Fake / orphan spurs?
Anybody make use of fake spurs, i.e. a section of track with no connection(s) to the rest of the layout?

Since I have no room for staging on my temporary shelfie and my team track can't handle more cars, I'm thinking about adding a fake spur for car storage / display rather than store cars in boxes. And I'm too lazy to build staging cassettes. It would be on one side of the layout where I'll probably put a highway overpass or something to disguise falling off the edge of the world.

Lesson learned though - I definitely will plan ample staging when I start building the "permanent" ISL.
Makes a lot of sense for your circumstances ....I'm going with a variation on that idea on my small layout just to add further interest ......and mystery Goldth ...to the onlooker .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Many moons ago my oldest Brother-in-law and I displayed his portable 2' x 16' ISL at several train shows back in the 90s..

This layout had a dummy 3 track industrial holding yard in the front of the layout for displaying cars he had painted and decaled. Needless to say we used magnets for uncoupling and a 2 or 3"" tall Plexiglas protection wall along the front of the layout. This was covered with a concrete retaining wall sheeting..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Simple staging cassettes can be made by putting angles on a flat surface set to the track gauge. Do a search on this & other MR forums to find very simple ones to make & use.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
I have a fake spur on my layout, mostly to make sense of having a building adjacent to it. Not really for car storage, more to give me building and ballasting practise.
Not that I've actually built anything, but it is where I did my best ballasting...