Two tricky things about Win 10 & MS
Just in case you haven't updated to Windows 10, I understand that Microsoft (MS) is sending out popups that show you a date and time it will automatically update your computer to Windows 10. It appears you have but two choices, "update now", or "OK". They say that if you click on either one, you will get updated either right away, or at the chosen time. If you don't want to upgrade, there is another less obvious link in that message that will allow you to change to update time, and I understand you can choose "never" as an option. The advice is that if it starts the upgrade, don't stop it, just wait until it finishes and then roll it back to 7 or 8.

I've upgraded months ago and I'm happy with it.... Not happy with MS though. I needed to update my Weather Channel desktop app, and normally I could just update at Download.com, CNET or automatically at the Weather Channel site. This time it instructs me to go to the MS store and download it. I tried, but I have to log in and so I was forced to register an account. Big mistake. Curse Once you open an account with MS, you are committed to that for everything MS.One account fits all, so they say. Nope Now, I'm the only one that uses my computer, so I don't need a password to log on when it wakes up, that is until I now find I have to use my MS account email address and password to log onto my computer. I forgot what password I used, and I couldn't find it until I logged on with the correct password. After about 42 attempts, I finally guessed right, and went to MS and canceled the account. That made no difference, and now I couldn't make any changes to either the email address or password I used since it was no longer a valid account according to MS. Apparently, MS made the change, but neglected to tell my computer. After battling this for a while, I finally was able to do a "restore" back a few days, and things went back to normal. A real scare since MS forced me to use a password on startup and after a sleep, just like they're forcing people to upgrade to Windows 10 by tricking them.

Oh, BTW, my Weather Channel desktop app never did update, and it won't run the way it is. So much for that. Wallbang

Just a warning, MS can paint you into a corner and you won't see it coming.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Don,Thanks for the heads up on Win10..

I installed Win10 and had way to many issues so, my son removed it. I checked "never" on a unwanted pop up and set Microsoft a strongly worded e-mail about there junky Win 10 and their pop up..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Yeah, the only reason I brought this up was to show that there are more ways that MS will unwittingly cause you to do things that you have no intention of doing. Some will upgrade to Win 10 and not realize what's happened and why. I had no idea that opening an account with MS would cause me to now have to log into my computer with an email address and password without even asking if that's what I want. I would suspect that there's a lot of other conditions where we provide information and get things on our computer changed without us knowing. I looked at my Google history and found where I did searches about 14 years ago that I forgot about a long time ago, but Google didn't...... They've recorded every search I've made since then. Curse
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don,There's a persistent rumor going around that Win10 is full of spyware that compromises security and privacy. There's several you tube videos on that subject and how to disable it.

IMHO its bad enough dealing with every day spyware (tracking cookies) without MS adding to it.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
How to disable passwords on Windows 10:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-disable-login-screen-on-win-10.165/">http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/ ... in-10.165/</a><!-- m -->
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I was able to disable the need for a password through the power setting in "control Panel", when my machine came back from a sleep, but I still needed to enter one when it booted up. That's when I did my restore and got rid of having to do that.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Oh, BTW, when I disabled the need for a password on wakeup, I also got rid of the "Lock Screen". I kind of got use to those pictures that MS forced on me, but then having to click to remove it and click again to "sign in" wasn't my way of starting up.

Oh, and I got a popup yesterday telling me that I was missing some data in my MS account. What! I no longer have an account, remember MS, you let me walk away from it and now it's disabled, so how could I possibly add info to that account? 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and