The Royal Train (1939)
Hi all.
I am thinking of getting Rapido's (blue) Royal Hudson when the date is announced. I am having a hard time finding out about the rest of the consist of that train. It is probably just because I am asking the wrong question of Google, however, if someone could point me in the direction of such info, it would be greatly appreciated. 219
Thanks
Brent
Hi Brent---hope this helps

The cars of the Royal Train were decorated in royal blue with a car-length band of aluminum running across the window area. The aluminum panels were applied in diamond-shaped designs to flash more brilliantly in the sun. Above and below the windows were thin gold bands running the length of each car. The last two cars, where the King and Queen stayed, carried the royal coat of arms in the center under the windows. Each car featured a radio and telephone. The six Canadian National cars were prepared at their Point St. Charles shops. The six Canadian Pacific cars were prepared at their Angus shops. All but the last two cars of the train carried the royal cypher and crown centered below their window lines and a royal crown at each end of the blue stripe above the window line.

CP End Door Baggage Car 4473. Contained a small Bellis & Morcom vertical steam engine driving a 75KW 40 to 75 volt generator to supply the train with electricity. This was powered by steam from the locomotive. Also contained a set of six floodlights to illuminate the train and its surroundings at night.

CP Baggage Sleeper 4484. Contained refrigerated food storage and a telephone PBX switchboard to connect the train with telephone service at various stops. Also contained a steam pressing table, ironing board and storage for uniforms and linens. The car also provided sleeping quarters for some of the train's staff.

CN Dining Car 1330 -- the latest type put into service -- with seating for 40.

CP 8-Section-4-Bedroom Sleeping Car VICEROY -- provided sleeping quarters for several Canadian Mounties, plus a barber shop.

CP 14-Chambrette Car GRAND PRE -- held the Train Office and provided sleeping accommodations for several officials. The car now resides at the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel in Cranbrook, B.C and may eventually be restored to its Royal Train livery.

CN Business Car 99. Used by the Lord-in-Waiting and the Lord Chamberlain.

CN 6-Compartment Lounge Car ATLANTIC 1196 used by other members of the royal party.

CP Private Car WENTWORTH was used by the Prime Minister and his staff. Currently in service as the "Royal Wentworth" with the Royal Canadian Pacific Tour Train out of Calgary.

CN 6-Compartment Lounge Car PACIFIC 1197 used by other members of the royal party.

CP 14-Chambrette Car GRAND MANAN. Provided accommodations for the personal servants of Their Majesties.

CN Governor General's Car #2. This car featured a large sitting room, and, ahead of that, a dining room with seating for 12. The car carried the royal coat of arms centered below the windows. Preserved at the Canada Technology and Science Museum in Ottawa, ON.

CN Governor General's Car #1 - Open end observation car. Contained two bedroom suites for the King and Queen, a sitting room overlooking the rear platform, and two bedrooms for members of the royal staff. The car carried the royal coat of arms centered below the windows. The royal couple only left the train overnight in four places during the tour -- Ottawa, the Rocky Mountain resorts of Banff and Jasper, and Victoria, BC. Preserved at the Canada Technology and Science Museum in Ottawa, ON.

Thanks for the great reply CN NUTBAR, and sorry for the delay in responding. I got hit with the flu and was knocked flat for a week. Haven't been sick in over twenty years so I guess it was my turn.

I will have to track down exactly the cars that I will be looking for and start picking them up if any manufacturers have made them. Any help in that area will be greatly appreciated.
I have seen one colour photo of the train and the quality of the pic wasn't great. I think trying to recreate the diamond panels could be a challenge (sounds like fun). Hopefully, the more skilled modellers among us may have some suggestions for me.

I am getting really comfortable using the airbrush to the point I am always looking for things to paint 357 This could give me more opportunity. 2285_

Thanks again for the help.

Brent
Brent:
I found in my library (downstairs) Royalty Rides the Rails by Larry Shaak. (2009, printed by Blitzprint, which may mean privately printed).
This has a few colour photos of the train. There are 2 colour shots of "Six Royal Train Cars" which look like the same occasion, and are 2 variations of a 3/4 rear shot. The shade of blue is very dark and matching it from the photos would be tricky.
Also a few colour shots of the locos.
Interesting note. Pictures of the royal coat of arms which were different on the locos and the tenders.
A lot of the book covers personnel who worked on the train.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
David, thanks for the help. I am going to definitely look for that book at the big train show in Vancouver that is in two weeks. There should be a couple of book vendors with large selections there as usual. As far as matching the colour of the blue, I will use the engine for that. Maybe Rapido will offer up the colour in their new paint lines, though I don't think I could get that lucky. Nope 357

I was talking to a model ship builder and he suggested I try to get the Coats of Arms through that hobby. There use to be a hobby shop in Vancouver that had a huge inventory of model ship stuff. I think most of the shop was dedicated to model ships in fact. I hope it is still around, I'll have to check.
Thanks again.
Brent
I expect that Rapido will supply coats of arms on the loco and tender; I don't know if there were any on the coaches. The loco ones were substantial.
I'll talk to Jason or someone at Rapido about them at a show.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
David, if you do get a chance to chat with Jason, ask him about the possibility of him putting out the blue paint as well. That would make things easier in the painting end of things if I could get a match. He has already had it made for the loco's, so if he could bottle some up for sale, that would be awesome.

I had a good talk with Jason once when he was out here on the coast at the intro of the Canadian tour, However coming out West is an expensive undertaking, so I doubt we'll see anything Rapido at the (really big shoo) in Vancouver in two weeks.
Take care.
Brent