Windows 10 help
I had to move into Win 10, and I am getting it figured out, but I have a question about search.
With XP I could click on a folder and click search, which brought up the little dog. I could then use advanced options to search that folder and all subfolders for a date, ie 0520 and it would find all filenames (pictures) with 0520 in the filename ie 19790520. With win 10 I do not find all these files files even though I know they are there. I name my pictures thus 20160521 NW 9595 11V EPO which the first section is the date, road name, unit number, train symbol, and location. With Xp I could search for any of these terms and get results that were correct.
I have tried all the Geek tricks listed on the web and it just does not do the job. If I can't search my files like I did with XP I will quit posting pictures in the photography gam or the old picture of the day because I just don't have the time to search through over 100 thousand pictures I have taken over the years. I think I found a program that works <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.goffconcepts.com/products/filesearchex/download.html">https://www.goffconcepts.com/products/f ... nload.html</a><!-- m --> I just tried it twice but it fins things and fast. I will update if it does not work It is working without buying, but for 10 bucks I will buy a license if it does the job.
Charlie
The old folders I had on XP are now under Other Bookmarks that will be on your top tool bar . Within the Other Bookmarks you can create new folders and sub folders to your liking . I have 11 items under " other bookmarks " but when I click on to it and then lay the cursor onto one of the 11 basic topics it will expand to the numerous other files AND folders I have within that topic .

As for pictures , be it some image you have saved from the internet or pics you have downloaded from your camera , they will be over in Recycle Bin .Just click on to R.B. and if you see the left column on the screen it will show " Downloads" and thats where any saved images from internet will be . You can then create separate folders for the various types of pics .
If you download pics from your camera they will end up in " PIctures " in the Recycle Bin with the date of the file as to when those pics were taken . You can simply rename that picture file to your choice . Pictures can be dragged around to different files if you choose by clicking and holding the pic and dragging it into the new file you have created . You will see a " New Folder " option at the top of the screen when you are in the " Downloads " .

There was , of course , a time of learning all this stuff but I really like it , especially for my thousands of pictures . You can edit the pics while they are in the folder ....no need for a picture edit program .
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Thanks for the reply TeeJay, but I don't have any trouble finding the pictures in folders, but I needed to be able to search file names in 198 folders containing 46,937 pictures with one search The program I found works great so that is out of the way for now, and the Adobe Photo Downloader that is in Photoshop Elements allows me to rename the pictures as they are downloaded and place where I want them. I did however lose 12 pictures today downloading, but found them in a folder that windows automatically made for them because they were yesterdays pictures. That is the kind of stuff I don't like, I wanted them in today's folder and it took a while to find them (by accident) Thumbsup
Charlie
on a learning curve that is coming to a declining point...
I've gone through several computers in my days, and have found Windows 7 to be the best OS around. It's straightforward, no frills, no thrills, and gets the job done.
A few years back I was gifted a new computer (this one) that came with Windows 8...It was a horror..!! After a couple of weeks trying to get the hang of it, I gave up and took the 'puter to a local computer sales/service shop and had them install W-7. Best decision I've ever made...

Gus
Gus (LC&P).
Having run this win 10 for several days now, and finding the programs that make it work like the classic XP, I have decided I really like it, mainly because of the speed. It is very fast and starts and shuts down almost instantly. The search engine was my biggest complaint and that was solved with a program from a third party. The windows anti virus works great too. I plugged an old hard drive in yesterday and it immediately found malware. I'm happy now. I have another computer that came with 7 and I took it out and bought XP for it. I am going to put 7 on it and go to ten there too, as a dual boot system so my wife can move into 10 slowly.
Good analogy with the XP connection . I loved XP but it was pretty slow compared to Win 10 now . I hated Win 8 too , but couldn't find Win 7 at that time and grudgingly put up with it .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.