An exhibition in Dresden/Germany
[Image: salinas_1.jpg]

On weekend February 20th to 22nd we the “American Model Railroaders of Eastern Germany” have exhibited our enlarged modular layout in HO-Scale while a model railroad exhibition here in Dresden/Germany. Modules of seven modelers of our group were arranged as a big single track oval including a four track main station, a seven track staging yard and a large siding. Additional we could add a three track container terminal outside of the oval which was connected by a junction as part of the oval. The whole arrangement has a measuring of 63’ by 16’.

Preparing the modular layout.

[Image: IMG_0001.JPG]

Our main station while the exhibition.

[Image: IMG_0040.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0050.JPG]

[Image: Members_b.jpg]
The exhibition crew - I'm the senior member in center, fifth of right.

The layout was equipped with a DCC system so that we could run eight different long trains (sorry, 25 freight cars only) and a few locals, passengers and freights. Most of locos were equipped with sound decoders so all our guests did not only see our model trains but also they could hear the sounds of American locomotives.
What we not did was to present a specific railroad time or a specific area of USA. All of our members build or collect after own interests and we tried to show wide scenery of American model railroading. Most of visitors come for seeing a Big Boy and when they have seen it pulling a heavy freight train than their wishes are fulfilled about American model railroading. Diesel powered modern trains are of interest however missing without a Big Boy and without other large steam locos - that is not a right US layout!

Look here the whole picture gallery.

This was a very good event also for us modelers because most of us do not own a private layout in homes.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Very nicely-done layout, Bernhard. I'm especially impressed by the level of detail and the excellent-looking scenery - the ground around that steel water tower really caught my eye. My compliments to the entire group. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Looks like a great show -- excellent pics! Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
63' by 16' feet! Holy Schmoly that's impressive to say the very least. It looks impeccably done too. Your club has some great talent that is for sure. Thumbsup
Great pics.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
One of the advantages of modular railroading is for those who don't have room for a large layout at home, you have an opportunity to run long trains at club set ups.
Dear Bernhard.
That is a display worthy of any show here in the States. The details are fantastic. Some of the details I saw in some of the photos could be overlooked quite easily, and many of us here would not think to include them, especially the pile of old railroad wheels by the crossing in the one photo. They just look like they should be there so you don't notice them.
It is a shame that you couldn't put all the modules in a container and bring them over here for a tour of the country.
Maybe one of the big train show people would sponsor you. I'd like to see this personally (but not enough to get on another airplane unless Herc was driving)
Great modeling and a great show, and a great group picture. Thanks for sharing all the pictures too.
Charlie
Nice display.
Looks like it was quite popular with the crowd also.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Thank you very much to all for your friendly and honouring comments.

Yes, we have had four stressing days for building up and displaying our modules however we were enjoyed also for many discussions with visitors.
At evening of first displaying day we let run the trains for own pleasure and we operated with double long trains by coupling together two of the ordinary model trains. An idea was born! At second and third day we held short special sessions two times per day where we pushed two trains together after close to original switching methods – setting the caboose apart, moving and coupling the two trains together and coupling the caboose at end of long train again. In one case we pulled this long steam train by double heading, a N&W Y-6b and a class J, a very impressed view especially for the visitors.
The fine Kadee couplers are common unknown objects here in Europe, so the most visitors looked very interested while the switching times for the easy and uncomplicated operating with these couplers including the easy done pre-decoupling – things which are very unusable and nearly impossibly here with the most used loop and hook couplers. Pushing a train with 40 cars – an absurdity with European model trains – we did it without derailing!
I think that we did show a good and solid American model railroading and that we showed the differences to European model trains. However I know also that we own a few modules which need additional detailing and that must be our work of next time.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
wow bernhard,those pics were amazing! totally magazine quality! its kinda interesting to know that europe doesnt commonly use kadees or other comparible knuckle couplers,but looking at the model work so far,i dont think it matters Cheers --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
It is very nice. I agree that the attention to detail is excellent, and I like the little things such as the highway underpass and the shay in the valley below the bridge...and of course, the railroad museum!

Thank you for sharing.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Bernhard, I think the best complement I can give your club is that the scenery on the modules is done to a level that presents a wonderful presentation for the quality of your modeling which is absolutely first class.

Don't worry about a few modules that have scenery that is not up to the standard of the rest of the modules. At the modular club I'm involved with, we encourage members who are building a module to bring it to the first show after building as a "plywood central." Often times there are issues with track work that need to be resolved before the module functions reliably and those changes need to be completed before scenery is installed. The other advantage to having a module on display that is bare plywood, other modules on display with scenery started and not finished and then others on display that are complete, is that it gives the club an opportunity to show the public how a module is built and lets them see that the well scenicked modules they are looking at are the result of the craftsmanship of the club members, and not something that you guys went out and bought finished ready to "plug and play."