Drive Springs
I am the proud owner of a couple N scale locomotives by Life -Like and I am in the dire need of some drive springs for the N scale GP38 locomotive! Would somebody please let me know where I could find these springs? Thank you, leon Thumbsup
Life-Like was bought out by Walthers is now their Proto line so I would check with them.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thank You Tyson. I will try Walthers.
Leon Cheers
I tried Walthers but had no luck. I am willing to try any other suggestions. Maybe I will have to use a universal drive in -place of the springs----just a thought.
Thanks to all of you 35
Can anybody give me a solution to this 'spring' problem? Could I replace the springs with a universal joint? If anybody thinks they have some sort of a solution please let me know.
Thanks Leon Wink
Not owning one of those type of locos I'm not even sure what spring you are talking about. Can you post a pic?
Mike

I hope you can see the spring. There are two of them which are attached to either side of the motor and the worm gear in the trucks.

Attached Files Image(s)

If I remember correctly there is a shaft the extends from both the motor and the trucks. Am I right ? It has been a long time since I have seen my LifeLike N scale locos.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
No there is no shaft between the motor and drive trucks 0nly the spring on both sides of the motor.
No not a connecting shsft but short shafts protruding from the trucks and motor.The reason I ask is I think what I did was trash the springs and use fuel line tubing and it seems like it was my GP 38-2s by LifeLike. I know they were very good runners but somebody wanted those Chessie units bad enough to pay me enough for them that I bought two KATO GP 35s with the money. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I think I seem to recall that solution somewhere before but forgot all about it until now. I have some Oxygen tubing that I will try (hope the id is a tight fit). I don't know if it will be as flexable as the fuel tubing you used. Just in case the tubing I have is too big---please let me know the size of tubing you used. I appreciate all of the info you have given me--Thanks a bunch. Cheers
Medical supply houses sell surgical tubing that comes in several sizes that I know they have used in HO for years.
Mike

Would shrink wrap insulation work?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I checked my supply of medical tubing but it is too big. So I got the idea of using the insulation from electrical wire and found some that had a tight fit. Now I need to find out if it is flexible enough.
PS. I don't know if the shrink wrap will work. I don't think I would like to apply heat around the motor shaft for fear of weakening any electrical joints. train
Let us know if it works.
Mike