Remember Pearl Harbor
Today is Pearl Harbor Day.

Remember it.
I believe its the 75th anniversary.

The things that lead up to the attack by both sides was unbelievable. The bullheadedness of the Japanese Imperial Army leaders against the leaders of the Imperial Navy who was against the attack. Then the Pacific fleet was moved from San Diego to Hawaii and was seen as a act of U.S. aggression toward Japan. Hot headed high ranking commanders of the Imperial Army saw the move as a dagger to the throat of Japan. This is when the attack clock started ticking even though the commanders of the Imperial Navy was still arguing against any attack.

Prime Minister Tojo Hideki finally agreed with the Army commanders and ordered a strike on the American fleet.Isoroku Yamamoto the Commander of the Combine Fleet was still against the attack but, had to follow his orders.

On the American side it was one ultimatum after the other and then the Pacific fleet was moved from San Diego to Hawaii under protest of some Navy commanders because Hawaii was not defendable against a air strike. In order to appease some high ranking Navy and Army commanders B17s would be sent to Pearl and used on long range reconnaissance patrols along with using several subs on reconnaissance patrols as a early warning.

When Army and Navy intelligence lost track of Japan's main battle carriers warning alarms should have been sounded instead of second guessing a attack elsewhere. It didn't help matters when some intelligence officers thought it would be impossible to move a carrier strike force unnoticed to within striking distance of Pearl. Beside Pearl was to shallow to drop torpedoes from aircraft.

In the mean time a large carrier attack force was sailing toward Pearl on a extreme Northern course under strict radio silence and no smoke showing.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
It is indeed the 75th anniversary. The number is significant as a milestone because its likely the last one that will include many veteran survivors of the 1941 attack. Guys who were 18 years old at Pearl that day are now 93, so the youngest veteran observers of an 80th anniversary will be 98 years old. The eye witnesses will soon all be gone. I was gratified today to hear on Public Radio some recorded accounts made by Minnesota survivors of the attack. Some one had interviewed those guys many years later so their first hand stories will remain documented.
Ralph Wrote:It is indeed the 75th anniversary. The number is significant as a milestone because its likely the last one that will include many veteran survivors of the 1941 attack. Guys who were 18 years old at Pearl that day are now 93, so the youngest veteran observers of an 80th anniversary will be 98 years old. The eye witnesses will soon all be gone. I was gratified today to hear on Public Radio some recorded accounts made by Minnesota survivors of the attack. Some one had interviewed those guys many years later so their first hand stories will remain documented.

Thankfully there are several good books that gives eyewitness accounts from both sides. One of my favorite books is Walther Lord's "December 7th,Day Of Infamy" that is loaded with personal accounts of the attack. The best part this book was printed in '57 when memories of that attack was still fresh.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
We here in Arizona have a constant reminder of the events of 75 years ago. We have memorials and artifacts from the ship both in Phoenix and Tucson. I remember hearing the President's speech on the radio. Many of us were too young to understand back then what was happening, but I do remember from back then, and I don't forget each year. People had small banners in their windows with stars showing how many from the family were serving. The apartment down stairs had one with five stars on it. Yes, it's had to forget, even when you're too young to understand.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
My father had been in the Army for two full years when Pearl Harbor occurred. He was, at the time, acting as the Sergeant Major of the Presidio Hospital, and he found himself an officer three months later. "Fastest promotion he never asked for" was how he once described it.