ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud
I know this will have been covered by many guys before but my last layout I used Peco, locally bought in code 83. It was nice and looked fairly good once weathered.

This time though I see the local price has doubled and I cant pay the equivalent of $250 for 5 turnouts!!! I will rather look at importing form the states and getting code 70. The question is if Micro Engineering code 70 is still the most detailed/cost effective and best option for highly detailed layout. I've worked with N Scale code 83 so it wont be an issue to lay.

Whats the word on the code 70 turnouts from ME?
Quote:This time though I see the local price has doubled and I cant pay the equivalent of $250 for 5 turnouts!!!

Have you considered importing the Peco track directly from the UK?
Maybe from ehattons http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/100040...dlist.aspx
Thomas

[Image: 1280_6137653835326361.jpg]
Did a hybrid of my layout cross Faraways LHS of Freelance 2016-2 with the plastics plant.

My biggest fear is trying to get too much into a layout and it becomes unrealistic.

You should have a look at "end of the spur" from "long island jack". My plastic pellet plant was very much inspired ("stolen") from his great buildings. Have an eye on his ballast and ground work between the tracks.
http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=8612
Reinhard
Wow Reinhard, thanks for the link...what a great layout and just my style.

I played a bit and I could get a similar feel to it with a larger facility. Offloading of tank car at the rear track, loading boxcars at spots one and 2 of the main building and then hoppers offloading or loading on the bottom track:

Based on this just less one track so only one hopper spur:

Re: end of the spur

Post by shortliner

This is just to let you know that Long Island Jack is coping with a family problem at the moment and may not be able to answer your post for a couple of days - meanwhile here is a photo

Thanks for the photo.

been snooping around on google maps and looking at the Riceland facilities. I'd never be able to realistically fit one of their massive facilities in this layout but I could try make it work. I like the hoppers for rice coming in and boxcars going out. Could even have a spur for tank cars as I see them in the facility, most likely for the soya element of their production.

I'm not sure if I want to model such a big facility but it has given me a chance to play around with other track layouts:

IND 1 (Riceland)
• Back spur – Box Cars – 2 spots plus space to store cars
• Middle spur – Hoppers – One spot with offloading grids with something like “end of spur” equipped setup but just one track but with space for more hoppers awaiting offloading.
• Front spur – Tank Cars – Oils loading, one spot for loading and one more for spare.
I could even have switching sessions where I only move cars around at Riceland, even have a much smaller loco specifically for these jobs like the one seen on google that you pointed out. My GP40 or GP60 can bring cars full onto the layout and remove the out bounds than another session would be moving internal stuff within Riceland….sound feasible?

IND 2 (Cotton or other type of “food processor”)
• Spot 2 – Tank car of oils – This could work well as they could take a full tank car from Riceland (nit if a cotton ind) when switching which is one less car to bring onto the layout and will add awesome switching.
• Spot 1 – Box cars/Reefer – Could also even take a car from Riceland but not needed.

IND 3 (Transload or Furnature)
• Spot 1 – Bulkheads with timber for forklift removal
• Spot 2 – Box cars for materials in or finished product out.
I need to look at the SSW clients and see if I can hind a customer that fits the profile…
Food for thought. I would go with all Riceland Industries and have a plant switcher. Industry 3 could become Riceland Plant #2.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Agreed Brakie,

I was thinking fo a plant switcher> I could run two different jobs, one bringing in cars (GP40-2)from the branchline and placing them at the industries then also have a small sw1500 for moving cars around at each site... Two different types of ops sessions that would be fun.

Liking this design too....

I just don't want to crowd the layout and afraid my "riceland"version does have a lot of turnouts and track in a very small space.
I use to operate on a RR (http://www.cmrailroad.com/index.html) that had a run called the GRIND - Grand Rapids INdusterial Disrt. At only 18" deep and about the same length as yours it was one of the best runs to get . I really see quiet a bit if similarities to your ideas and this http://www.cmrailroad.com/images/DSC_2848.JPG

With a 6-8 car train it would take 45 minutes to an hour (real time) to work it and that wasn't trying to go slow or have any through trains to slow things down.

One thing I noticed on the larger layouts I have been fortunate to operate on on, unless you are running a sweeper train, most towns/ industry runs are just like you idea, just connected to together . You leave the yard and head to your town, work your town and head back, just like yours but with a short amount of travel time back and forth. I think you have a solid idea and just need to move forward with it.

I really liked you old layout and am looking forward to seeing this one as it goes

Steve
Modleing the Jefferson Branch in HO  on the Southern Pacific
Thanks for the comments Steve, Ill go have a look at those links now...

Already realizing I want to get back to basics, the Alcanman and Lance M designs seem too simple but they aren't...I'm a modeler more than a model railroader so I need to keep it simple and make space to model silos, scenic areas, fences and ROW details.

This prototype inspires me:

And it would work well on this:

IND 1 - Any industry taking hoppers and tank cars and boxcars
• Rear track – spot 1 & 2 for Boxcars – spot 3 for a tank car
• Front track for hoppers With this it could be a chemical, plastics or fertilizer plant, even bakery, easy to model with a few magic pan kits!! – Could fit some plastics hoppers in there too, have space.

IND 2 – Simple semi-served industry that only has a reefer or box car every once in a while and only for a short period. Chances of having to pull to spot would be low but can add an element.

IND 3 – Timber/Transload or similar, needs to have a type of car that is different to all the other industries.
Yet another option...still keeping the track simple though... Now thinking of how to add scenes and more interest to the still layout...

Fiddled a bit more…IND 1 needs a lot of silos to break up its mass…added a fence too...

Added a road for a bit of operational and added scene…I would join the two IND 1 buildings with an overhead walkway, nice feature.
I could have a gravel area off the road towards the yellow building at the front of the layout too that could have some trucks and equip on.

alcanman Wrote:Hi Callum.

Your track plan looks very similar to a design in one Lance M's books. Do I collect 10 points? 357

I like the simplicity of this plan and I did use it as the basis of my Deerfield Beach layout ( well spotted Jacques) . I simply add an additional spur

I agree that plan 2 is best and also avoid having large structures at the front of the layout they can get in the way.

I've been looking back at your old layout which was inspirational when I started building ISLs

Good luck with the new project.

Mal

Mal thanks and yes you get the ten points...delayed response from me gets you 5 more points. I used a lot of license from your Deefield Beach as well. Love your layout and your videos. I can't wait to get more uploaded one day from this layout on my youtube. I still watch my old videos over and over.