Very Scary
Its 4:12 AM local time and just finished dealing with the police. At 2.30 I was woken by alarms going off in the yard and found a thief in the yard. Called police and it took him half an hour to arrive. Searched the yard but could not find any sign of any buildings being broken into. Will check more in the morning when its light out. I am still shaking and there is no way I am getting back to sleep for a while. Forty years ago you seldom heard of this but today you hear of at leased one every week. The world has become a vary scary place. Hoping you all stay safe.
Robert
Modeling the Canadian National prairie region in 1959.
I'm glad to hear that you're all right. Thumbsup

This is why everyone out here in the mountains where I am has at least one large dog. We've got four. 8-)
Even here in Bucyrus the nonviolent crime has gone up and so has gun sales and C&C permits. Even I have a C&C and keep a .357 magnum handy not that I would want to shot anybody but,I refuse to be a helpless victim. The reason crime has gone up here is drugs.

Four years ago you could leave your doors unlock without worry. Not any more.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
You've got it Larry , drugs , and the lack of winning the war against drugs is the problem. Losers need money from for their fix . Good that all is OK with Robert .
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
This product is meant for animals, but also happens to be effective against thieves, who generally would rather move on than get wet.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/ScareCrow-Motion-Activated-Animal-Repellent/dp/B000071NUS">http://www.amazon.com/ScareCrow-Motion- ... B000071NUS</a><!-- m -->
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:This product is meant for animals, but also happens to be effective against thieves, who generally would rather move on than get wet.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/ScareCrow-Motion-Activated-Animal-Repellent/dp/B000071NUS">http://www.amazon.com/ScareCrow-Motion- ... B000071NUS</a><!-- m -->

Unless they are surfies. Wallbang
Seriously though, thanks for the tip GEC, I had never seen such a product before, well not combined in that way.

You are right, no body likes getting cold and wet, except in really hot weather.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:This product is meant for animals, but also happens to be effective against thieves, who generally would rather move on than get wet.

I doubt that would stop many that's needs a fix -might even make them mad enough to do real damage once they break in.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Well, if a stun gun won't stop some druggies, than you can be sure that a dose of water won't either.

I've seen signs that warn, "due to the high cost and shortages of ammunition, we cannot afford to fire any warning shots". Then again, anyone stupid enough to try to break in a rob you, might not have paid attention in school and cannot read signs. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Brakie Wrote:

I doubt that would stop many that's needs a fix -might even make them mad enough to do real damage once they break in.

It won't stop someone who is determined, but (and I hate to say it), it may make them consider your neighbor's house instead. In reality, short of doing some borderline illegal things, there really isn't a whole lot you can do to stop someone who is determined to break in.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:....In reality, short of doing some borderline illegal things, there really isn't a whole lot you can do to stop someone who is determined to break in.

True. There was a case here about a week ago where a guy discovered someone, at night, trying to break into his truck, which was parked in his driveway. The details haven't been released, but a single blast from a shotgun ended the attempt. Luckily, the cops arrived in time to arrest the homeowner, who, unfortunately, has been charged with murder - after all, this is Canada, where we're supposed to passively stand by while low-lifes and losers assail us in various ways. Crazy

Wayne
Wasn't there a guy in California who tried to break into a school , fell through a skylight injuring himself , and successfully sued the school for not having a warning sign that the skylight would not support much weight ? Bad guys and their defence lawyers can get you the other way ! I'd rather shoot the burglar , hope that he stays alive Goldth
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
If your going to shoot them make sure they are dead! Otherwise they will lie in court to protect themselves. Swearing on the bible to tell the truth means nothing to a criminal. I no from experience, shot a home invader but did not kill him. I got arrested and charged with attempted murder. This happened in my living room. The home invader that was trying to kill me said it happened out side even though all the evidence to what happened was in the living room, shell casings, my blood and signs of a struggle. Dead ones can't lie to the cops or the courts.
Robert
I understand that in Canada a homeowner can detain an intruder using "any means necessary" until the police arrive. Obviously he is not allowed to use a gun or anything like that, the intruder could turn around and charge the homeowner with attempted murder. This is where owning a big hungry German Shepard is handy to have around.There is quite a few cases where the police have ordered an ambulance for the intruder after they have arrived.

Cheers
Mel
Having more fun with RailPro
Prairie Trains Wrote:If your going to shoot them make sure they are dead! Otherwise they will lie in court to protect themselves. Swearing on the bible to tell the truth means nothing to a criminal. I no from experience, shot a home invader but did not kill him. I got arrested and charged with attempted murder. This happened in my living room. The home invader that was trying to kill me said it happened out side even though all the evidence to what happened was in the living room, shell casings, my blood and signs of a struggle. Dead ones can't lie to the cops or the courts.

Here in the US you do have the right to protect yourself and in some states you have the right to protect your live stock by deadly force.

In my C&C class they teach you your lawful rights in using deadly force.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

As for having a dog in my area with all the city people buying acreages and having a pack of dogs that just room the country side. It is impossible to keep a dog home without tying it up, and that is of little use.

As for protecting live stock it is a risk to shoot a dog let alone a person. I came home one day to find the neighbors pack of Rottweilers with the cattle backed into the corner of one of the corals. They were tacking turns attacking them. I killed one and wounded one of the six dogs. I would have got them all but the gun jammed. They tried to have me charged but luckily it was the municipal police and not the RCMP (Rotten Corrupt Miserably Pricks) or I would have been charged.

In Canada the criminals have more rights than the victims. If you point a gun at a thief you will get charged with pointing a fire arm and what ever ells the RCMP can dream up. And they will probably let the criminals go. You guys in the US are so lucky to have the rights that you have, don't let them take them away.
Robert