Marlpost, Ontario
This is another mock up - it's the house that I grew up in. Big hedge (stand in is salvaged from Christmas display), and the big climbing tree.

The real house stands next to the CPR tracks heading north out of Orangeville. The model has them on the wrong side...

Andrew

Attached Files Image(s)

Next up is a view of the main street (Victoria Street of course). This is the west side, with the grocer, drug store, and department store across the tracks. Looks like the awning needs some work.

Andrew

Attached Files Image(s)

MasonJar Wrote:Next up is a view of the main street (Victoria Street of course). This is the west side, with the grocer, drug store, and department store across the tracks. Looks like the awning needs some work.

Andrew

No wonder the tracks are on the wrong side of the house and the awning isn't all that needs some work. Eek Is your layout set in an earthquake zone? Crazy Misngth Misngth

Wayne
Ottawa is in fact in an earthquake zone...

Attached Files Image(s)

MasonJar Wrote:Ottawa is in fact in an earthquake zone...

It just made my day!
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Looks like some of the towns I've lived in. Are you going to have a horrendous glass and aluminum bank branch?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Matt - glad you enjoyed that! Thumbsup

David - no aluminum & glass boxes. It's 1923-1939 on my layout. Wink

Andrew
How about a track plan?

Ok then... Wink

The modules are 2x6' and are joined in the middle of the run around track. In the picture, the upper module goes on the right, and the lower on the left. I am debating whether to have the elevator, freight shed, and coal dealer removable so they hide the joint somewhat, of whether that's more of a pain. These modules, although built to club standards, will not be moving anywhere soon.

Andrew

Attached Files Image(s)

Twist Wrote:Hi,
great start on your layout and very nice looking scenes. Thumbsup

Regards,Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks! I'm going for believable rather than strictly prototypical. I want viewers to feel like they know where it is, but can't quite put their finger on it... Wink

Andrew
So I had a friend over and we ran a couple of switching jobs to see how the operational aspect would work. Took about an hour for two jobs. Each was a three car (plus engine and caboose) and involved use of the run around. The train length is limited in the east by the length of clear track (3') and is more restricted in the west because the streets cannot be blocked for more than a few minutes.

I expect that some additional realism, in the form of speed restrictions, time at the water tank, operating turnouts, and so on will make "play time" a little longer.

Andrew
It's been a while but here are a few updates

1) experimenting with fall foliage from Michaels (red, yellow and orange sprigs in the back) and WS Fine Leaf Foliage in fall colours in the front.

2) soldering in feeders now that the track plan is finalized and cork and rails are glued down.

3) not pictured - my new to me Win 7 notebook with JMRI for programming and train control. I am also experimenting with WiThrottle lite for loco control.

Andrew

Attached Files Image(s)

Even though I haven't decided where this will go, I have begun assembling the building for Hamilton-Paice. I said earlier that it might go on its own module, but it could replace the cattle pens and have its own siding.

It's a 3 storey building with a loading dock inside for one car. This makes me think that perhaps it's a furniture factory. Such factories used to be in or near almost every town of reasonable size. The other possibilities are a foundry, a box and barrel maker, or some other "light" industry. There will also be docks for trucks to deliver or pick up.

Andrew

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice-looking industrial structure, Andrew. Is that a kit or made from Walthers' modular parts?

Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Thanks! I'm sure there are ties to Gern somehow. Depends on what it will be, although I'm leaning towards 3% comfier furniture thanks to the addition of 100% Gern Relaxo-flux.

It is indeed made of Walthers modulars, painted with "cinnamon" from a rattle can, and using Roberts mortar. The water tower is a separate kit, as are the fire escapes, vents, and fans that will be added.

I want to build a freight elevator with a wooden cage into one of the ground level doors. Spitfire had a fantastic example on her website, but unfortunately the website appears defunct... Sad

Andrew
I built a similar freight elevator for Bowyer's Brush Works, at Elfrida:

[Image: DSCF1773.jpg]

I based mine on a now defunct one in a furniture warehouse here in town, and my familiarity with a more modern (and much more heavy-duty one) at the steel mill where I worked.

Wayne