ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud
Thanks for the comments Ray and Mal... I agree with them both. Had a chance to adjust things a little and come up with these...

This one seems best. Graded crossing coming into the layout rather than in it. Imstill not sure if I preferthe spur coming more straight off the line for JB or with the curves?

Not sure I like the road crossing at the beginning of the train run... It seems to cut JB Vineer into a building that's not realistic. I think so far the one I like the most is this.

Attached Files Image(s)

alcanman Wrote:I.... I agree with Ray (Long Island Jack), I prefer an urban canyon/alley as a scenic break which I've used on most of my layouts. ....

I agree with you both. An urban canyon is a great scenic enrichment. My problem is the optical and physical blocking when coupling and uncoupling sitting in front of may layout. The layout about 80cm/31" high and my chair 50cm/20". It is no problem to operate the layout standing up but that is not my preferred position.

Another question might be the length of a blocking structure. May be 25cm/10" is much easier to handle than a meter/yard. How long are your blocking elements?

May be you photos from your usual operating position looking at or down to your layout?

How do you operate your layouts?
Reinhard
Okay so with help from Ed (FCIN), Ray and Mel I think I am really getting close. definitely don't want the busy track arrangement I had at one stage, this will be the final or close to the final result. No more turnouts, same industries with just some tweeks. Going to order track next month and then I'll build the shelf while I wait for that to come.

Ed helped with scale rolling stock templates that allowed me to spot a car at each industry which made it clear I can have 2 boxcar spots at the rear industry (Trujillo or similar). Far more prototypical and will add to the sessions switching. The yellow reefer spot will rarely be occupied.

Als storage space for an extra hopper or any car between the runaround and Tank car spot.

Your plan has got me thinking as it's similar to my old Deerfield Beach, FL. Just wondering how you propose to to switch the industries.

I presume the train would be blocked with cars for JB next to the loco for that industry to be switched first? After switching JB the the loco could run around and switch the other 2 industry spurs.

This may seem an obvious solution but it would be interesting to know if it's the most protoypical.

Mal
Layout videos - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1">http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1</a><!-- m -->

New Westbrook <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888</a><!-- l -->
Exactly right Mal and as far as I know and the information o have from past rail employees is that is quite prototypical. Would have the JB cars after the loco and cut off on the"main". Then put and place at JB and return the outbound a to the main but not connect them to the remaining cars for inbound at the other industries. Would run around and pull and shove the rear industries and return the outbound a to the main and hook up EVERTHING for departure.

At least that's what I have been told.
Exactly right Mal and as far as I know and the information o have from past rail employees is that is quite prototypical. Would have the JB cars after the loco and cut off on the"main". Then put and place at JB and return the outbound a to the main but not connect them to the remaining cars for inbound at the other industries. Would run around and pull and shove the rear industries and return the outbound a to the main and hook up EVERTHING for departure.

At least that's what I have been told.
Mal,If I may.. It wouldn't matter where the JB cars was blocked in the train-its never that simple because of the other pickups we made before reaching JB.. Of course, if we had the time( that depended on the DS whims) we would rearrange our train back into working order at a small outlaying yard if it was a long local but,for a short 12 cars or less local why bother doing the extra work?
We would switch JB first and then make the runaround and switch the other industries.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Thanks guys. Your info is very helpful. I now realise that the run around on Deerfield Beach was too short.

Mal
Layout videos - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1">http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1</a><!-- m -->

New Westbrook <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888</a><!-- l -->

like this plan ,simple, less is more, couple of things you may consider is, getting rid of the dog leg/S curve as the train enters the layout from fiddle yard, long cars may not like those S's, a piece of straight would be better especially when switching, I would also take the dog leg out of the jb building and run it parallel to the track

Look forward to the build

Ray
Hi Ray,

I agree that it looks a little odd. I have to have some form of "s" or the train will have the be staged on a curve, at least for the locomotive. I have put a 6 inch straight section in that will alleviate any issues for the longer rolling stock, mostly though I wont run long cars where possible and I believe in weighting your rolling stock as well, they don't behave like the real thing unless they are heavy.

maybe a larger fiddle shelf (6") would allow you to bring the track further away from the wall, which would do away with those S's
SSWUPinSA Wrote:Hi Ray,

I agree that it looks a little odd. I have to have some form of "s" or the train will have the be staged on a curve, at least for the locomotive. I have put a 6 inch straight section in that will alleviate any issues for the longer rolling stock, mostly though I wont run long cars where possible and I believe in weighting your rolling stock as well, they don't behave like the real thing unless they are heavy.

I wouldn't worry about the "S" curve since its a gentle sweeping "S"-I've had much worst on 4 and 6 foot ISLs and had no issues with "snap switch" crossovers-not recommended for cars longer then 50' or those that like to switch cars at Mach 5 due to the horrible "S" curve.

I like your ISL design..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Other option is an internal box car spot for JBV. It make the building shape appear more realistic.

Id like to model the inside of the facility as well with boxcar spot in it. I think it would make a cool feature as you walk into the room as you would be looking into the JBV offloading/loading dock and facility.