Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Farther down the inside siding

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Repost of Mories Sand Company in Haleyville, NJ from September 1998

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Loading sand into a hopper at Hanson Aggregates, July 1, 2015.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice Catch there, Bruce.
Who says you need an expensive set up, no need for a switcher or a trackmobile, just a loader with a coupler on the rear, a dump bay for the conveyor and a siding.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Very cool "track mobile".
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Railnet Wrote:Very cool "track mobile".

A lot cheaper to model than a trackmobile too. Just find a suitably sized toy or model loader and add a coupler to the rear bumper and your in the sand business. 2285_

Of course the same sort or larger loader unit can be used for direct loading of coarse materials into hopper or gondola cars and be a perfectly legit practice. :hey:

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Was able to get some pics of the Winchester and Western switching the sand plant.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Mr Fixit Wrote:
Railnet Wrote:What a great looking background or edge of the layout industry that would be. Not much to build for infrastructure either.

I agree, but if you weathered the model as much as the prototype is weathered, then people would say you were over doing it. 35
Mark

Mark,I think that would depend on their knowledge of industries. I would be the very last to say thin metal industry buildings like those pictured would be over weathered.

I fully agree that is a perfect edge of the layout industry. Another modeling idea is that 0-4-0 "switcher" they use to move the cars.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Will have sand coming TO two bottle making plants on my layout so won't need all the "complicated" loading. There will only be a hole between the rail covered by a grate for unloading. Car movement will be by gravity & stopping by hand brakes on the cars but only pretending of course. >)
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler