"Magoun pier" The beginings of my layout
Greg---the detail in your scenes is outstanding.I'm curious about the make of the tug-boat---is it a kit that is readily available ?
Hi Ed, thanks for your nice comments! This tug is available as a kit from "Seaport model works"
http://seaportmodelworks.com/h116-steam-...-p-38.html

Greg
Thanks for the link Greg---I have a small water scene on the Leetown Division and a small tugboat would complete the scene.Are these kits "user friendly" for "technically challenged" individuals like myself or are they better suited for skilled modellers
Hi Ed, that tug was the very first ship model that I ever built. I don't think it's a hard model to build.
I like to think that, if I could do it so could anyone else.

Greg
WOW, I didn't realize this was your modeling. I found that discussion of this superb modeling on Railroadline forums just the other day and made reference/link to it on MRH. Of course I could not make that link over on Model Railroader

What a great job.

PS: oops, I got confused. When I first opened this subject thread i thought it was doctorwayne operating under anothe name who had done this modeling,...sorry for my confusion
I believe you have identified the maker of the tug boat and the pile driving barge that is on an a waterfront scene I purchased from an estate.  Isn't this the same tug and barge?

[Image: DSCF3676%2C%20ps1000.jpg]

[Image: Waterfront%20scene%2C%20overview%2C800%281%29.jpg]

[Image: waterfront1%2C%20800pix.jpg]

I've been trying to figure out how I might add this waterfront scene into my new layout plan (hopefully without cutting it up).
(12-24-2019, 10:08 AM)railandsail Wrote: WOW, I didn't realize this was your modeling. I found that discussion of this superb modeling on Railroadline forums just the other day and made reference/link to it on MRH. Of course I could not make that link over on Model Railroader

What a great job.

PS: oops, I got confused. When I first opened this subject thread i thought it was doctorwayne operating under anothe name who had done this modeling,...sorry for my confusion

No, not my modelling, Brian....all I did was provide the link, to allow you to see Greg's fantastic work and the structure that you had mentioned elsewhere.

Wayne
I did have to end up trimming that waterfront scene just a bit, ...

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/31479?page=26

but I am rather happy at how I fit it in,...and that I could savage it for my own layout

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/31479?page=27
[Image: DSCF4180.JPG]

Now I'm working on putting in a pier terminal, but not quite as elaborate as yours... Icon_lol
[Image: DSCF5048.jpghttp:]
Brian & Wayne, thanks for your kind words & for bumping this thread back up to the top again!
Wayne, that is indeed the same steam tug "EXETER" kit as the one that I have built.
The barge is not quite the same as my "Sylvan" barge, but very close in looks.
I love your original busy waterfront scene that you reworked a bit to fit to fit your new layout.
Your newest scene already looks like an interesting place where rails meet water!
Thanks for sharing your waterfront scenes with us, and best of luck with your endeavors!

Greg
Greg,  hope you don't mind my bumping your subject thread up again? I almost feel really guilty posting my insignificant work on your subject thread.

I was really constrained in size that I could put a Walthers Pier Terminal on my new layout under construction, but here is my effort.

It has been suggested by several folks that I get rid of at least one of those big structures in my port facilities area on the outer portion of my peninsula,...perhaps the car float or the pier terminal building. I thought about it all Christmas long, and wasn't able to come up with any satisfying imagine in my mind. I decided to get some of the wall pieces of that pier terminal kit out of its box, then tape it together to see what the full size building might look like. WOW, I discovered that I had made my original paper footprint image too small. That bldg is 16” long,...not 12”. Now I'm really in trouble,...or not?

For a short period of time I considered leaving that pier terminal bldg off the layout. But once set in place it just looked so inviting as a waterfront item, and one that said Baltimore waterfront (Fells Point) to me. Plus its extra length looked that much more inviting. It could handle two box cars at a time
[Image: DSCF5066.jpg]

[Image: DSCF5059.jpg]
It was big enough inside that I could well imagine that box cars could be pulled in there, then partially loaded/unloaded by forklifts separating out goods to be stored temporarily in the terminal warehouse vs those that were being carfloated out to some other waterfront destination. (might even be able to leave the roof off of that kit to display such activity?)
[Image: DSCF5065.jpg]

Now its time to give Dave's suggestion some more thought. Perhaps I need to modify my carfloat structure so that it only gets full size recognition during operating sessions,..make some sort of extension such as his? At first I thought about putting the 'phantom/removable carfloat' suspended off the entire tip of the peninsula. But that would mean my dock slip for that watercraft would NOT be on peninsula acreage, and thus no need for my dockside crane. I needed some portion of that carfloat (and its slip space) on the peninsula,...thus the 'carfloat half'. The other half would be brought out and set upon an removable extension to the tip of the peninsula.

And with the car float in position.  It protrudes out into the doorway.... The car float is only there while its being worked, once per session.  Its unloaded, loaded and then it sails.
I have a fold down "river" that is only up when the car float is docked (about 20minutes of a 3 hr session.)
Dave

[Image: DSCF5058.jpg]

[Image: DSCF5062.jpg]

Now that I have that removable extension piece, why couldn't it support several other watercraft that might make use of that dock slip on occasions,....like a small freighter to be loaded by the dockside crane, or ......
[Image: DSCF5061.jpg]

......another tug boat taking a break.
[Image: DSCF5064.jpg]

[Image: DSCF5060.jpg]

I had to make a modification to those double tracks I originally had come all the back and under the dockside crane, but even that worked out well. I now have a runaround on those tracks for the working switchers.

BTW, here is an overall shot of the peninsula on my layout.
[Image: DSCF5040.jpg]
Double Ended,
I've looked at your images many times now,...and only today realized that you used the front side of that building twice. I guess you had enough extra pieces from having several kits to get that extra length. That face of that building is the best.

Maybe I will have to see if I can find one of those, and/or fabricate one.
HOLY SMOKE!!! That is some amazing work...and the lighting is perfect.
Hello Greg---your outstanding Magoun Pier appears to have inspired many others especially me.Back in July 2019 I had inquired about the tugboat in your scenes as I have a small water scene on my Leetown Division and I thought a tug would be a nice addition.I purchased a Walthers RR tugboat kit and thankfully my good friend Doctor Wayne graciously built and painted the model for me following the paint scheme of his Erie Northshore RR---here's the Anne Marie of the Erie Northshore Marine Division on her maiden voyage to Christophers Landing

She is indeed a mighty fine looking tug!
Doc Wayne did a beautiful job on her!

Greg
The first batch of photos in this thread are unbelievable?!? I couldn't believe that I was looking at a model. So good!