ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud
If you go with a road in between your industries I would also keep the (enclosed) walkway, it'll help conceal a photo backdrop of a continued road.
Rscott417 Wrote:If you go with a road in between your industries I would also keep the (enclosed) walkway, it'll help conceal a photo backdrop of a continued road.

That's exactly my thinking on that Rscott417. So hard to get a merged image to work on all angles so a bridge would help and hide the issue better than none. It wold be a simple grade crossing that would need to be flared of flagged, I still need to look into that further as to what would be prototypical byt I def wont do huge overhead lights etc, its not a major road, rather an internal factory access like so....

Or even simpler

As stated it also opens the possibility of an open gravel area next to the runaround that could be for a very seldom used team track or offloading spot like this.

Thanks Lance M Thumbsup
I personally wouldn't add any crossing signals. They have led's you can place in the road to simulate lit road flares but other than that, cross bucks and a flagman will do the trick
Agreed Rscott417... LM has an example in one for his books or I saw it online...Will go well with this variation too...

Nice work, looks like south Florida! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Repost for Ray - click on photo to enlarge

Have any of you guys seen this pdf...I found it very useful and especially for someone needing ifo on rolling stock...http://www.rrmergers.com/wp-content/uplo...dities.pdf

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Nice work, looks like south Florida! Thumbsup

I agree.. After looking at that photo I had to go get a drink of water. Never seen a model photo look so hot and dry that I could almost feel the heat.

As far as crossing signals I would used them if I was modeling a major route like (say) the Dixie Highway.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
It doesnt take much to imagine the heat and reflective glare from that gravel lot on a hot day.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:It doesnt take much to imagine the heat and reflective glare from that gravel lot on a hot day.
Mark

That photo looks like those bright and sweltering afternoons I recall when I lived in Largo back in '93. Beautiful state but, to hot for this Yankee.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

As you can see I’ve done a complete return to the original plan…suppose LM has been at this long enough to know what works and I just like the simplicity and it has a good feel, not busy.

Industries are getting pinned down to:
1. Trujillo and Sons or similar
a. 2 Boxcar spots, one shared with a Reefer on occasion
b. Tank spot for oils etc
2. JB Vineer (Named after my son and daughter Joel and Isabella – credits to Ed Vasser for the idea)
a. Lumber offload in the yard off Centerbeams or Bulkheads
b. Boxcar spot for loading finished veneer. Might be able to take an empty from Trujillo and spot it there for loading sometimes.
3. Brown Industry
a. Not sure what to put here. Definitely something with large and small silos that will have hoppers for food type products and another spot for a different type of car, either box or tank.
Any Suggestions?

Feels like this is achievable and will give me space to model scenic elements which I want.

It will be modeled around 1995-2005 using my UP/SSW Loco or similar...Freelance so its not area specific... Need to run this color scheme again

...and the prototype

a. Not sure what to put here. Definitely something with large and small silos that will have hoppers for food type products and another spot for a different type of car, either box or tank.
Any Suggestions?
-------------------------------------------------------------

Two comes to mind.

Keebler or Nabisco.

Inbound Sugar, flour, food coloring corn starch, cardboard.

Outbound: Empties.

As a odd inbound load a large industrial oven or a outbound gon of scrap metal from a old oven.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Fiddled a bit and added a road for a grade crossing....remembering that the road on the right is a scenic block and will be a bridge above the track and JB facility.

Let me know if you can see any issues with this. I'd like to pull a maximum of 5 cars onto the layout at a time, mostly 4 sometimes 3 but dont want the road to shorten the train on the runaround.

plan looks ok, i would maybe angle the road, also would make JB Vineer and the top non rail served building larger and use them as scenic breaks, so the train enters between the buildings (like an alley),i'm not a lover of bridges as scenic breaks, that road end hanging in mid air just doesn't look right, these are just suggestion, better getting a plan your happy with before you stat the build, will save you time later.
I'm glad you've returned to your original plan - it looks spacious and not too overcrowded. I agree with Ray (Long Island Jack), I prefer an urban canyon/alley as a scenic break which I've used on most of my layouts.

Your plan has really got me thinking ... Maybe Deerfield Beach Mark 2!

Mal
Layout videos - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1">http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1</a><!-- m -->

New Westbrook <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888</a><!-- l -->