andrew
You can get about 26 40' cars along the 12 foot wall. 13 80' cars. See how much you can see when you stand against the other wall -- the full length or a bit less? You can get the appearance of a long train if it extends past what you can actually see.
If you line up cars straight along all 4 walls you can get up to 95 40' cars. (no room for locos). Then you'll need curves which will deduct a few more.
So maybe build a high line with a good railfanning site (or two) on it and link in to a lower level layout where you can do a bit of switching.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.