Layout Plan
I can use some help here as I'm terrible at planning. I have two versions of the same plan here one is a simple Plan A (loop to loop) and the other is something I was working on to get some operations out of the plan , Plan B.
Here's how the story goes, a friend told me that Plan B if I removed the second mainline I would have more room to play with for rails for operations and give more room for structures and scenery, my reply to him was ok I'll remove the second Mainline and make it a Loop to Loop and made a comment that even if I made the plan into a Loop the Loop I would basicly have to add the additional line off the Loop to Loop to gain access to the industries but he disagreed , so I bring the question to you those of the Forum, can Plan A be better made for Operations, scenery and stuctures or would it be the same idea of what I've chicken scratched into Plan B. I would like to do mountains all around, rivers , bridges , a wharf and other structures to switch in and out of.
Ideas, thoughts help?
Thanks
Lynn

Plan A
[Image: plan%20loop%20to%20loop_zpsk3p1y5ts.jpg]

Plan B

[Image: post%20plan%20with%20sidings_zpsiu5iw2if.jpg]
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Myself I would go with plan A but lose the reverse loops and use the space they took up for industrial sidings and scenery. Run the railroad as a point to point like a real RR.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Myself I would go with plan A but lose the reverse loops and use the space they took up for industrial sidings and scenery. Run the railroad as a point to point like a real RR.
Thanks for the reply Mike, Mike I have a very difficult time accepting the point to point concept as I have always enjoyed simply running trains . I have automation available for the reverse loops, even the notion of doing operations sessions by myself is all new to me and its simply an option I would like to incorporate into the plan, for all I know I may enjoy switching out industrys.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
I've come to enjoy the operations aspect to the point where my layout consists of a single town that is switched. I plan on adding details like paperwork (sounds fun, no? Wink) and requirements like watering the engine as part of the stop.

If I wanted only operations, I would choose the loop to loop plan, and switch the left loop to a simple terminus. It looks like there is an engine facility and turntable there, so the loop would be unnecessary and the space could be used for additional industry if so desired.

However, I understand the appeal of running trains through scenery. It's very therapeutic in my opinion, plus it allows the options of entertaining visitors, breaking in engines, etc. You could keep the continuous run but cover most or all of the "return" track with the mountains. That way you can have continuous running, but be able to operate (and appear) as a point to point.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:I've come to enjoy the operations aspect to the point where my layout consists of a single town that is switched. I plan on adding details like paperwork (sounds fun, no? Wink) and requirements like watering the engine as part of the stop.

If I wanted only operations, I would choose the loop to loop plan, and switch the left loop to a simple terminus. It looks like there is an engine facility and turntable there, so the loop would be unnecessary and the space could be used for additional industry if so desired.

However, I understand the appeal of running trains through scenery. It's very therapeutic in my opinion, plus it allows the options of entertaining visitors, breaking in engines, etc. You could keep the continuous run but cover most or all of the "return" track with the mountains. That way you can have continuous running, but be able to operate (and appear) as a point to point.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
Andrew without the loop on the lower left would it not just become a point to loop? Yes there is going to be a TT and engine facility there and actually two engine houses. Yes mountains will be in the mix .
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Lynn
There's a gazillion track plans already on the internet plus on this & the many other MR forums. There's even some that have continuous running but have point to point operations. So do a Google search using parameters you've mentioned here. If you have a favorite RR there's probably plans for those already. Byron Henderson has posted many MR plans that are available on the internet: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.layoutvision.com/id9.html">http://www.layoutvision.com/id9.html</a><!-- m -->
If you're like most of us you will end up with many more cars than any of your plans can hold w/o a lot of 0-5-0 handling of rolling stock. Try to make a place for a 3-4 track yard. You might even think about a hidden storage yard or even a track that has a lift out cassette to put/take off cars.
If you're going to run steam & passenger trains then try to include 2 or 3 more depots. Make those continuous running in both directions so they get in the way of freight switching. >)
Also think about using DCC if there's going to be more than one train running. DCC may sound expensive but w/ all the additional electrical wiring & components required for DC running the costs end up being about the same.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Yes, the loop to loop would become a loop to point. But there still remains a way to turn the engine at each end, so you're covered. It rules out automated running that you could achieve with the loop to loop (or one big loop).

It's just a question of how you want things to run, and what's most important.

Andrew
If I was building that layout I would go with a dog bone instead of a reverse loop-you will have hand free loop running while you switch cars in the yard or just kick back and watch them run endless loops.

With DCC you could run two trains hands free just by speed matching the engines and they will never catch each other. Space 'em equally apart and they will pass on the straight of the dog bone.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:If I was building that layout I would go with a dog bone instead of a reverse loop-you will have hand free loop running while you switch cars in the yard or just kick back and watch them run endless loops.

With DCC you could run two trains hands free just by speed matching the engines and they will never catch each other. Space 'em equally apart and they will pass on the straight of the dog bone.
Larry are you suggesting something like Plan B but without the right reverse loop?
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
MasonJar Wrote:Yes, the loop to loop would become a loop to point. But there still remains a way to turn the engine at each end, so you're covered. It rules out automated running that you could achieve with the loop to loop (or one big loop).

It's just a question of how you want things to run, and what's most important.

Andrew
No Andrew I would prefer Automation over a Loop to Point ( turntable)
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
LynnB Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:If I was building that layout I would go with a dog bone instead of a reverse loop-you will have hand free loop running while you switch cars in the yard or just kick back and watch them run endless loops.

Larry are you suggesting something like Plan B but without the right reverse loop?

That is correct on plan B, but, looking closer you wouldn't need to use the reverse loop for normal loop running.

I need to start wearing my glasses. Wallbang
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Not a Problem Larry , I have to where mine always for seeing. Icon_lol
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada