Freelance 2017-1
Looking good Reinhard, I like the door that suggests they have an indoor railcar (un)loading area. I think you'd be capable of scratchbuilding that hook from styrene also. Thumbsup
Reinhard:
How do you get the covers off the car?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Reinhard:
How do you get the covers off the car?
In model or the prototype?
At the model are the plastic covers just tight fit to the car. They can be simple taken away.
The prototype uses the same crane the lifts the heavy coils to lift the covers at the clients side. That and the yellow hook are all hidden in the new building behind the closed gate.
I guess the steel works put the covers on the cars with a smaller crane in a separate step after the coils are loaded.
Reinhard
The hoods get stacked on top of each other, not too common but crane lifts hood and places it on top of the other hood on railcar, unloads car, replaces hood, lifts next hood places it on opposite hood, unloads car, replaces hood.Obviously this won't work for lids that are the length of the car but they're still stackable.
The above reply states the way it should happen but have seen many many pix of coil cars w/ hoods from other RRs on them.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Rscott417 Wrote:The hoods get stacked on top of each other, not too common but crane lifts hood and places it on top of the other hood on railcar, unloads car, replaces hood, lifts next hood places it on opposite hood, unloads car, replaces hood.Obviously this won't work for lids that are the length of the car but they're still stackable.
That is my understanding at the unloading side too.
How is the loading process at a huge rolling mill? I would assume they have some kind of pre and post processing to remove and put the hoods back without interfere with the heavy equipment loading the coils. I have never seen a rolling mill but a large one should produce several hundred coils per day fully utilizing the heavy equipment handling the coils. The hoods might be handled by smaller cranes more cost effective.

This an outdoor coil storage area of a rolling mill in East Chicago. I assume loading of coils is very much streamlines process.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rollin...87.8580525
Reinhard
It all looks cool to me Applause
Don Shriner
The yard of the east side industry looked quite crowded with two similar cranes. The second crane is no longer required after the coil unloading has been moved indoor and the machines can loaded with a heavy fork lift.
The west side industry might be a better place for the crane. The heavy cable drums could be handles inside too but an outside crane is not totally out of scope either.

[Image: 31988463960_711be84fca_c.jpg]IMG_5314 by faraway52, on Flickr
[Image: 31988464220_e7b385a935_c.jpg]IMG_5317 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Superb work as always Reinhard. Smile
The blue building front was to dominating the mostly brick and blown colored layout. It got replaced with a wallpaper derived from Clever Models THO-156. This attempt is quite crude. A wallpaper with vertical beams must carefully photoshopped to match the physical structure better.

[Image: 31622400944_b1007636c2_c.jpg]IMG_5329 by faraway52, on Flickr

My last append lost the photos by a mystery reason.

[Image: 31988463960_dc52737d37_c.jpg]IMG_5314 by faraway52, on Flickr
[Image: 31988464220_04837fe97a_c.jpg]IMG_5317 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Very nice. A new trick for photoshopped buildings was in the latest MR mag - put styrene strips or shapes over the raised portions.
MountainMan Wrote:Very nice. A new trick for photoshopped buildings was in the latest MR mag - put styrene strips or shapes over the raised portions.
Absolute. The plain front lacks all the 3D effects. The (mostly) English card board modelers are masters solving that problem. The grid of horizontal and vertical beams makes it difficult for me.
As a novice I do fight Photoshop to get the vertical beams at the corners and the sides of the gate.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:...My last append lost the photos by a mystery reason....

They're still there, or have been restored.

Wayne
Wayne, the photos are still on Flickr. I reused their link but BB tells me "the photo is not available" in German language in the original posting. I assume Flickr is the origin of that German message. Do you see the photos in the original append? Would be funny if you all see my photos but the owner gets a wrong error message.

I could not master Photoshop in one evening but scissors, knife and glue are my friends for fast solutions. The vertical and top/bottom beams got a second layer of cardboard for a minimal 3D effect.
I ran out of brown felt pen.... on Sunday evening...

[Image: 32089812110_b2859dca1f_c.jpg]IMG_5330 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:The yard of the east side industry looked quite crowded with two similar cranes. The second crane is no longer required after the coil unloading has been moved indoor and the machines can loaded with a heavy fork lift.
The west side industry might be a better place for the crane. The heavy cable drums could be handles inside too but an outside crane is not totally out of scope either.

[Image: 31988463960_711be84fca_c.jpg]IMG_5314 by faraway52, on Flickr
[Image: 31988464220_e7b385a935_c.jpg]IMG_5317 by faraway52, on Flickr

I've quoted the original post, and the photos show on my screen, so you should be able to see them, too.

Wayne